TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New firmware will change internet connection type.

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by nswfugitive, Jun 13, 2018.

1. nswfugitive

nswfugitive Member

#1 nswfugitive, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Well, Tesla has now screwed up our ability to monitor our PW2 with the latest firmware update. They will now change via their code between wi-fi, ethernet and 3g networks. Looks like we will have to let Tesla know this isn't acceptable.

https://www.tesla.com/support/energy/own/powerwall/software-updates

Version 1.17
    • Added dynamic network management to use best internet connection type (Ethernet, Wi-Fi or Cellular)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. zanary

zanary Member

1.17 has been pushed out to only those Powerwall who need it around 2 months ago. It does break local monitoring with your own solution, but I think their concern is that no matter what they need to make sure that the Powerwall is always reporting to the Tesla NOC, so in order to increase the up-time, they've implemented this auto change between wifi, ethernet and carrier data network...

Not ideal for everyone, but I assume it allows them to have redundant connections into their NOC which for them is more important from a compliance perspective (ie, local utilities, and possible for ITC and SGIP (where needed) purposes).

3. eml2

eml2 Member

I have been on 1.17.1 since May 18 and there is no problem for me monitoring it locally via ethernet.

4. Shygar

Shygar Member

It would only potentially break it if you're not on Ethernet, or if you have spotty wifi (or your router/modem goes down), right? Doesn't sound too bad to me.

• Informative x 1
  5. BJReplay

BJReplay Member

There are reports that it prefers 3G over strong Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi AP next to the PWs). That's not ideal, and it looks like the only solution to that is ethernet.

6. nswfugitive

nswfugitive Member

So what will happen if your internet goes down? Ethernet won't help if your internet connection isn't available.

7. cwied

cwied Member

Has it been confirmed that the gateway actually disconnects from the ethernet if the Internet is down (vs. just using the other network connection to reach the server)?

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Member

Drop in a micro-WiFi router/bridge that feeds Ethernet to the PW. As long as you got one or two USB3 connectors nearby to power it.
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR802N.html

9. sashton

sashton Member

I have been running 1.17.2 for a while now. I monitor the PW via ethernet and my broadband fails and recovers at least twice a day. I issue an http get for the basic metrics from the GW every 30 seconds and it has not failed to respond once.

• Like x 1
  10. Shygar

Shygar Member

I just got 1.17.1 today. I was gonna test this by unplugging my cable modem

11. Shygar

Shygar Member

I also tested this today. I unplugged my modem for 20 minutes. I checked halfway through via my cell and could still connect to my powerwall. After turning my modem back on, it uploaded all of the data so I wasn't missing anything.

12. nswfugitive

nswfugitive Member

Maybe like TOU they will roll this out gradually or have the parameters so it will rarely switch over - trouble is we won't know until they do it but this firmware version gives them the option - not us.

13. Artimis

Artimis Member

• Informative x 1
  14. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Is the powerwall cat 5 or cat5E? Can I use it with 4 pairs of wire (I am using the other 4 on my IP cam).

15. cwied

cwied Member

I've connected mine to a 100 mbps switch, so 2 pairs should be fine (as should cat 5).