Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New forum/sub-group for maintenance and repair?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ajbessinger

Owner of QC Charge #2 (Portland OR)
Sep 2, 2020
Portland Oregon, USA
I've been looking around in the forums for any kind of section dedicated to performing maintenance and repairs to Teslas, but it appears the only thing that comes close are the threads for "techincal/mechanical issues". That's all fine and well, but in the case of the Model S version of said thread, it's 172 pages long!!! I was hoping to find some sort of sub-group where I could help to contribute some helpful information to those who wish to repair their cars themselves , or would like to find other alternatives to the Tesla service centers.

I think we really need to create dedicated categories for maintenance and repair, where people can post individual treads for various issues, especially as more and more cars are starting to come off warranty. For example, all 2012 Model S's are now off warranty, and 2013's start coming off warranty this year, as well as some other cars, like many of the 40 and 60kwh Model S's.

Contrary to what many may believe, for those that are at all mechanically inclined, there are actually a lot of things that can be repaired or maintained in a DIY fashion on these cars. There are also a handful of self checks that can be performed to determine the health of your car (e.g., like the equivalent of checking your oil or air filter in an ICE car). One BIG one of which that I've been trying to promote is checking for internal coolant leakage into the motor on cars with large drive units.

I actually work for a 3rd party EV Repair shop in Southern California (where we just so happen to specialize in "Tesla Powered" cars), and I would be more than happy to contribute regularly to some sort of forum like this in order to help folks keep their cars on the road!

Any insight for preventative care on a 60kwh battery in a 2013 Model S with around 80k mileage? Battery has never had issues however, the motor was replaced along with the usual suspects (eMMC chip, door handles, TPMS sensors, windshield wiper motor). Warranty expiration is near...

Any insight for preventative care on a 60kwh battery in a 2013 Model S with around 80k mileage? Battery has never had issues however, the motor was replaced along with the usual suspects (eMMC chip, door handles, TPMS sensors, windshield wiper motor). Warranty expiration is near...
I would definitely say to keep an eye on your motor speed sensor (remove it to check for coolant leakage at least once per year). Other than that, not a whole lot you can do in terms of preventative maintenance other than making sure fluids are topped up. Maybe change your drive unit gearbox oil about every 100k mi (since your drive unit has been swapped, you are likely good on that for a long time).

If you haven't seen it yet, here's a video on how to check the speed sensor in your drive unit:

I agree!! I just made a post where I wrote about our DIY wheel swap in detail...I posted under the Model Y forum (because we have a Model Y) but it was a little silly since the jack points and lugnut specs are similar across all cars, so it could have been applicable to anyone.

A maintenance forum would be very helpful :)

Reactions: ajbessinger