Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Fobs passive entry, old one gets update? [No, not possible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would probably get one if I didn't switch phone late last year. The new phone (Pixel 3XL) had been working 100% of the time in the last 10 months. It had been working so well that I wish our Model X could be operated just like it. I drove the X on weekends with the family and kind of really dislike that I have to take the keyfob with me.

Does anyone have the new key fob and can confirm that the passive entry works? I am one of those with iPhone 8 and my phone/key works about 70% of the time and it seems like it doesn't work 100% of the time its raining or I have my hands full

you actually go somewhere with out your phone? Like, how do you even pay for stuff?
Can't speak to what @N.Y.R. does but I carry a wallet that has some cotton-paper-based currency. You know, OLD stuff.

Oh, and I also carry my phone almost all the time I leave the house AND a fob. If the phone doesn't work to unlock the car (5-8% of the time), I instantly use the fob. No "put the phone in airplane mode" then "take the phone out of airplane mode", or any other workaround.

Reactions: N.Y.R. and davewill
Does anyone have the new key fob and can confirm that the passive entry works? I am one of those with iPhone 8 and my phone/key works about 70% of the time and it seems like it doesn't work 100% of the time its raining or I have my hands full

FedEx has my scheduled delivery for tomorrow. If I do actually get it, I'll give it a try and report back .......

I hate that sort of fine print. Other than (some) folks who ordered accessories before their cars were delivered, who picks up an accessory and leaves it unopened for 30 days?

Entitled consumer never looks at the big picture. What is a retailer going to do with an opened keyfob with no assurance on condition, pairing status, tampering and other concerns with non fungible stock?

Few people would leave unopened for 30 days but that is not the point, you have to establish a limit on your return liabilities.

Can't speak to what @N.Y.R. does but I carry a wallet that has some cotton-paper-based currency. You know, OLD stuff.

Oh, and I also carry my phone almost all the time I leave the house AND a fob. If the phone doesn't work to unlock the car (5-8% of the time), I instantly use the fob. No "put the phone in airplane mode" then "take the phone out of airplane mode", or any other workaround.

I have a fob for my tesla as I mentioned. I dont have a problem with phone as key, it has worked like 99% of the time. I first got it because I thought phone as key might not work, but if I am honest, it was also because I had been carrying around 2 BMW keys (one for my car, one for my wifes) for over a decade, and removing one of those keys but still carrying the other made me feel like something was missing.

Wife has iPhone 7+. me, 11 Pro Max. She drive X. Me P3. Works 4 us.

IMG_7800.jpeg

Last year, I was almost certain I was going to buy the key fob because my phone-as-key was very flaky. That was on an original Pixel. I now have the Pixel 3a and phone key has been flawless. This indicates to me that the issue was never the car; it was the phone's implementation of the BT stack.

Given that my phone works very well now to unlock the car, I def won't be buying the fob, even the newest version with passive entry.

One caveat for those considering a fob in order to have 100% reliability: My key fob for my 2014 Model S is not 100% reliable. For the most part, when you approach the car, the handles will retract. On occasion though, you have to push on the handle to get it to retract. Sometimes there's a delay. Rarely I have to doubleclick the fob to get the handles to retract. That said, maybe the implementation for Model 3 will be better.

Reactions: derotam