Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a fan of those Avatars at the start of the thread. Who started a thread is often irrelevant. Would prefer a simple icon. Grey or red coloured depending if there are new comments.

Also Sticky Threads should be easier to tell apart from the normal ones.

I think they might need to just mark all forums as read first. Then they can use the link. Before marking as read to rebase things, the link wouldn't take me to the newest post.

I pretty much never hit that button on purpose - ever, since joining TMC. So if that's your best workaround, it's not useful to at least some of us.

Yeah. I typically never use it either but since every thread was wrong, I caved in and pushed the button. :eek:

I was in the same boat. Sadly, it was the only option since my "Watched Threads" had stuff that wasn't updated in months :(

I've been posting since a couple of hours after the revised site came online about the workaround I've been using. For anyone who has not yet marked all as read, the following works reasonably well, for now:

The method I was suggesting did not involve marking everything as read first. That would prevent it from working.

Your "Watched Threads" are sorted by the time of the most recent post. So if you start at the top of that list, find your last read post, read the rest, etc., that thread won't appear in your list at the top again until there is a new post in it, and then clicking on the blue button will take you to the new posts.

In my case I worked through all my watched threads that had new posts Monday, since the site came back up with the new software. So for any of those threads, clicking on the blue button works. The problem is the first time there is a new post in an old thread I'll have to find where I left off. It is this problem that would be avoided if there was an option to mark all posts in a group of threads as read. I have sent this suggestion to both Danny and Doug via a "Conversation", as Danny requested in another thread.

The Florida sub-forum one worked for me. Other one is indeed broken though.

Can't you just update the link to

Florida Tesla Enthusiasts (FTE) club sign-up page

To change it just hover over your little avatar icon in the top right and click on "Signature".
Thanks.

I was looking in the wrong portion of the user profile that displayed the signature, but didn't permit edits. I found the correct area and made the corrections.

Larry

Please give me back Tapatalk (or any equivalent app) support - I am willing to pay a subscription fee for that, if that's what is takes to get it back.

On a side note, I have a strong suspicion that Tapatalk access was disabled to force people to go to the Ad infested web browser interface, because Tapatalk does not throw any ads.

Nissan Leaf forum never provided mobile App access for the very same reason - I was told.

If that is true, then it's really sad.

+1 I exclusively used tapatalk and another rss reader which are now completely non functional. I wonder if the admin staff looked at usage stats.

I'd be interested to hear what the security concerns are. Sounds tenuous and more likely a way to driver more ad clicks.

My first real gripe with the new system: At the top level, it used to mark even the subforums to show new content. Now, the top level forum shows a red dot if any of the subforums have a new post, but the dot beside the subforum will still show grey, even if that's the one that has the new posting. I see this e.g. for the North America grouping, where I really just want to see California and go straight there if it indicates new postings.

Oh, a more minor one too. When I click the "mark forums read" at the top level, I get an "are you sure?" dialog... of course I'm sure! Even if I wasn't, it would be my fat finger that did it.

Anecdote for Unix nerds: back in the '90s, I used to teach courses about Unix. A lot of people would complain about stuff like the "rm" command not asking for confirmation. So I had a slide about how you could easily tailor your own UI using shell scripts or functions:
del() {
rm -rf "$@"
echo "Were you sure? \c"
read ans
}

Last edited:
I've been posting since a couple of hours after the revised site came online about the workaround I've been using. For anyone who has not yet marked all as read, the following works reasonably well, for now:

For me, that didn't work. I first did all the posts that had updates since Friday when the old site went read-only, but I still had "pending" threads in the Watched Threads screen. I went through the recent ones thinking may it was just a little bit before Friday, but I got far enough along that I saw the last post to the thread was in January, but it was in my Watched Threads screen. That's when I went nuclear and did "Mark All as Read"

I'm lost on how to search inside a specific thread. For instance, how do I search for my own posts in this very thread?

BTW, I was going to search for my post about the "Alerts" for every time someone has commented on a thread and ask if anyone knows if that can be auto-updated, or if I should turn off the alerting. It's annoying to see 20+ alerts screaming at me on every page!

I'm lost on how to search inside a specific thread. For instance, how do I search for my own posts in this very thread?

This is a much improved feature, once you get used to it. Go to the global search (magnifying glass at the top right). There's a checkbox for "Search this thread only". Select that. Under "Posted by Member", put Cyclone.

First, THANKS to the Admin/Mods working through the updated TMC design. You're never going to please everyone, and given how vocal many are here, I think some people forget TMC is a FREE site, with VOLUNTARY donations and Ads that pay the bills to keep it alive beyond what a handful of Admin/Mods do to manage it's infrastructure behind the scenes, so I for one, don't expect a vote or to be provided with all the detail and "reasons why" on everything that goes on.

Be that as it may, after a few hours of use with the refreshed design, my (hopefully) constructive suggestions:
  • Unread Watched Threads "Replies" column shows the text "Replies:" instead of a count like the adjoining views column does
  • Consider adding to Quick Nav: Search, Watched Forums, & Watched Threads so these are available from nearly any page
  • I'll either get used to it, or perhaps consider putting the home page back to a single-column format. I know that goes against trying to make things more compact, but I'm still finding the new dual-column approach to be cluttered when I'm trying to find a forum I'm not watching. Quick Nav is an alternative but does not provide the visual indication of updates and when the last post was made like the home page does.
  • It's a nit, but it would be great to have the browser icon for TMC be customized again at some point in the future -- it's now showing a blue xenFORO icon instead of the red/white TMC icon (at least on Safari) that was far more useful
A number of my concerns are same as others:
  • Need for improved color/font scheme; Too much white and too much blank space -- Recent color tweaks in the past hour are much better -- TU. Still would love more line compression to remove vertical grey/white space.
  • URL in signature lines is broken; Allows it to be input and previewed, but won't save that BBCode as I used to have in my sig; After figuring out what was going on, I lost my original sig and will put it back once resolved.
  • Need larger "blue dot" to start viewing from first unread post; Not useful in current form on touch devices like iPad/iPhone, and can be problematic even with a mouse/trackpad to get the selection the first time, every time
  • I too ran into the issue with Watched Threads not porting correctly, but I've dealt with my 200 or so threads, have it working for me again, and moved-on.
Again, appreciate the hard work danny and perhaps others are putting in on all this.

+1 I exclusively used tapatalk and another rss reader which are now completely non functional. I wonder if the admin staff looked at usage stats.

I'd be interested to hear what the security concerns are. Sounds tenuous and more likely a way to driver more ad clicks.
I'm using Tapatalk to read TMC about 90% of the time. My wife is the same. I know there are quite a few others that are in the same boat. Getting on a browser on a phone and using TMC (even this new version) is suboptimal compared to a native app.

Please bring back Tapatalk support.