Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New firmware causes MCU to reboot frequently due to aftermarket audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first time in a long while, experienced a spontaneous console reboot when pulling out of our garage yesterday.

The car was operating - with the console display black and then beginning the reboot sequence on its own.

Since I've had a Model S since early 2013, I didn't worry about it - and expected everything to come back to normal once the reboot sequence finished.

New owners who haven't seen this before - could be in for a surprise, especially if this happens while driving...

We're on the 6.1 release - hopefully Tesla has fixed this in a later release.

• Informative
Reactions: Matutino
Version 2018.6.1 641efac was installed last week. My MCU randomly reboots since the update. I have deterred that it is rebooting about every two days since the update. It's not causing a problem anywhere I can see. Just annoying.
I have had the same results since installing this version. Three reboots since last week.

I took my car to the Tysons service center and they resolved MCU issue. Here is the solution:

Technician reflashed bluetooth module due to corrupt module data. Advised by engineering team if MCU still reboots after the reflash to perform a factory reset.

Note: I had to take the car to Safe & Sound to remove an aftermarket component i.e. a DSP controller that was installed in the cubby area so the service center could access the wires behind the MCU to troubleshoot the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
My car has also been rebooting the MCU more frequently lately, and i am also (still) on 2018.6.1.
Has anyone reporting this issue had a newer software package installed and seen a difference? I.e., does anyone have evidence that it is tied to the 2019.6.1 software update?
I have been eagerly awaiting the later software with improved Nav and improved Autopilot. But if that also resolves the MCU reboots, that will be a bonus.
Otherwise, maybe a service call is in order? Until recently, my car spontaneously rebooted only once or twice a year...