Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New features in Premium Upgrades Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the updated configurator, it looks like the Premium Upgrades Package (PUP) includes a few features that weren't previously mentioned (highlighted in bold):
  • Premium heated seating with 12-way, power adjustable front seats
  • Center console with covered storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
  • Premium audio system
  • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
  • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
  • Custom driver profiles
  • LED fog lamps
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
    • In-car streaming media
    • Over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular
What's interesting is these aren't changes to the Model 3 PUP cars themselves. Rather, by "adding" features to the PUP, they're essentially clarifying what features the standard vehicle will not have, which as someone who intends on getting the base car, is very interesting.

On the flip side, PUP no longer mentions the following features in bold, which implies that the base car might get wood decor and a power steering column, too:
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
I wonder what additional features Tesla could add to PUP to bring the cost of base Model 3 down to $35K, while also helping increase the take rate of the $5,000 PUP. Here's what I could brainstorm...
  • Homelink (no hardware changes needed; just deactivate it for non-PUP)
  • Rear center armrest
  • Door pocket "ambient" lighting
  • Center console rear A/C vents
  • 18" Aero wheels (non-PUP car can ride on LRR 225/55-17 instead)
What's exciting about Tesla is that the base cars haven't been built or finalized yet (they're still a promise at this point), so it could flux in the coming months.

Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
  • In-car streaming media
This is only in the PUP package now, and will also be added to Standard and PUP both if you want to pay for it. I dont see this as a distinguishing feature from the $35k car

Actually, the new 3 series needs either an option to get homelink or the convenience tier. :-( BMW options so many things that should be standard, it is pretty ridiculous.
Before I had it, I didn't think homelink was that big of a deal, but I'm loving not having to remember to close my garage door and having the door open as soon as I get home. :)

Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
  • In-car streaming media
This is only in the PUP package now, and will also be added to Standard and PUP both if you want to pay for it. I dont see this as a distinguishing feature from the $35k car

Isn't it just the 1 year included that differentiates PUP from standard? With standard you would presumably have to pay for it from day 1.

Isn't it just the 1 year included that differentiates PUP from standard? With standard you would presumably have to pay for it from day 1.

If your placed your order before 01JUL18, you get premium for free. Place your order after 01JUL18 you get one year premium and then after that you pay ~$8 a month or $100 a year. If you don’t get PUP you get standard connection, or if you don’t pay the fee after the first year you will drop to standard connection.

If your placed your order before 01JUL18, you get premium for free. Place your order after 01JUL18 you get one year premium and then after that you pay ~$8 a month or $100 a year. If you don’t get PUP you get standard connection, or if you don’t pay the fee after the first year you will drop to standard connection.
Are you saying that without PUP you won’t have the option to pay for premium connectivity? I’m with @Peteski here - assuming the only difference is that PUP comes with it free for a year while non-PUP would need to pay for it from day one.

With the updated configurator, it looks like the Premium Upgrades Package (PUP) includes a few features that weren't previously mentioned (highlighted in bold):
  • Premium heated seating with 12-way, power adjustable front seats
  • Center console with covered storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
  • Premium audio system
  • Custom driver profiles
  • LED fog lamps
  • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • In-car streaming media
What's interesting is these aren't changes to the Model 3 PUP cars themselves. Rather, by "adding" features to the PUP, they're essentially clarifying what features the standard vehicle will not have, which as someone who intends on getting the base car, is very interesting.

On the flip side, PUP no longer mentions the following features in bold, which implies that the base car might get wood decor and a power steering column, too:
  • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
  • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
  • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
I wonder what additional features Tesla could add to PUP to bring the cost of base Model 3 down to $35K, while also helping increase the take rate of the $5,000 PUP. Here's what I could brainstorm...
  • Homelink (no hardware changes needed; just deactivate it for non-PUP)
  • Rear center armrest
  • Door pocket "ambient" lighting
  • Center console rear A/C vents
  • 18" Aero wheels (non-PUP car can ride on LRR 225/55-17 instead)
What's exciting about Tesla is that the base cars haven't been built or finalized yet (they're still a promise at this point), so it could flux in the coming months.

Strip it too much and there will be little demand for the car. For $35,000.00 you can get some really good ICE cars that have many more features. This mid end market will be a different to crack. Looks like the high end market is getting saturated hence the need to open orders to anyone willing to buy the high end models. This time next year if production hits and maintains the rate promised will be much harder to sell in.