Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Forum Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I wasn't at your rep point level, I was one of those maxed out at 11 visible bars. I view this as an opportunity to regroup around solid postings and earn my way back up.

I kind of see it as an excuse for me not to bother anymore, personally.

Some of my best content is already here, as I was the first to do quite a few things with the Model S and its components, and I built up a decent reputation for that work and those efforts.

If I have to "start over", I mean really, that gives me little incentive to start over *here*.

Just figure this is worth pointing out and I'd urge @doug / @danny to not entirely dismiss gains from the old rep system.

Edit: No edit reason box anymore. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: pvogel
I'm not sure if it's because of the new TMC forum design, but in one thread, I was blocked from posting. Never ran into personal issues on TMC, so I'm not sure what's the reason. But it appears that I can post here. Any word?

I support the Administrators and feel deeply for them. My hope is that this can be fixed in fairly short order. Being involved in this forum since placing my order in June 14 has increased my knowledge of the MS tremendously and my enjoyment of my car immeasurably because of all I now know about the car and the industry. Much of that came because I was able to fly through the site to find what I needed to know quickly.

I will try my damnest to learn how to do that with this new interface. But I fear that the functionality simply is not there.

And I am most upset about the removal of rep points. How on earth would I have found ArtSci, WK057, Jerry33 and so many others? They have taught me so many valuable things. Now I have no idea how to find the people who really know what they are talking about. Oh, and on the signature...Well-known Member is complete crap.

I kind of see it as an excuse for me not to bother anymore, personally.

Some of my best content is already here, as I was the first to do quite a few things with the Model S and its components, and I built up a decent reputation for that work and those efforts.

If I have to "start over", I mean really, that gives me little incentive to start over *here*.

Just figure this is worth pointing out and I'd urge @doug / @danny to not entirely dismiss gains from the old rep system.

Are you really that concerned with the rep points? I mean I had a decent pile racked up over the years, but never cared all that much, especially since the negative rep ability was removed, it wasn't really reflective of popularity or agreement. I never posted in the hopes of getting points, just sharing data and opinions. Plus, you've gotten more recognition that most outside of TMC.

Reactions: bollar

I don't think anyone can question your credentials and input to the forum. And I don't think you've lost that at all with the loss of reputation points. You're likely the most quoted individual here, and in some cases, the most provocative. So your reputation isn't dependent upon bars - if you think it is, you need to bump your self-confidence well beyond what green bars can give you.

At the same time, and I hope you'll forgive me for saying so, you seem to frequently threaten to disappear or at least "back away." Earlier in this thread was one example. You had a thread last year saying the same thing (and I agreed fully with your position as you were being harassed). Now here again, you imply that you're going to leave. We'll miss you if you do, and I definitely hope that's not the reality. I just wonder why you bring it up so often. Maybe it's your way of venting your feelings, which I guess is fine. I just ask you to consider the impact of the threat.

Hope that didn't come off too offensive, as it wasn't intended as such.

I don't think anyone can question your credentials and input to the forum. And I don't think you've lost that at all with the loss of reputation points. You're likely the most quoted individual here, and in some cases, the most provocative. So your reputation isn't dependent upon bars - if you think it is, you need to bump your self-confidence well beyond what green bars can give you.

At the same time, and I hope you'll forgive me for saying so, you seem to frequently threaten to disappear or at least "back away." Earlier in this thread was one example. You had a thread last year saying the same thing (and I agreed fully with your position as you were being harassed). Now here again, you imply that you're going to leave. We'll miss you if you do, and I definitely hope that's not the reality. I just wonder why you bring it up so often. Maybe it's your way of venting your feelings, which I guess is fine. I just ask you to consider the impact of the threat.

Hope that didn't come off too offensive, as it wasn't intended as such.

The boy who cried wolf at this point. He threatens but at the same time knows he has no other venue large enough to peddle his wares and quickly comes back. People on here already know or quickly find out how knowledgeable he is so I don't know what the big deal is other than seeing yourself on a leaderboard that not many frequented anyways.

First and foremost, I want to thank the admin team for their hard work and dedication to this. Not in Forums, but I know how hard it can be to manage some back-end systems to a front-facing application and sometimes, rewriting/rebuilding is just the best course of action for the future, regardless of the pain today. And while we have complained about not hearing it from the hilltops and it not meeting all our desires/needs, you all have done a tremendous job of making it a relatively painless conversion for us users.

Just a question on direction here. I know contrast had been mentioned by all and you've made some tweaks. Are you open to the idea of tweaking the background on mobile so it isn't so white, or better yet, have some user-customization for it? I recall on the old forum we could pick from a few themes that I accidentally selected once or twice. :)

Reactions: danny and ohmman
Not to sound like an ass, but I've left and returned when things have been resolved to my satisfaction in each case, most of which is non-public. So don't belittle my position when you know nothing about it.

The reputation system was useful for finding and filtering by members who's content had some value based on years of recognition from the rest of the forum. That is worth having. Forcing a reboot of that kills that orignal value entirely for those who have been recognized and for the rest of the community looking for good content. Makes no sense to reset... how does that help the community?

Fortunately, for me as has been mentioned, I have plenty of recognition elsewhere. I've nothing to "pedal" regardless.

Pretty much can guarantee that if I started contributing somewhere else as my primary Tesla related outlet that those interested would follow my work regardless and TMC would get second hand postings about it anyway.

I certainly do spend far too much time here on TMC. The ones who benefit are TMC (good content drives traffic) and the community in general. I could certainly earn a few bucks running my own site/blog/whatever. My threads here have over a million views combined, easily.

If I lose interest in TMC I'm probably just going to have more free time. Dealing with the Internet isn't very appealing.

Anyway, this isn't my site. Admins can do whatever they want, not my call.

I would appreciate longer edit time window, if possible

Hey guys we just got new posts marking system alive, watch out icons in the right hand corner of each post

Mouse over brings icons up

I wish I could select more than one icon option for post feedback, but lets not push it

Last edited:
Not to sound like an ass, but I've left and returned when things have been resolved to my satisfaction in each case, most of which is non-public. So don't belittle my position when you know nothing about it.

The reputation system was useful for finding and filtering by members who's content had some value based on years of recognition from the rest of the forum. That is worth having. Forcing a reboot of that kills that orignal value entirely for those who have been recognized and for the rest of the community looking for good content. Makes no sense to reset... how does that help the community?

I attempted to approach the subject civilly, but I guess I failed. You appear to have taken clear offense to my post.. apologies.

I'm glad you've found the new layout resolved to your satisfaction. And we'll have to continue to disagree that previous rep matters. You know who were/are valuable contributors, so what do you lose? Only the respect of new members, in my view.

Back to the topic at hand - I see that there are like/dislike, etc buttons now. Maybe someone can down vote me for my bad attitude. ;)

Really sorry if I missed it, but how do we mark an individual forum read like we used to be able to. It's uncommon that I have time to go through all the sub-forums I'm interested in at once and the old feature to mark a sub-forum read but leave the others untouched was great. Can't find it in the redesign. Thanks.

Really sorry if I missed it, but how do we mark an individual forum read like we used to be able to. It's uncommon that I have time to go through all the sub-forums I'm interested in at once and the old feature to mark a sub-forum read but leave the others untouched was great. Can't find it in the redesign. Thanks.

Click mark forums read under the "Forums" text in the upper left of the page. Select your option.

Well it has been a few days now...and to be frank and direct this new format is plain unappealing to use. You have to scroll...a lot to get through a few peoples posts. the 'information' density is much too sparse. the white, makes me dim my screen, and do peoples avatars really need to be equal to nine lines of text? Also the display of the avatar beside who started the post just gives a cluttered look. do i need to see homer simpson before i see the topic posted? One last thing, when it says last post was 'wednesday' or whatever , i much rather see a date.

I am not a prolific poster. I post sporadically, but agree with WK057, the content makes this site. while i know lots of people on this board take the 'sh**" sandwich approach to feedback (good-bad-good), I prefer to be more direct. I say the above, as I really really like surfing this forum, and feel in its current form, it will never be as good as it was. the content will be lost amidst white and long scrolls. and content is the key to success.

please strongly consider reverting back to the old forum.

f i knew how, i would make a poll.