Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So to revisit the "Alert" button. Remember I'm a noob here, and was a noob with the old forum format too.

I've noticed there seems to be temporal correlation with whether I receive an "alert" regarding a post. I get lots of alerts when a thread is pretty active and/or I have posted relatively recently. Always get an "alert" when I am quoted or a rating given.

New posts are more variable. When I haven't posted for a while it seems to go cold. It won't alert new posts after a while. I can't tell how long it has to sit.

However I have been able to find posts to older threads/forums by looking in the "Watched Forum"/"Watched Thread" heading. So nice workaround.

Also I have been testing the "Follow Members" option (I'm not stalking! Ok, maybe a little...just for research... ;)). I thought their posts would show up in my alerts, but do not. They show up in my "News Feeds". Odd, but it works now that I know.

What happens if you get a rating from someone you set on "ignore"? I know a post won't show up, but a rating too? I do not plan to personally test that one.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Also I have been testing the "Follow Members" option (I'm not stalking! Ok, maybe a little...just for research... ;)). I thought their posts would show up in my alerts, but do not. They show up in my "News Feeds". Odd, but it works now that I know.
Thanks for pointing that out. I could never figure out the point of following a user and I've never seen/used the News Feed link until just now.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I have tried to search and can't seem to find reference to it and apologize if this has been answered already but are we able to have Signatures longer than one line? I went in to edit/update mine and see the following:
upload_2016-5-19_8-56-1.png

Mine is currently three lines and actually wanted to shorten it to two.

where the links are for FORUMS MODEL3 NEW POSTS MEMBERS CONNECT

please can we have
FORUMS MODEL S MODEL3 MODEL X NEW POSTS MEMBERS CONNECT

so owners of the respective models can jump striaght to the relevant section of the forum

I noticed on my IPhone those options do not appear. They are present on my desktop, and my larger screen IPad.

Is this the issue you are having? I suspect it is part of the forum design because of the smaller real estate of the mobile devices.

The thread link should just go to the start of the thread. "Go to first unread" should go to the first unread post of a thread. But I don't think the system remembers past 30 days and this kind of information doesn't make it through the import so unless they're caught up, people get dropped at posts around a month ago. So I guess if the thread is less than a month old, you might get dropped off at the same place.

Note that the avatar, to the left of the thread name has been hacked to also go to the first unread. This is done without any checks, so if you've never read that thread and it's old, you just get dropped off 30 days ago. Anyhow make sure you're actually clicking on the thread link and not the avatar.

@doug, perhaps I misunderstood. When older threads pop up (even if visited since the conversion), if they are at a certain age (you thought 30 above), clicking the thread title in Unread Watched Threads didn't take you to first unread, but instead to the first page. From there though, you could then click "Go to first unread". You said in a different post that maybe that is cookie based, but you hacked the avatar logo on the left to do the refresh for you. I noticed when I click that, I get a "progress popup" in the upper right. This then works consistently. However, I often find when on mobile, I'm accidentally clicking the smaller 2nd thumbnail and getting a posters profile popup rather than going to the first unread post. Could the thread title be hacked like the avatar please so it always take you to the first unread post (which, if you haven't read that thread before would be the first post)?

OK, here is a wishlist item for group threads:

Scenario: as an example, this post shows up in my notifications because I am a member of the Silicon Valley group: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/memorial-day-parade-in-hillsborough.70324/ This is all good, as this is expected behavior, but I am not interested in participating and don't want to see further notifications about this thread. The problem is if I go to this thread, I cannot "unwatch" it as I did not "watch" it in the first place so I keep getting notifications.

So, am I missing something or can I this be added to the wishlist

OK, here is a wishlist item for group threads:

Scenario: as an example, this post shows up in my notifications because I am a member of the Silicon Valley group: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/memorial-day-parade-in-hillsborough.70324/ This is all good, as this is expected behavior, but I am not interested in participating and don't want to see further notifications about this thread. The problem is if I go to this thread, I cannot "unwatch" it as I did not "watch" it in the first place so I keep getting notifications.

So, am I missing something or can I this be added to the wishlist
If you go to "Alert Preferences", you can turn off notifications for Group Threads and Posts.
Screenshot 2016-05-26 at 12.28.00 PM.png

You can then subscribe to the individual threads you are interested in thereafter.

• Helpful
Reactions: omarsultan
@danny - thanks for the quick response. So, if I leave the first "Creates a thread..." box checked, but uncheck the second "Post made..." box, I think it will get me what I am looking for--I will get notified of new threads, but none of the responses. If I respond to a post made in the groups area, does it automatically end up in my watched threads list like the rest of the site?

To revisit the "Alert" function.

I've been busy the last couple of weeks and haven't posted much. My "Alerts" have dropped off precipitously.

However, I continue to get and find updates to my "Watched Threads" and "Watched Forums", which I use to read new posts of things I am following.

So it seems that there is a temporal correlation between "Alerts" and whether you post, not just what you are following and "watching."

News Feeds remain the same.

I find the "Like" and "Dislike" buttons to be immature and childish, as if this forum is devoted to 15 year old girls. It seems to me that when people are disliking what others are saying, really they are just disagreeing but not disliking at all. And when they are liking, they are agreeing with the comment.

Why do we need the "dislike" button which is essence a derogatory comment deserving of the snippiness thread? I can disagree with someone's comment without disliking it. In fact, disagreeing can be likable - a good debate is at the heart of moving things forward in a positive manner.

And I don't need to "like" a comment to agree with it. Sometimes I don't "like" the fact that AP has flaws for instance, but I like the fact that someone has pointed it out, so I must like it. I guess we're being forced to be be dumbed down by Facebook terminology and attitudes, which I find sad. I wish this forum was better than that.

I find the "Like" and "Dislike" buttons to be immature and childish, as if this forum is devoted to 15 year old girls. It seems to me that when people are disliking what others are saying, really they are just disagreeing but not disliking at all. And when they are liking, they are agreeing with the comment.

Why do we need the "dislike" button which is essence a derogatory comment deserving of the snippiness thread? I can disagree with someone's comment without disliking it. In fact, disagreeing can be likable - a good debate is at the heart of moving things forward in a positive manner.

And I don't need to "like" a comment to agree with it. Sometimes I don't "like" the fact that AP has flaws for instance, but I like the fact that someone has pointed it out, so I must like it. I guess we're being forced to be be dumbed down by Facebook terminology and attitudes, which I find sad. I wish this forum was better than that.
I am so very tempted to "dislike" your post, just out of snarkiness. But that would ruin my perfect record of never having "disliked" a post, and besides, I don't actually.

I like the "like" feature because it helps divert some of what would otherwise end up as "+1" posts. I really can't abide those, there is already more traffic on TMC than I'd really prefer, to even consider anything that would add to content-free clutter. I find the current range of feedback options (helpful/informative/like/dislike/funny/love) to be sufficient for that purpose, but if you think other options should be added (seems to be what you're saying with your last paragraph?) then by all means, suggest them.

I preferred the old feedback feature in some ways because I liked the one-liner you could attach, but sic transit.