Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Fobs passive entry, old one gets update? [No, not possible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two gen2 key fobs should be included with the car at time of purchase :)

And apple should never gotten rid of the 3.5mm jack. And verizon shouldn't get rid of copper POTS lines, and we should just go live in caves...

Yes I am exaggerating and while I don't necessarily disagree with you as I would love to have a fob where the signal would not be blocked by my body because it would be in my front pocket....This was Tesla's schtick, to get rid of fob's. Unfortunately there are issues that cause people to just want a fob and it will work great BECAUSE it is designed specifically to work with Tesla's hardware.

Tesla can and has done lots wrong but you are trying to say that everything is 100% wholly Tesla's fault and Tesla's absolute responsibility no matter where the problem lies.

If you don't want to learn about the technical issues that affect all this then that is on you.

There are a plethora of scenarios that people have with this but if it is an intermittent issue then it is most likely RF propagation related, as long as the fix isn't to turn off and on airplane mode.

If you have to do that then the BT on the phone is probably crashing for some reason.

And plenty more scenarios...You can't say that ALL the phone problems are caused by the same thing and that it MUST be a problem with Tesla, that is just being uninformed but is a common reaction.

I would love to discuss a particular scenario but unfortunately it probably won't help much if you continue your deadset mindset against Tesla.

dude, i give up. you're just being ridiculous now.

nobody is saying the phone key shouldn't be an option. the simple fact is that there is no reason that a $50k+ car in the year 2017 (or 2018 or 2019 or beyond) should not have a 100% reliable passive entry system included with the car. my 2013 chevy volt that cost $30k less than what i paid for the model 3 and is 5+ years older had one, there's no reason a car at this price point and with this level of technology in it should not also have one.

i understand the technical issues plenty. i'm not deadset against tesla. i'm not saying that all the phone problems are caused by the same thing, nor am i saying those problems are tesla's fault. what *IS* their fault is not giving their customers a fob with the car when they purchased it.

i love the car. hell, i love the phone key when it actually works. that being said, nothing is going to change the fact that they declined to give people a 100% reliable passive entry system with the purchase of a $50k+ car. a passive entry keyfob should have been included from the beginning. if they couldn't do that with BLE until just recently, then they should have included a traditional fob and put the hardware in the car to allow its use. period, end of story.

dude, i give up. you're just being ridiculous now.

nobody is saying the phone key shouldn't be an option. the simple fact is that there is no reason that a $50k+ car in the year 2017 (or 2018 or 2019 or beyond) should not have a 100% reliable passive entry system included with the car. my 2013 chevy volt that cost $30k less than what i paid for the model 3 and is 5+ years older had one, there's no reason a car at this price point and with this level of technology in it should not also have one.

i understand the technical issues plenty. i'm not deadset against tesla. i'm not saying that all the phone problems are caused by the same thing, nor am i saying those problems are tesla's fault. what *IS* their fault is not giving their customers a fob with the car when they purchased it.

i love the car. hell, i love the phone key when it actually works. that being said, nothing is going to change the fact that they declined to give people a 100% reliable passive entry system with the purchase of a $50k+ car. a passive entry keyfob should have been included from the beginning. if they couldn't do that with BLE until just recently, then they should have included a traditional fob and put the hardware in the car to allow its use. period, end of story.
I wonder if the relay/boosting attacks are why they didn’t use Standard RF like they did on the S.

Can anyone confirm how this works in terms of starting the vehicle? Does it have a time out like the other FOB or keycard (you have a short period to start after opening the door) or is it like the phone where as long as it's in your pocket the car will start. My biggest frustration with the v1 FOB is that I will unlock the car and then get out for some reason (get the mail, get something out of the garage, etc.) and then the car won't start unless I unlock it again with the FOB or place the FOB on the center console area. I understand why the v1 of the FOB works that way, just curious if the new one works more like every other FOB I've owned.

Can anyone confirm how this works in terms of starting the vehicle? Does it have a time out like the other FOB or keycard (you have a short period to start after opening the door) or is it like the phone where as long as it's in your pocket the car will start. My biggest frustration with the v1 FOB is that I will unlock the car and then get out for some reason (get the mail, get something out of the garage, etc.) and then the car won't start unless I unlock it again with the FOB or place the FOB on the center console area. I understand why the v1 of the FOB works that way, just curious if the new one works more like every other FOB I've owned.

I can confirm the new passive entry fob works more like the phone and didn't time out on me after sitting in the car for about 20 minutes.

Turned my phone off and left it in the house, watched some sentry and YouTube videos for about 20 minutes. Stepped on the brake and the headlights turned on and I was allowed to shift out of Park. I did not have to place the fob behind the cupholders in order to shift...

I can confirm the new passive entry fob works more like the phone and didn't time out on me after sitting in the car for about 20 minutes.

Turned my phone off and left it in the house, watched some sentry and YouTube videos for about 20 minutes. Stepped on the brake and the headlights turned on and I was allowed to shift out of Park. I did not have to place the fob behind the cupholders in order to shift...

Awesome! Was waiting for one of the first people who got it delivered to post about their experience.

Can you confirm if basic Summon works like the Model S and X key fob? (Press and hold center button on fob until hazards start flashing, then press either frunk or trunk button for forwards or backwards summons respectively).

Wow while looking for a source on the Summon with Key fob thing, I came across this - Autopark with self initiation! Gotta try this out on the Model 3, I didn't even know something like this existed at some point on the Model S!

upload_2019-10-7_10-33-46.png

Yes fob summon works just like on the S/X. I haven't been able to get the personless autopark to work though.
Oh awesome. Did you also get delivery of the new fob? Or are you saying that the old v1 Model 3 fob also supported Summon? Wow well that would add utility to the v1 key fob wouldn't it.

@derotam , I don't understand why you're thinking anyone is against Tesla here - we're all proud owners of their car, and constructive criticism is the ONE thing that leads to constant innovation (I dare say that's in Tesla's base culture as well, that's how they have innovated to such an extent). Further, calling out the person or entity you love the most so that they can improve is the best thing one can do, in this case calling out Tesla for not providing the key fob for free with every Model 3 is also quite appropriate.

With this in mind, I therefore do not understand why you are so dead set on defending Tesla here - could you take a moment to pause and reflect over the tone of your posts in this thread and see if you've perhaps been too aggressive in your defence of Tesla?

For what its worth, I have an Android phone and the phone key has given me a pause about once every week. That's a ridiculously large number of times in my six months of ownership. Out of those once-a-week scenarios, sometimes pulling and holding on the door handle for a couple of seconds has worked, sometimes just pulling out my phone and waking it up, sometimes having to quickly toggle airplane mode, and if everything fails, I just resorted to the key card like we're supposed to. All of these are minor annoyances, but when I paid 50 big ones for a car, these are MAJOR FAILS. Yes, they are. Unlike @crackers8199 who I think is being polite and not arguing further, I am much more willing to waste my time to make you see the light of his and my argument here. At least for a day lol.

Let my phone be a $1500 top-of-the-line iPhone or a $200 POS android. SO WHAT. If Tesla was aware of it being a possible issue that not all phones will work flawlessly (and of course they must've been during beta testing), they most certainly should've changed their language to say "the primary method of entering our grand $50000 car is a primitive contact-based key card, and the optional, awesome-but-sometimes-flakey method of entering is, surprise surprise, your own phone!". This should've been the official line until today, when the v2 key fobs are finally getting into people's hands. Now they can (and should) change the official line to say the primary way is this key fob, secondary is your phone key, and third backup is the key card.

This topic, the ability to not get into the car 100% of the time for 100% of the Model 3 owners, is absolutely ONE HUNDRED PERCENT Tesla's fault and within their capability to mitigate - either by simply acknowledging that the key card is Primary, or by providing the key fob for free and calling it the primary. As I'm sure you understand, the Phone as Key can never be and should never have been mentioned as the Primary method of entering the car - bluetooth technology and battery optimization software on phones is too unpredictable to allow that in today's day and age. Even if they claim to fix everything and I get ONE lockout with the phone app, my confidence will forever remain shattered with Phone key.

Regarding the pricing, whether or not $150 is fair is up for debate, I certainly understand that there must be a fat profit margin on this item, but I don't know how much half a mill in key fob revenue is going to matter to the bottom line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the pricing, whether or not $150 is fair is up for debate, I certainly understand that there must be a fat profit margin on this item,
All I know is that Toyota/Lexus/Scion wanted upward of $250 for a replacement fob when I looked into it. More if you lost the 'dog tag'. Tesla wanting all of $15 for a replacement RFID card is a steal, and AFAIK those do work 100% of the time. Even though the docs (and Marketing) say your phone ought to be your primary mode of entry, they all say to keep an RFID card on you as a backup. This alone indicates to me at least that the RFID card is the more reliable, if less convenient, entry method.

No, but there seem to be several debates happening simultaneously about methods of entry to the car, and it's hard to keep track of which one I'm participating in.

Most recently, the spectre of the cost of the fob ($150) was raised; I simply pointed out that it's quite a bit less than some other brands' passive-entry fobs are.

Separate from that there seems to be a somewhat vociferous debate about whether the "not 100% reliable but suggested as primary" phone-key should be somehow considered a failing on Tesla's part, despite the consistent beating of the "always keep an RFID on you at all times in case the phone-key fails" drum in the documentation. In my opinion, Tesa makes it perfectly clear that the RFID is to be considered the "100% reliable" entry method. Further, the claims that (say) Toyota's passive-entry fobs are "100% reliable" for passive entry are, frankly, false. I speak from first-hand experience; I can elaborate if there is call for me to do so.

Separate from that was the supposition (notwithstanding that Model 3 fobs didn't even exist until recently) that perhaps Tesla should have handed out fobs rather than RFID cards by default.

Most recently, the spectre of the cost of the fob ($150) was raised; I simply pointed out that it's quite a bit less than some other brands' passive-entry fobs are.

right, but you were commenting on a post about the toyota fobs being $250 (although they give you two with the car) by pointing out that the cards are given to you with the car. that's comparing apples to oranges, since the toyota fob allows passive entry but the cards certainly do not.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman