Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Feature... powered doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
self closing doors? really? how many issues would there be with this kind of superfluous option? I have had and enjoyed the BMW soft closing doors but IMHO this is just a recipe for major issues

Possibly, I would even go so far as to say probably, though I suspect the underlying technology is not really that much more complex than the BMW soft closing doors. and I have not *heard* about as many problems with the MX front doors, especially compared with the back doors.

However... "superfluous option" pretty much covers most of Tesla's features... I mean, come on, putting door handles that pop out? or using an LCD for a display on something that is bouncing around compared to good old analog gauges? how long until that darn thing cracks? (I wonder how much R&D had to go into mounting the screens so they would be insulated from the day to day car movement?)

and from what I have seen here on the forums.. most of Teslas' cars are recipes for major issues, and often seem to run into them... but Tesla works hard to fix them (and does seem to) and everyone deals with them because the cars are so cool that we are willing to.

For that matter, purchasing a car that averages around 100k, when we could be buying something like a Chevy Spark at 25k that will get us around town equally well seems like the definition of "superfluous option" <grin>.

Anyway, I suspect that, like other things, it would be an option that you could get or not, and probably enable or not.

Tell me how much you like them after someone parks a car with them next to you and the door flies open and dings your door...:eek:

I was trying them out at a gallery on Saturday, and a small kid got almost knocked down when the door flew open and hit him.