Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I understand that a lot of effort went into the new design but unfortunately I feel the forum is not useable in this form. Nothing is easy to find and there is an enormous amount of wasted space everywhere. It was fun, quick and easy to use the previous forum, this one, not so much, so my interest in using it is quickly approaching zero.

Ahem, sorry to say, but there IS NO reply button as I hover over the highlighted part of the post.
No need to hover, it should be there after selecting text. Only works when you're logged into the forum though. And maybe some script / ad blocker blocks that feature? Or maybe it doesn't work in firefox? It definitely works in Chromium on Ubuntu 14.04, so I though it should work pretty much everywhere.

No need to hover, it should be there after selecting text. Only works when you're logged into the forum though. And maybe some script / ad blocker blocks that feature? Or maybe it doesn't work in firefox? It definitely works in Chromium on Ubuntu 14.04, so I though it should work pretty much everywhere.

It works in Safari on iOS, and in Chrome, Firefox, IE and Edge on Windows 7 and 10 (I've tested). And yes, no need to hover.

Are there any way now to view new posts in watched forums only? Before I used the "subscribed forums" link. When I use the "new posts" link now I get new posts in ALL forums. Not very useful as I'm only interested in about half the sub-forums. Wading through each sub-forum on it's own is way too slow.

Sometimes I would select a long post and have iPhone speak it out loud. Tapatalk would not let me select text and the last version of iOS broke this functionality on the mobile vbulletin site but now it is almost easy to select block text again (one upon a time press and hold did that but now a little scrolling is involved). That's an improvement.

Initial reaction on the desktop is "yuck". Where there used to be nice lists, it now seems like items are strewn about in two dimensions. The profile popup doesn't go away - it's obscuring part of this window as I type this. On the phone, I don't know yet - without Tapatalk I guess I'll have to see how it looks and works in Chrome.

Very, very hard to use on mobile (iPhone and iPad). I'll likely limit my use of this forum from daily to times I am on my desktop computer which is about once a week or less. Sorry, without Tapatalk it loses a lot of usability for me.

Hey admins, give users the ability to chose the default template so they can browse the site like its 2006 again!? At least it would cut down some of the complaints. It's not that hard. Just go into appearance, click styles and click the checkbox beside "default".

Heck, create a child style based on it so you can add the TMC logo and chnage the colours. But at least that style looks more like the old theme for those who can't adapt to the new style. Problem solved.

Minor nit, the dates on recent posts don't show an actual date, it will show something like "Friday". Since I don't necessarily remember what date Friday was I have to bring up a calendar to see the date. I can handle "Today", and probably "Yesterday", but it would be nice if anything older than that displayed the date.

@ohmman LOL! I would give you reputation points for your venn diagram, but, oh well...

I must be getting old but I have to say "me too" when it comes to getting a headache from the new layout. Perhaps because I have been using the old site almost daily for well over 4 years? I don't see any logical reason why a new layout would have this effect. I find myself dreading visiting the site. This is so strange. Hopefully we will be able to adjust.

Here's also some good news. This forum package doesn't appear to mangle the hell out of MongoDB commands like TMC's old style sheets would do.

You must be missing something for sure because I was able to upload a screenshot from my iPhone today which was impossible in the old TMC vbulletin system! When I first tried to link an image I tried doing it like you and upload it to drobox and link to it but upon closer inspection I saw an upload button and it worked perfectly even on an iPhone. That was just impossible before. Have a look in the post or reply box for the upload button. It's there.

It doesn't work the same. You can upload a picture but it does not put it inline. It merely shows a tiny thumbnail underneath your post with the ability for other people to download it. If you're showing graphs or some other illustrations to prove your point, readers must click on them one by one and then go back to the text.

This forum design is one of the worst I've ever seen. The text boxes and the color contrast is so low it's hard to determine what is clickable and what isn't. The symbology is all wrong to tell where to log in for example and what symbols mean what.

Notably the main page is very buggy with how it lists the forum sections. The two column view completely breaks under most situations.

Did you see my picture showing the function? What browser are you using?

Here at work, IE9 with Windows 7. At home I use the latest version of Firefox, with various OS's, depending on the device. But thanks to all those security issues of late, I have a helluva lot of filtering/blocking/security addons that might have negative effects on functionality.

Thing is though, with the old version I didn't have any problems.
Again, I just can't understand the reason for ruining a great forum by implementing such a horrible redesign. I would love to choose nicer words (especially when considering the amount of work and labor of love the admins have put into this), but that is the way I feel. The TMC user experience is totally ruined for me as it is.

Last edited:
Please be specific. Where exactly is the contrast so low? Screenshots help.
I noticed last night that the mobile menu is pretty hard to see. Please see attached image.

Attachments

• Mobile_menu.png
    Mobile_menu.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 71
Here at work, IE9 with Windows 7. At home I use the latest version of Firefox, with various OS's, depending on the device. But thanks to all those security issues of late, I have a helluva lot of filtering/blocking/security addons that might have negative effects on functionality.

Thing is though, with the old version I didn't have any problems.
Again, I just can't understand the reason for ruining a great forum by implementing such a horrible redesign. I would love to choose nicer words (especially when considering the amount of work and labor of love the admins have put into this), but that is the way I feel. The TMC user experience is totally ruined for me as it is.

Your frustration is understandable, and it appears you're not alone in feeling it. However, I think it's clouding your argument a bit. This is probably an unfair summary of what you're trying to say, but what I hear is (not an actual quote):

I want to be able to use any kind of content and feature blocking add-ons but have the forum software work around my choices.

The reasons to move to xenForo were laid out by doug earlier in the thread. It's very difficult to argue with the rationale for retiring vB. Perhaps a more reasoned argument would be whether you'd have chosen a different platform than xenForo.

In the end, I suggest you whitelist teslamotorsclub.com on your ad blocking and script blocking plugins. You'll find that there are some benefits to the new platform.