TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New features in Premium Upgrades Package

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by michaelwb, Jul 10, 2018.

1. michaelwb

michaelwb Member

With the updated configurator, it looks like the Premium Upgrades Package (PUP) includes a few features that weren't previously mentioned (highlighted in bold):
    • Premium heated seating with 12-way, power adjustable front seats
    • Center console with covered storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
    • Premium audio system
    • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
    • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
    • Custom driver profiles
    • LED fog lamps
    • Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
      • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
      • In-car streaming media
      • Over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular
    What's interesting is these aren't changes to the Model 3 PUP cars themselves. Rather, by "adding" features to the PUP, they're essentially clarifying what features the standard vehicle will not have, which as someone who intends on getting the base car, is very interesting.

On the flip side, PUP no longer mentions the following features in bold, which implies that the base car might get wood decor and a power steering column, too:
    • Premium heated seating and cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
    • 12-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles
    • Premium audio system with more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer
    • Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
    • Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
    • LED fog lamps
    • Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
    I wonder what additional features Tesla could add to PUP to bring the cost of base Model 3 down to $35K, while also helping increase the take rate of the $5,000 PUP. Here's what I could brainstorm...
    • Homelink (no hardware changes needed; just deactivate it for non-PUP)
    • Rear center armrest
    • Door pocket "ambient" lighting
    • Center console rear A/C vents
    • 18" Aero wheels (non-PUP car can ride on LRR 225/55-17 instead)
    What's exciting about Tesla is that the base cars haven't been built or finalized yet (they're still a promise at this point), so it could flux in the coming months.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. smatthew

smatthew Member

I'm pretty sure three of those bullet points are PUP-only...
    • Homelink (no hardware changes needed; just deactivate it for non-PUP)
    • Rear center armrest
    • Door pocket "ambient" lighting

3. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

This new "feature" is just specifying that the Premium connectivity will not be free after the first year. Those who ordered prior to July 1st are grandfathered to continue receiving it for free (at least for now).

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

I think that is unlikely to be the case since Elon has already said that "even the base car at $35K will beat any other car in its class" like the Audi A4 or BMW 3 both of which have Homelink for example.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Actually, Homelink is optional on the BMW 3 Series.

6. Ghanziang

Ghanziang Member

Actually, the new 3 series needs either an option to get homelink or the convenience tier. :-( BMW options so many things that should be standard, it is pretty ridiculous.

• Like x 1
  7. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

Premium Connectivity (1 year included):
    • Satellite maps with live traffic visualization
    • In-car streaming media
    • Over-the-air updates via Wi-Fi & cellular
    This is only in the PUP package now, and will also be added to Standard and PUP both if you want to pay for it. I dont see this as a distinguishing feature from the $35k car

8. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

What the market will bear....

9. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Before I had it, I didn't think homelink was that big of a deal, but I'm loving not having to remember to close my garage door and having the door open as soon as I get home. :)

• Like x 5
  10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The base C Class has it as standard also but it's base price is equal to a Model 3 with the PUP added.

11. mickificki

mickificki Member

Same here it’s such a useful feature that I’d never known existed.

12. daktari

daktari Member

Is there a possibility to use your own SIM-card from your own carrier to enable a connected car?

13. m3snowy

m3snowy Member

Not a chance.

14. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

Where are you getting data for $8 a month? I wanna know!

15. sreams

sreams Member

I can add a device to my AT&T plan for $10/mo. Not quite as good as $8, but getting close.

• Like x 1
  16. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Why are you negotiating against yourself? Informative, but dude, not helpful! :p

17. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

Isn't it just the 1 year included that differentiates PUP from standard? With standard you would presumably have to pay for it from day 1.

18. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

If your placed your order before 01JUL18, you get premium for free. Place your order after 01JUL18 you get one year premium and then after that you pay ~$8 a month or $100 a year. If you don’t get PUP you get standard connection, or if you don’t pay the fee after the first year you will drop to standard connection.

19. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Are you saying that without PUP you won’t have the option to pay for premium connectivity? I’m with @Peteski here - assuming the only difference is that PUP comes with it free for a year while non-PUP would need to pay for it from day one.

20. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Strip it too much and there will be little demand for the car. For $35,000.00 you can get some really good ICE cars that have many more features. This mid end market will be a different to crack. Looks like the high end market is getting saturated hence the need to open orders to anyone willing to buy the high end models. This time next year if production hits and maintains the rate promised will be much harder to sell in.

• Disagree x 2