Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made a quick template edit so the the avatars on the left of the of a thread list now jump to the first unread post in a thread. So if you see that blue dot, just tap the avatar. (Similarly the avatar on the right will go to the last post.)
I love this change. I no longer have to zoom in to go to the first read post. Even on the old forum I had to zoom in some on my iPad.
There seems to be a timeout that logs me out that is too short, I.e. Less time than it takes me to read all the pages of new posts.

For me, that didn't work. I first did all the posts that had updates since Friday when the old site went read-only, but I still had "pending" threads in the Watched Threads screen. I went through the recent ones thinking may it was just a little bit before Friday, but I got far enough along that I saw the last post to the thread was in January, but it was in my Watched Threads screen. That's when I went nuclear and did "Mark All as Read"

Perhaps I should have been clearer.

The other threads that don't have recent updates will still appear in your "Watched Threads" list. But the date of the last post in those threads will indicate that those are threads that you can still ignore, because even though they have a blue dot next to them, the most recent post shows as, say, Friday.

I had 46 pages of watched threads, so close to 920 threads. There was no way I was going to find the last post on each of them, one by one.

Perhaps a screen shot will make this more clear. I'll come back and edit this post with one.

Edit: Here's a screenshot, with notes.

Threads_New_Site.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that some may not be happy with some of the changes. In truth, we've actually been talking about this move for years.
I'm too exhausted to go on at length right now. But briefly, the primary reasons for the change are future viability, better security, and the flexibility to be able to handle dynamic loads.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Please be patient. I just got my first 5 hours of sleep for the past 3 days and still have things to do on the back end that take priority.

All the complaints aside, I still think it's better to have the site live and in-use rather than down for a week while we sort minor issues.

As a 'puter illiterate who has trouble with change in general, I must simply keep repeating "Evolve or Die" to myself. You and your "Crew" have worked so hard for YEARS to provide us with an informative, fun, safe place to follow all things Tesla, that I must say THANK YOU SO MUCH for all you have done/will do!

I leave constructive criticism to the site designers/developers/coders among us... Just get some rest, please.

I've put on my Indian Jones hat and am exploring, pushing buttons (but not willy nilly as that can lead to snakes ;)) to see what they do and getting acquainted. Apparently that's not the way to do it. :oops:

This is what I'll be doing when I get some time to play.... Wrong or not; I'm reckless that way.

I think we need some levity... Don't laugh too hard because this is the kind of stuff I have to deal with on a daily basis. Everyone think's they're a designer ;)

"yeah thats not what I was looking for at all."

Thanks for the guffaws (my sense of humor runs a bit dark)...... And I like cats!

Hey, look at that! I made a multi-quote reply!!!!! I've done some evolving just while reading this thread! :) With a Smiley!

Happy Tuesday!

...off thread...

I think I'm going to see if I can run-around the Admins and banish Johan in perpetuity to some well-deserved hell for that gawdawful avatar he's just put up..... :)

That avatar looks a bit incongruous to me. The rhythm is of an excited heartbeat, the colours are of an insane mind, and the message is to stay calm????

I wish there was a rule that only photos of cute animals were acceptable as avatars

After using this for a day, I have decided what's still bugging me - it's the fluff. This site is filled with fluff, extra stuff we don't need. It's here. It's there. Just give me the damn threads with the info I want/need to keep up with. bah!

I really do appreciate the work of the mods. But I find this new interface to be essentially unnavigable. I can't find a thing: the new posts sidebar doesn't even show the entire thread title, so I have no idea what it is, when I select one, it doesn't even go to the beginning, it ends up somewhere in the middle.

I have never managed one of these, so I have no knowledge of what is required to make a good forum. I apologize for the ignorance. But I do have over two decades of experience with interface. This is simply unworkable for me.

I can't tell you how sad and upset I am. I love TMC. I am on it every day. But I simply do not have the time, or the energy, after a long day at work, to muddle my way through this to find what is important to me.

Please find a way to make this more usable.

Anecdote for Unix nerds: back in the '90s, I used to teach courses about Unix. A lot of people would complain about stuff like the "rm" command not asking for confirmation. So I had a slide about how you could easily tailor your own UI using shell scripts or functions:
del() {
rm -rf "$@"
echo "Were you sure? \c"
read ans
}
Got a chuckle out of that one.

I have a concern about one aspect of the way things are working currently that could present problems in the future if the plan is to keep things this way.

On the old site images could simply be uploaded, and were stored on the site. It appears, at least for now, the only way to include images with posts is to link to a URL. So the times I've wanted to include images I've uploaded them to a free image hosting site first. But I don't know how long that site will store the file, and for how long the URL will be valid. It would seem relying on other sites to host images that may be crucial to posts here may not be in the long-term best interests of TMC.

Additionally, as someone else pointed out before me, the extra steps involved may be a deterrent to people posting images in the first place.

Perhaps this is one of the aspects of the site that is already slated to be changed back to function the way it did on the old site. If so, that's great. If not, I'd suggest giving it some serious thought. If the issue is storage cost, you could always limit the file size, if need be.

Yesterday I instantly assumed I wanted the 100 post per page option back...but now I'm just using the V button next to the post count at the top to scroll to the next post, and it just works, even across page boundaries. So never touch the scroll bars again, just hit that little down arrow thingy. My mouse (well trackpad) stays in one place, no need to scroll...I think I like it!

Yesterday I instantly assumed I wanted the 100 post per page option back...but now I'm just using the V button next to the post count at the top to scroll to the next post, and it just works, even across page boundaries. So never touch the scroll bars again, just hit that little down arrow thingy. My mouse (well trackpad) stays in one place, no need to scroll...I think I like it!

It would work even better if there were 100 posts on a page. :p

Perhaps I should have been clearer.

The other threads that don't have recent updates will still appear in your "Watched Threads" list. But the date of the last post in those threads will indicate that those are threads that you can still ignore, because even though they have a blue dot next to them, the most recent post shows as, say, Friday.

I had 46 pages of watched threads, so close to 920 threads. There was no way I was going to find the last post on each of them, one by one.

Perhaps a screen shot will make this more clear. I'll come back and edit this post with one.
Oh, my OCD would never allow for that. I need that empty list or else I won't get any sleep! :p

The most common bbcodes including
Thanks for the response, but for those of us who aren't coders how do we use bbcodes? In the previous version we merely hightlighted the text and clicked on a quote icon. After we click on bbcodes what's the next step? Do we find a list of BB Code tags available and insert the relevant tag into the posting?

Thanks.

Larry

Last edited:
Oh, my OCD would never allow for that. I need that empty list or else I won't get any sleep! :p

Oh, I hear you! This is just a weak work-around for me for now. I'm still hoping the admins will enable (if it exists) the ability to mark all posts within a group of threads as read. I've written to them about it. Here's a screenshot, showing where that option might be:

New_TMC_With_Selected_Threads.jpg

That works well, except the page switch is messed up because of the big header bar. You can just click click click through the posts on one page, but when you get to the last one, it switches to post#1 on the next page, the header changes from short to tall, and the little V button moves. Move the mouse around to find it, click it to go to second post, and as the header moves back from tall to short, the little V moves again. Close, but no cigar.