Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Fobs passive entry, old one gets update? [No, not possible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow 3'ers. Tesla updated their model 3 Car kew fob to now auto open and lock when u walk up to car.
My question: anybody know if the original key fob get this feature too? I just bought one a few weeks ago but they were specific that it does not have passive entry.
Hoping it gets the new feature thru software update???

Thoughts

Reactions: MattUNI
Hello fellow 3'ers. Tesla updated their model 3 Car kew fob to now auto open and lock when u walk up to car.
My question: anybody know if the original key fob get this feature too? I just bought one a few weeks ago but they were specific that it does not have passive entry.

Thoughts

You have 30 days to return unopened accessories, so you could return and get the new one.

• Love
Reactions: Franklin7268

Thoughts

That depends on the hardware of M3FobV1.

Version 2 might have different hardware to accommodate different requirements such as signal, stronger encryption... so in that case, ask if Tesla would allow a trade-in.

Last edited:
Ha! Thank goodness I didn't buy the first gen - specifically because it didn't have passive entry like pretty much every other new car in existence does (waiting for the Kool-Aid defensive posts that surely will come).

Now that the new keys have passive entry, I shall purchase one.

Reactions: Reeler
No hands required. Locking and unlocking your Model 3 has never been easier. Keep your key fob in your pocket and simply pull on the door handle for easy entry. Same with the trunk. Your key fob is automatically enabled when you pair with your vehicle.

Gift box includes key fob and coin cell batteries.

Ha! Thank goodness I didn't buy the first gen - specifically because it didn't have passive entry like pretty much every other new car in existence does (waiting for the Kool-Aid defensive posts that surely will come).

Now that the new keys have passive entry, I shall purchase one.
coolaidman-newthumb.png

• Funny
Reactions: MattUNI
The fob will say Tesla instead of Model 3.

I'm aware you can tell from the actual fob. My question is, can you tell from the outside of the box, without having to open it and checking the actual fob. I'm trying to avoid the 25% restocking fee if possible.

"if an item has been opened, but remains unused, it may be returned within the same time-frame stated above and will be subject to a 25% restocking fee. Once a product has been used, it is ineligible for return (except for cases involving product warranty)."

I'm aware you can tell from the actual fob. My question is, can you tell from the outside of the box, without having to open it and checking the actual fob. I'm trying to avoid the 25% restocking fee if possible.

"if an item has been opened, but remains unused, it may be returned within the same time-frame stated above and will be subject to a 25% restocking fee. Once a product has been used, it is ineligible for return (except for cases involving product warranty)."

I don't believe it has any kind of wrapping.

What is the point to this? I just don’t get it. Use the Phone. I’ve never had an issue with mine. WE GOT RID OF CAR KEYS....which I LOATHED. Now you want to put a bulky key fob in your pocket? On top of your phone? Don’t understand. And at what $150?

Ski
Large iPhone 11 pro Max vs small key fob for a quick run to the grocery store. I just answered your silly question as to what is the point of this.

Large iPhone 11 pro Max vs small key fob for a quick run to the grocery store. I just answered your silly question as to what is the point of this.

Your actually going to leave the house without your phone? That would make you an outlier. Not saying that anyone is silly for wanting a keyfob (I have one actually) but if you are saying you are taking a "quick trip to the store" but not taking your phone, like I said, you would be in a minority. Not just for your car, but grocery store apps / note apps on what you needed, possible for family member to remind you to get something else while you are there, etc.

The number of people who are going to DRIVE somewhere and KNOWINGLY not take their smartphone has got to be very small at this point.