Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Feature Request: full regenerative breaking when pressing the break slightly

Should we add Break Activated between Low and Standard

• Yes, add Break Activated

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • No, Options are bad and nobody wants this.

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a tough one for me.

I do think Tesla's implementation is brilliant (extremely smooth), but I do wish I could just let off the accelerator pedal and just "coast" without regen. Sometimes you just want to coast...

But then other times I want to engage max regen but not use the brakes.

So I really made heavy use of the regen handle in my Gen 2 Prius. When going down the West Hills (my commute route into Portland) I would engage regen mode and the prius would do mad regen braking. Normally when letting off the accelerator it would do a little regen, but not full regen (the handle gave you full regen).

What was interesting was that once I made it most of the way down the hill, the puny prius battery would be full and it could no longer regen brake. But they wanted to keep the user experience consistent and so it would shove the CVT ratio all the way over so the ICE was rotating rapidly and providing some amount of compression braking. It was just funny to me (the noise kind of freaked out my wife since it was unexpected).

So yeah, if Tesla is listening: I want a third control. Not just the accelerator and the brake, but also perhaps a hand control to engage regen.

The Bolt's 1 pedal driving setup is superior to any other regen braking setup out there IMO (admittedly a bit biased). You can get max regen at any time simply by pressing the regen paddle down, and it will bring the Bolt to a full stop without your foot being anywhere near the brake pedal. Pressing the regen paddle down while in "L" drive mode (heavier regen setting), regen is so strong that I still sometimes have to press the accelerator down to creep up to the stoplight. I can literally go days at a time without ever touching the brake pedal, driving local roads as well as the highway.

The Bolt's 1 pedal driving setup is superior to any other regen braking setup out there IMO (admittedly a bit biased). You can get max regen at any time simply by pressing the regen paddle down, and it will bring the Bolt to a full stop without your foot being anywhere near the brake pedal. Pressing the regen paddle down while in "L" drive mode (heavier regen setting), regen is so strong that I still sometimes have to press the accelerator down to creep up to the stoplight. I can literally go days at a time without ever touching the brake pedal, driving local roads as well as the highway.
I heard/read that Nissan e-pedal also provides true one pedal driving.

I heard/read that Nissan e-pedal also provides true one pedal driving.

Yes, I was of the opinion that the Bolt’s was the best blended implementation until I drove an ‘18 Leaf. E-pedal is really slick and doesn’t require futzing with any paddles or L mode or anything. Absolutely one-pedal driving outside of extreme edge cases.

That said after living with Toyota, GM, Kia, and Nissan’s blended braking systems I’ve come to really like Tesla’s setup. I used to think it was just a cost cutting thing but it’s nice to gave actual brake feel again and efficiency hasn’t suffered.

• Informative
Reactions: Knightshade
It would be nice if it blended in friction braking when regen is reduced to keep the experience consistent at least. I was a bit surprised at 100% for a road trip when there was no regen at all. Luckily I remembered quickly why that was and hit the brakes.

Blended braking discussions seem to come up frequently, people not see other threads or ?

Personally I like non-blended braking as it seems much more obvious to me what will happen, even in the cases where regen is less or disabled due to battery SOC or temp etc

I hope Tesla never complicates the braking by making it a blended system - I know not everyone agrees.. Once you master the way it works though, it is my belief you would come to love it as it is..