Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please tell me this is some pre-alpha released by mistake? If not I'll be joining the other users going on a sabbatical until whatever drugs the designer in chief is on has worn off. What an insanely counter-intuitive and complicated design. I'm well versed in navigating forums, but this is just a new level - an unnecessary one imo.

Last edited:
"Hey everyone, this is the barkeeper. I hired an interior designer and we decided to make a few changes around here. All those peanuts on the concrete floor? Gone. Those little conversation pits everybody loved? Sorry, they didn't survive the remodel. The old gnarly wood bar and stools and booths? Gone. The couple of beers we sold on tap? Totally replaced with craft microbrewery offerings you can't pronounce. We're going upscale! We've painted the floor and walls and ceiling a slick epoxy white, and bought a ton of IKEA furniture and stylish lighting. Isn't it all so cool? Isn't it fresh and hip? Oh, it's just terrific. What? You don't like it?"

But seriously. Everyone who's been hacking Model S firmware and batteries. Time to set that aside, and hack the custom CSS and XenForo CSS for the site. With some DNS trickery, we can point our browsers to alternative CSS files and the TMC site won't even know what's going on. Alternatively, perhaps a GreaseMonkey script or a project like Facebook Purity would be in order.

Also, I need to register my utter shock at the elimination of reputation points. Epic #fail

Serious question - was there any usability A/B testing done between the old forum layout and the new one?

On my computer the readability is worse in just about every way. It's harder to sort through threads. What the heck is going on?

Why are sub-forums no longer displayed in a logical nested list?

For what it's worth, having only played around with it on my phone, the new layout is 100% better on Mobile. As someone else pointed out, no more pinching and zooming.

On the subject of reputation, I am guessing there must be some built in "cool off" period that we all need to jump over before it comes back but I noticed there must be some kind of "like" option because if you click on your avatar on the top right and then scroll down you see a "likes you have received" section on your profile. I can only assume that for whatever reason we are all reset back to zero on reputation as the two systems didn't overlap and the new one is more based on single point "likes", but maybe once it is unlocked for us it will also be likes per post instead of being "reputation" locked you can like everything sorta like Reddit or similar.

Finally, can I just say, thank you! I can now upload files on the mobile site!!!

Agree completely! On first glance it looked better, but one I tried using it, it was disappointing. Yes, readability on phone is much better, but...

Read versus unread threads used to be normal text and bold text, now the same and that almost invisible blue circle to differentiate. Ugh.

This light grey font on white background makes it very hard to read, not to mention all the unnecessary white spaces which add no value.

Nissan Leaf forum went through a similar upgrade and lots of long time members simply quit. I kept begging them for iPhone app integration that fell on deaf ears. Finally I quit. I go there once a month to see if there is anything new. Mostly it's a dying place and I attribute poor UI (very similar to this new and improved site) and lack of mobile app access.

Ugh, I really don't like the new design. I'll also probably have to take a break--the forums are hurting my eyes quite a bit :(

The lack of contrast, the huge white space everywhere, no ability to customize, more difficult to get to last read page, more difficult to get to subforums (very big for those of us who come to the investor forum most frequently), the color scheme, page navigation within threads... it's all pretty poor. Way too much wasted space, but things that really matter like page/subforum navigation are super tiny.

It reminds me of the White Google Android keyboard, which I thought was probably one of the most abominable designs ever.

For those who only use mobile and claim It looks like great on the mobile - you should be using an app like Tapatalk that will give you much much better reading and writing experience.

Sure maybe it looks better now on Safari on iPhone than before, but that can't hold a candle to the App experience.

This is awful. Look at these two screenshots (thanks to the Wayback machine) of the home page - the new version is literally painful to read Doug. The old version is logical, detailed and requires only a quick visual scan of the outline to find the category one wants to read. There is a reason that subject matter outlines have had the same visual layout since the beginning of time - they work.

There is no usability improvement to having to move your eyes all around the screen trying to find a category title such as the "Model X" sub-forum. What is the point of this?

Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 5.42.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 5.51.31 PM.png