Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Feature... powered doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the self driving demo video, when the person steps out to go into the office, they don't close the door, it is closed automatically (like a model X). I haven't seen this as an option (yet) on the configurator, but it feels like it is likely to be coming soon.

Thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
See, there you go pointing out obvious errors in my assumptions... no fair! now that you say that I actually remember seeing the falcon wing doors as it left the garage.

OK, but can I still hope to see auto-open/close doors on the model S someday? :)

• Funny
Reactions: CSFTN
Before the Video: Lots of mocking regarding the Automatic opening doors of the X. I mocked it as well mostly it was opening on people when they didn't want it to, and I didn't see a lot of upside to them aside from laziness.

After the Video: No mocking.

I'm still on the fence about the falcon wing doors... they are just about the coolest thing EVER, and I have wanted doors like that forever... HOWEVER, They just seem like there are too many things that have to work perfectly and align just right for them to work well... I have had lots of cars over the years that after a few years the doors started to need a little extra push, were out of alignment by an eighth of an inch or so... none of which would really impact a normal door, but it could stop that complex door in its tracks.

I ended up getting the Model S because it was a bit cheaper, but I still drool over those doors. (even when I am not sure about them.)

Auto-opening for the main doors though, I can see that as being pretty helpful, in the rain, when your hands are full... we bought a minivan a few years ago with powered side doors, and my wife laughed at me... "who is ever going to care about opening the door with a push of a button?" when we were thinking about getting something new recently, powered doors were at the top of her wish list. and if the power part has problems, you should still be able to open and close them manually if needed.

Going back a few more years, I remember having almost the exact same conversations about power windows, how lazy can you be to not even be able to roll up your windows. (for you young whippersnappers out there, we used to have to put the windows up and down with a little crank handle! that was right around the time that dinosaurs had stopped roaming the earth according to my kids)

Reactions: Cyclone
My previous car had "self closing" doors - when the door was close to being closed, the car would take car of the rest and fully close the door.

I didn't miss that "feature" with my "classic" P85 - and I don't see much value in having car doors automatically open or close. Like the Falcon Wing doors, that feature adds unnecessary complexity - because you not only need the hardware to do the open/close operation, you also need to add sensors to ensure this is being done safely. You don't want to bang into hard objects that might impede the opening of the doors (such as other cars, walls, posts, bicycles, kids, ...). And you don't want the doors to close onto an object (leg, hand, ...).

We're planning to order a Model S soon, and if this was an extra priced option, it's an option we would decline.

Reactions: brkaus
and I don't see much value in having car doors automatically open or close.

I dont know how much value there is, but it is certainly cool. (though not as cool as the falcon wing doors)

Like the Falcon Wing doors, that feature adds unnecessary complexity - because you not only need the hardware to do the open/close operation, you also need to add sensors to ensure this is being done safely. You don't want to bang into hard objects that might impede the opening of the doors (such as other cars, walls, posts, bicycles, kids, ...). And you don't want the doors to close onto an object (leg, hand, ...).

True, but I don't mind unnecessary complexity as long as it is setup such that if it fails the device is still functional. (I am assuming that if the self open/close option fails, you can still open the door.) Honestly, much as I like them, I would probably decline the extending handles given the option, if they fail, you're not getting in the car very easily. And of course, I am assuming that the sensors / safeties are there for the points you bring up.

We're planning to order a Model S soon, and if this was an extra priced option, it's an option we would decline.

For me, it would depend on the cost. I would like them, but not at an exorbitant rate, and I would not order the P100 just for self-opening doors. (assuming I could afford the P100 in any case <grin>)

For me self closing doors are not a worthwhile expense. I mean, How hard or time consuming is it to flick the door shut? plus, what happens when or if something gets stuck between the door like the seatbelt or something.

They're so nice when you have a sleeping baby or trying to be quiet. Also, the contraption that holds the door on hills, that's really nice too. Our 7 has that, you can basically open the door on the steepest of hills but the door always weighs the same, it basically assists when it has to in either direction, either pushing the door open with you or assisting and keeping the door from slamming shut on you.

Reactions: David99
I can open my door just fine and close it. Having the door stay in place exactly where I let it go no matter what angle the street is would be a great feature. Elon, learn from BMW for this feature :)
What I would love is an automatic hatch. Many times I have bags in my hands that I want to put in the back but I have to stop, put a bag down and open the hatch manually and pick up the bag again. Have the backup camera do face recognition or sense the key fob approach the car from behind, voice recognition, ... There has to be a way.

I can open my door just fine and close it. Having the door stay in place exactly where I let it go no matter what angle the street is would be a great feature. Elon, learn from BMW for this feature :)
What I would love is an automatic hatch. Many times I have bags in my hands that I want to put in the back but I have to stop, put a bag down and open the hatch manually and pick up the bag again. Have the backup camera do face recognition or sense the key fob approach the car from behind, voice recognition, ... There has to be a way.

On our BMW 7 you kick your foot underneath the rear bumper (you dont have to touch underneath) and it blinks the lights, makes a sound and opens the trunk. (Assuming you have the key nearby.)

• Love
Reactions: David99 and xborg
Another BMW feature that I didn't expect to like but LOVE are soft-close doors. Not quite auto-close as we're discussing here. But, you close the door gently to where there's just contact, and the car then takes over and closes the rest. It isn't any more convenient than closing the door yourself, of course- so I probably wouldn't have ordered it as a stand-alone option. That said, it's VERY nice not to have to slam the doors shut. There's something much more relaxing and civilized about it (or, I just have so much anxiety that slamming doors are bothersome). It's the one feature I always find myself assuming the Tesla has, and forgetting that it doesn't. As a result, I end up having to re-open and close the Tesla door just about every time.

Reactions: David99
For whatever reason with my current car, lots of people either don't close the door hard enough and it stays open a little, or close it way too hard and I wince from it slamming. (even my kids, even though they get in and out of the car regularly!)

Since most of these people would do that anyway even with an auto-close door (they would not know it closed automatically), I suspect this wouldn't help, but man, it's annoying to have to get out of the car to re-close the back door, or waiting for something to break from the slammers!

self closing doors? really? how many issues would there be with this kind of superfluous option? I have had and enjoyed the BMW soft closing doors but IMHO this is just a recipe for major issues

True! I prefer soft closing doors like on my BMW 550i. I remember the first time I test drove a MS, I pulled the door softly and was trying to figure out why it didn't close. lol