Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Fremont Delivery Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked mine up in early Dec there. Very nice, free coffee bar and wifi. Before actual delivery they give a quick intro lesson on how to start the car, driving, etc. Delivery is in a huge warehouse with other Model S and 3s. Your car will have a few spotlights on it, making it look super sexy. Don't forget to take pictures!

Reactions: DoubleDownOn9
Just for comparison, Tesla's new factory deliver center looks much cooler than Audi's Ingolstadt factory delivery center below. :) Out of interest, what did the old Tesla Fremont delivery center look like?

3labs_01_640px-e1491092327228.jpg

header315.jpg

Last edited:
Just for comparison, Tesla's new factory deliver center looks much cooler than Audi's Ingolstadt factory delivery center below. :) Out of interest, what did the old Tesla Fremont delivery center look like?

header315.jpg

The old Fremont delivery center was a giant white tent they set up in the middle of the factory parking lot, which they set up only on the last month of each quarter. Thats where I picked up the X.

I'm happy they moved it to a new location now.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
The new delivery center is like an Apple genie bar with a small drink bar, some Tesla product and a X and S for you to sit in while you wait. The delivery area is EXTREMELY dark, you have to have really good eyes to be able to see all the blemishes that might come with the car. Good luck.
The entire experience wasn't bad, but it feels more like buying an IPhone than a 100K vehicle.

• Informative
I didn't find it dark - no one's cameras complained over lack of light. :) Each car in the delivery area was lit up separately, making it a bit dramatic when you first walked into the delivery area. But as you can see from these pics, not augmented with flash, there was plenty of light, even some natural light.

You are always free to ask that the car be taken outside in natural light.
IMG_3580.JPG
IMG_3576.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3581.JPG

I didn't find it dark - no one's cameras complained over lack of light. :) Each car in the delivery area was lit up separately, making it a bit dramatic when you first walked into the delivery area. But as you can see from these pics, not augmented with flash, there was plenty of light, even some natural light.

You are always free to ask that the car be taken outside in natural light. View attachment 266966 View attachment 266967 View attachment 266968 View attachment 266969

Thanks, Bonnie. After some glamour shots inside, I’ll definitely ask for the car to be taken outside (if the weather’s good).

For sure, it's harder to spot small scratches and fitment issue with that type of lighting. Cars will look shinier with the spot lights on like that, but it's best to have natural lights in a big building like that.

As I said, think like you are picking up a new IPhone at the store
For what it's worth, the car looked even better outside. I'm not sure why direct lights on a car would make it difficult to spot anything. They had natural light source there, too.

I did a quick google search to see if I could find anything supporting what you're saying (def not extensive). All I saw were some blog posts from detailers using small handheld lights to get close to see things like rough paint or swirls. Is there something you're basing your statement upon?

The spotlight came from 20 feet up, you are not getting enough coverage to see the whole car. The problem is worse when you go at night like I did as it was even darker. It's like going to the jewelry store, look at how pretty everything is under a spotlight. Take it out and you will see the difference.

header315.jpg
The old center was nothing special. The first car we picked up was just in a parking lot next to that delivery center building under a fixed canopy. The X we picked up a year ago was in a tent next to the delivery center / customer service center. Definitely not impressive. In fact, I liked the canopy better than the tent. The tent was depressing. We'll be picking up our 3 from the new center it seems.

• Informative
For what it's worth, the car looked even better outside. I'm not sure why direct lights on a car would make it difficult to spot anything. They had natural light source there, too.

I did a quick google search to see if I could find anything supporting what you're saying (def not extensive). All I saw were some blog posts from detailers using small handheld lights to get close to see things like rough paint or swirls. Is there something you're basing your statement upon?
Yes, detailers use very bright lights with distinct sharp bulbs (without diffusers) to highlight paint defects. I think what the other poster is saying is dramatic light tends to hide detail in the shadow areas since what makes the light "dramatic" is the high contrast of bright lights and dark ambient lighting. So the parts that are occluded from the light will be harder to inspect. Being outside where the sky diffuses the light makes more parts of the car more visible.

I think it is quite illustrative of the style over substance design ethos Tesla has been toying with in recent times, that they chose a dark hall with dramatic lighting for deliveries. Compare to the arguably rather more dull Audi factory delivery center, which was all about maximum natural light with glass walls and glass ceiling - i.e. the stuff that a person doing a delivery inspection would most benefit from.

Indeed the whole traditional design ethos for car dealerships, at least in Europe, has been very large windows and natural light. Tesla opting for a direction more about dramatic appearances speaks of a different kind of design ethos.

I think it is quite illustrative of the style over substance design ethos Tesla has been toying with in recent times, that they chose a dark hall with dramatic lighting for deliveries. Compare to the arguably rather more dull Audi factory delivery center, which was all about maximum natural light with glass walls and glass ceiling - i.e. the stuff that a person doing a delivery inspection would most benefit from.

Indeed the whole traditional design ethos for car dealerships, at least in Europe, has been very large windows and natural light. Tesla opting for a direction more about dramatic appearances speaks of a different kind of design ethos.

You ever think that the building was existing so they did what they could to get a higher end atmosphere? To say that they are intentionally keeping it dark to hide flaws is ridiculous. I just picked up our X yesterday and the experience was fine. I found some very minor clear cost bubbles on hood but so far everything else is fine after going through 4 of the 5 checklist pages at home.

I told them I would be going over the car today in he sun and they said no problem, just let them know if any issues and they will take care of them. Contradicts the "hiding" of flaws.

Some people just have nothing better to do I guess.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
To say that they are intentionally keeping it dark to hide flaws is ridiculous

I don't think they are intentionally hiding flaws.

But I do think the dramatic lighting and design ethos attached to it is very likely intentional - irrespective of what they building realities were. After all, they could have gone for more traditional, expansive overhead lighting to achieve an effect similar to natural light, but instead they went for dramatic effect. A co-incidence? I doubt it.

Tesla seems to like dramatic effect, even when it is counterintuitive for the delivery inspection process, apparently.

I told them I would be going over the car today in he sun and they said no problem, just let them know if any issues and they will take care of them. Contradicts the "hiding" of flaws.

Isn't your point proving the lighting wasn't sufficient for the inspection?

And you would lack the ability to decline delivery, in that event of take it home and inspect later. There might be disagreements on what was there and not, etc. Even if it isn't intentionally hard for the inspection (and I agree, I don't think it is), the dramatic lighting may still play a part in hiding some flaws that otherwise might have resulted in the buyer decliding delivery. Asking to take the car outside sounds possible, but again, an extra effort that people may be reluctant to do...

So as an end-result, the lighting may hinder the delivery inspection. IMO that seems like a fact. No?