Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Fobs passive entry, old one gets update? [No, not possible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should change that to YOUR phone key is still not reliable. MY phone key works just fine, 100% of the time.

it's not all about you. there are plenty of people who have had and are still having issues.

it's a car and we're talking about the key. a key is kinda important. if the key doesn't work for 100% of the people 100% of the time, it should not have been the primary way to enter and drive the car. period.

it's not all about you. there are plenty of people who have had and are still having issues.

it's a car and we're talking about the key. a key is kinda important. if the key doesn't work for 100% of the people 100% of the time, it should not have been the primary way to enter and drive the car. period.

It is a car, and then there is a phone, and then there is bluetooth, and then there is bluetooth implementation. Yes there are people having problems with their phone as key functionality, and yes it is very reasonable for a lot of people to jump and say that it MUST be Tesla's fault. But that doesn't make it true, it doesn't necessarily make it Tesla's fault. If my phone as key works, and your phone as key doesn't work, then where is the problem? Did Tesla mess up the implementation on all of the exact same hardware that is in all their cars, or might it actually be your phone manufacturer/OS manufacturer that messed something up?

It's not about me, your right, but don't sit here and make all this sound like it is all Tesla's responsibility to fix. Now, would it be good for them to come out with a list of known compatible/incompatible phones, like other manufacturers do, yes.

The phone is not the primary way to enter the car, the key card is. That is what comes from the manufacturer.

• Love
Reactions: Skione65
If my phone as key works, and your phone as key doesn't work, then where is the problem? Did Tesla mess up the implementation on all of the exact same hardware that is in all their cars, or might it actually be your phone manufacturer/OS manufacturer that messed something up?

that is exactly my point, though - that it was ridiculous from the jump to make the primary method of accessing the car dependent on so many different manufacturers and implementations of the bluetooth stack. they should have included a fob and made that the primary key from the beginning (so that they could control both sides of the equation) and made the phone key optional for those who didn't want to carry a key around, but they didn't do that.

The phone is not the primary way to enter the car, the key card is. That is what comes from the manufacturer.

this is just patently not true. from the time the car was first released, they have always said that the phone was intended to be the primary way of accessing the vehicle, with the key card being a backup. the model 3 support page still says this:

Connect a Phone Key to unlock your Model 3 without ever taking your phone out of your pocket. We recommend the Phone Key as the primary method of accessing and starting your vehicle.

Model 3 Support | Tesla

• Love
Reactions: davewill and bijan
Did Tesla mess up the implementation on all of the exact same hardware that is in all their cars, or might it actually be your phone manufacturer/OS manufacturer that messed something up?

Hard to know but there are about 20 iPhone variants and various people have reported less than 100% success on most of them. So it's not just a case of supported vs unsupported phones or android vs iPhone. It's random based on specific hardware instances too or how people are carrying the phone in their pockets.

You can't, even though people want to, assume that Tesla is going to be able to provide support for every phone and OS in existence, it's just not possible. It isn't in Tesla's hands to make your phone work.

With that said, if Tesla isn't implementing bluetooth correctly then yes they need to fix that, but someone would have to determine some how that they aren't following the standard.

Hard to know but there are about 20 iPhone variants and various people have reported less than 100% success on most of them. So it's not just a case of supported vs unsupported phones or android vs iPhone. It's random based on specific hardware instances too or how people are carrying the phone in their pockets.

Ok so it is less than 100% are we demanding absolute perfection? How many different phone variants are there in the US?

"random based on...how people are carrying the phone in their pockets" And how would you like Tesla to address this? RF is a funny thing and if you put the phone in your back pocket, and depending on how you approach the vehicle, you start to put body between the car and the phone.

You can't, even though people want to, assume that Tesla is going to be able to provide support for every phone and OS in existence, it's just not possible. It isn't in Tesla's hands to make your phone work.

With that said, if Tesla isn't implementing bluetooth correctly then yes they need to fix that, but someone would have to determine some how that they aren't following the standard.

Except I've never heard of anyone complaining that the Tesla app didn't work on their phone. Tesla has managed to get that working practically everywhere.

What you're saying is that given the state of Bluetooth hardware in the world it isn't possible for Tesla to get phone key to work with the same reliability as phone app. What some people are upset with is the decision to make phone key default despite that fact and not include a fob.

As for me my phone key is about 99% but I would have been happier if the car came with a fob, and I didn't end up buying two different fobs. I'm sure the people with 70% success with the phone key are much less happy than I am.

Ok so it is less than 100% are we demanding absolute perfection? How many different phone variants are there in the US?

"random based on...how people are carrying the phone in their pockets" And how would you like Tesla to address this? RF is a funny thing and if you put the phone in your back pocket, and depending on how you approach the vehicle, you start to put body between the car and the phone.

For a car's primary key, yes it should work 99.999% of the time. It's far from that. Imagine some other car company had a physical fob that worked for 95% of people, but for the other 5% it worked 70% of the time and otherwise they need to use a keycard that would be a design fail.

It was a bad design decision not to include a fob for those people where it works 70% of the time. To be clear there are individuals which have this amount of success on every single version of the iPhone if you browse enough forum posts and there aren't a million configurations of iPhone there are just under 20.

which is exactly why the phone key should have been an optional way of accessing the car, and they should have provided something else as the primary.

"random based on...how people are carrying the phone in their pockets" And how would you like Tesla to address this?

the answer is simple: provide people with a fob and make the phone key optional. i don't understand why you're having trouble grasping this.

nobody is saying the phone key shouldn't be an option, we're saying it shouldn't have been the *primary* option.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattUNI
My phone key does not work with my Note8 or Note 10+ 90% of the time. Bluetooth is always left on. Its related to Android and my work policy restrictions on my phone.

Absolutely need a key fob. Also especially useful is summon and frunk access.

Reactions: davewill
All the people saying, "It works for me" are just hijacking the thread without contributing anything. Anyone with half a brain can come up with half a dozen scenarios where the fob would be useful. The main thing that was wack, was ever making a fob that WASN'T capable of passive entry.

Fob scenarios off the top of my head:
  1. Have old phone that doesn't work well as key, don't want to upgrade just for that.
  2. Phone in metallic purse doesn't work well as key.
  3. Like having trunk buttons that don't involve unlocking the phone and launching the app and waiting for it to connect.
  4. Want to lend the car out without having to explain the weird key card.
  5. Just like the cool car shaped fob.
  6. Leave fob on a hook in the house so that other family members can grab it and use it to put the darned grocery bags back in the trunk.

Have old phone that doesn't work well as key, don't want to upgrade just for that.

this was mine - my oneplus 5 worked well for the most part, but i ended up pulling the trigger on a pixel 3 solely for the purpose of hoping it would work flawlessly as a key, and only because i was able to get it brand new for $300. i figured that was an acceptable price since the fob was $150 and didn't even do passive entry.

it did, for the most part...until the past few weeks. am i supposed to upgrade my phone every few months when tesla changes something? to some people here, i guess that's acceptable...to me, it's not.

YEAH!
I bought the new key fob!
I have been waiting since February 14, 2018 for a solution to my phone key woes of unlocking my vehicle with consistency.
Don’t get me wrong but I love all the other features my phone key/ Tesla app does for me consistently. But woot the key fob is the game changer.
Thank you Tesla

Except I've never heard of anyone complaining that the Tesla app didn't work on their phone. Tesla has managed to get that working practically everywhere.

What you're saying is that given the state of Bluetooth hardware in the world it isn't possible for Tesla to get phone key to work with the same reliability as phone app. What some people are upset with is the decision to make phone key default despite that fact and not include a fob.

As for me my phone key is about 99% but I would have been happier if the car came with a fob, and I didn't end up buying two different fobs. I'm sure the people with 70% success with the phone key are much less happy than I am.

No, what I am saying is that the implementation of the bluetooth protocol has been sloppy throughout the cellphone industry...and auto industry in general.

No, what I am saying is that the implementation of the bluetooth protocol has been sloppy throughout the cellphone industry...and auto industry in general.

I totally agree and understand. But it was a design decision by Tesla and knowing that they still went with Bluetooth key relying on phones.

They didn't have to do that. That was a choice. Knowing this they could have gone with something more reliable or even used a Bluetooth fob like they have now with passive entry where they control the whole system on both ends instead of relying on unreliable phone implementations.

For a car's primary key, yes it should work 99.999% of the time. It's far from that. Imagine some other car company had a physical fob that worked for 95% of people, but for the other 5% it worked 70% of the time and otherwise they need to use a keycard that would be a design fail.

It was a bad design decision not to include a fob for those people where it works 70% of the time. To be clear there are individuals which have this amount of success on every single version of the iPhone if you browse enough forum posts and there aren't a million configurations of iPhone there are just under 20.

You can't compare cellphones to a manufacturer's own key fob. Of course the keyfob is going to work because it is a manufacturer spec'd item. Your cellphone does not necessarily have the same implementation of bluetooth as the car.

And if the problem a certain individual has is because the phone is in their back pocket and the signal is being blocked by all the water in their body, that isn't a Tesla problem. That's like saying you are complaining that your phone downloads slowdown at all when your body is between your phone and the celltower.

RF propagation is one thing, protocol issues is another and people are easily mixed up by that.