Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Firmware double click open driver door disable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey so the new firmware update was wondering how to disable the auto open door when you unlock the car. This is of course done by clicking twice on the roof of the key fob. This latest firmware update seems to always open the front driver door no matter what when unlocking the car using the key fob. Does anyone else find this annoying? Is there an option in the controls menu to stop this?

Thanks
V

Reactions: KaiserSoze
I don't think there is a way to disable it. Personally, I really like it. Why double click at all if you don't want to open the Door, just set the car to unlock automatically when you have the key fob with you?
I second this, I really like this feature since I drive alone most of the time, and frequently have things in my hands getting in the car. If you want to unlock the car, just walk up to it, any door will open when the handle is pressed. Would love to see a triple click for passenger side door, or summon activation via key FOB next.

Wish I could disable it. Just had a situation this weekend where I wasn't close enough to auto-unlock the car and kids needed some stuff out of the back. So I unlocked with the fob and driver door swings open.

OTOH, this is only the second time I've unlocked the car with the fob in 6 weeks and 2000 miles and I know the first time I did so was just trying it out.

Reactions: joshua.MA
Wish I could disable it. Just had a situation this weekend where I wasn't close enough to auto-unlock the car and kids needed some stuff out of the back. So I unlocked with the fob and driver door swings open.

OTOH, this is only the second time I've unlocked the car with the fob in 6 weeks and 2000 miles and I know the first time I did so was just trying it out.
In a situation like that, I would just open the fwd for them or trunk via the fob

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Sure. But that's not always how the brain processes. This was a "hey dad, unlock the car" moment. Some of this may come back to my dislike for the auto presenting front door too. I keep that off because only about half the time the door would open, would actually be times I wanted it to open. And let's not forget what is probably the biggest design flaw of this car -- no sensors in the front doors, relying solely on those in the FWDs. So objects by the front door in close proximity that could damage the front door if it were to swing open are usually not detectable by the sensors. I make it a habit to not park by such obstacle, but not everyone does. And we normally don't have control over who parks next to us or what obstacles may present themselves once our car is parked somewhere.

i mean even some times when you are trying to lock the car on the key fob some times i'll press the lock button twice instead of once and then boom car door opens...( i get it its my fault but mistakes happen all the time sometimes on other cars i'll press lock button three times to make sure car is locked)

I think they should implement two options to fix this:

1. Will function better with a different key press combo..such as double click and hold on the second click. Similar to how the charger part opens when you hold the trunk button as opposed to just pressing the trunk button which opens the trunk
or
2. have an option control door section button to disable this option and revert to how it was.

HOPEFULLY the first option makes sense to everyone :)

Sure. But that's not always how the brain processes. This was a "hey dad, unlock the car" moment. Some of this may come back to my dislike for the auto presenting front door too. I keep that off because only about half the time the door would open, would actually be times I wanted it to open. And let's not forget what is probably the biggest design flaw of this car -- no sensors in the front doors, relying solely on those in the FWDs. So objects by the front door in close proximity that could damage the front door if it were to swing open are usually not detectable by the sensors. I make it a habit to not park by such obstacle, but not everyone does. And we normally don't have control over who parks next to us or what obstacles may present themselves once our car is parked somewhere.
I agree dislike how they didnt include sensors on the front doors....:(helps for opening/blind spot/object detection/parking/autopilot/my tesla enjoyment)

We were having breakfast at a local cafe this morning - someone walked in the door and announced "Hey who here drives a Tesla? Your driver side door is wide open."

Embarrassing. All I can think is that the fob double-clicked in my pocket and the door opened by itself. And there's no way to disable this?

Between this and the "close all doors on fob click" feature, I'm starting to seriously consider getting an RFID-blocking pouch for this stupid thing. Making the key shaped like the car was a fun idea, but accidental clicks are a constant problem!

Reactions: Blastphemy
We were having breakfast at a local cafe this morning - someone walked in the door and announced "Hey who here drives a Tesla? Your driver side door is wide open."

Embarrassing. All I can think is that the fob double-clicked in my pocket and the door opened by itself. And there's no way to disable this?

Between this and the "close all doors on fob click" feature, I'm starting to seriously consider getting an RFID-blocking pouch for this stupid thing. Making the key shaped like the car was a fun idea, but accidental clicks are a constant problem!
I didn't think driver door could be opened with FOB, can it?