Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "feature" I found - you must exit from the driver's door or else...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be useful at a car show. [...] Wouldn't want someone like that accidentally driving your car into a crowd of people.

I raised this as an enhancement request a while back. We need a display mode because I do let people sit in the car, and while no one has tried to put it into gear yet, it could easily happen. Display mode would also keep the screen on--currently I get around that by rolling down the window and reaching in and touching it without opening the doors. But even then, it eventually turns off. I like the workaround of using the UMC for this, but I also like surprising people by popping out the charge port with the iPhone app.

I raised this as an enhancement request a while back. We need a display mode because I do let people sit in the car, and while no one has tried to put it into gear yet, it could easily happen. Display mode would also keep the screen on--currently I get around that by rolling down the window and reaching in and touching it without opening the doors. But even then, it eventually turns off. I like the workaround of using the UMC for this, but I also like surprising people by popping out the charge port with the iPhone app.

If you keep the key fob in YOUR pocket, anyone sitting in the car cant start it?

It seems that I keep running into situations where my gf and I ride someplace in the P85 and I have to run in to the store/house/burning building/bank/etc.

The car shuts down - which means that Kim is without audio entertainment... which means that everyone is at risk!

I think that I may have to begin exiting by climbing over Kim and through the pax door!

? All she needs to do is tap the touchscreen, and it will all stay on! Even if you take your FOB with you, she can still operate the touchscreen, have music running, and have the A/C on. My wife does this all the time.

It seems that I keep running into situations where my gf and I ride someplace in the P85 and I have to run in to the store/house/burning building/bank/etc.

The car shuts down - which means that Kim is without audio entertainment... which means that everyone is at risk!

I think that I may have to begin exiting by climbing over Kim and through the pax door!

It might be too saucy for the general public to "catch you" right at the moment that you are climbing over her :) It will be very awkward.

- - - Updated - - -

If you keep the key fob in YOUR pocket, anyone sitting in the car cant start it?

Yes, we repro'ed this dangerous behavior at a car display where an owner had the fob in his pocket 6-8 feet away from the car and one of us were able to drive the car forward. Bad!

You could reverse direction of your dash cam so it records/observes you coming out of the car, this would resolve the quantum dilemma and you would no longer be in both superposition states, but that won't resolve the actual firmware issue. I don't think the Tesla is small enough or fast enough for the quantum wave function to be anything more than negligible, so this is likely just firmware.

of course, what do I know? I am 'just a woman' not a techie.'

Actually both versions of you are quantum entangled. Until someone actually observes one of you exiting the driver side door, you are neither inside nor outside the car and therefore the car cannot turn off. Simple quantum mechanics. There's nothing Tesla can do.

Oh man! Has this simple thing really been overlooked by us all along? We will try as soon as I fly back home! Thanks!
Ben at the Tampa SC told me how to do this... I thought he said you just need to use the touch screen option to put the car in park vs the column control. When I asked him how long it would then stay on, I got the blank stare..."I don't know the answer to that, and you're the first person who's ever asked!"

I think that's what he told me. I know there was definitely a way.

So now I am Schrödinger's cat????

- - - Updated - - -

Being in the software biz, I am more amused at this "feature" than anything else - it goes to show "features" or "bugs" can crop up easily when interfacing with human behavior that is unpredictable.

They only crop up easily when programmers make invalid assumptions, in this case about human behavior. It's not a law of nature ...

Ben at the Tampa SC told me how to do this... I thought he said you just need to use the touch screen option to put the car in park vs the column control. When I asked him how long it would then stay on, I got the blank stare..."I don't know the answer to that, and you're the first person who's ever asked!"

I think that's what he told me. I know there was definitely a way.

I often stop to run an errand or grab some groceries with my wife in the passenger's seat. I go inside the store (taking my FOB with me) and she stays in the car, A/C on, listening to the radio and browsing the internet. Really, tapping the screen is all it takes.

But the fact that this isn't common knowledge should be blamed on the nearly non-existent car manual. I think Tesla took the Apple approach here. Let the user learn by experimenting.

They only crop up easily when programmers make invalid assumptions, in this case about human behavior.
For this type of concern, it's typically "the spec doesn't say" rather than just programmers willy nilly making up crazy stuff. In fact, some of us do fun things like use hot pink whenever the spec doesn't specify which color to use in the UI. That tends to wake up the designers pretty quickly that they need to pick some colors already.

I reported this back in feb of this year and my post got ZERO love! I used this trick to leave my radio on while washing my car in the driveway.

That was prior to me learning about popping it into neutral and then engaging the parking brake on the touchscreen.