TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New from Tesla 100D (non-"P")

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by arbx, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

kmob, that sounds ridiculous. You can use my case as an example with your DS. I ordered on 12/19, and upgraded to the 100D this past Tuesday (1/24), and only had to pay the $500 fee. Sounds like they made some changes since Tuesday? Maybe so many people upgraded to the 100D, which moved them to the back of the queue, that a lot of other folks got moved up?

2. rrosenbl

rrosenbl Member

What date did you place your initial order? Before January 15th cutoff for supercharging-for-life? Tesla wouldn't let me upgrade.

3. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I'm speculating that in the past week people moved from the 90 to the 100 and pulled up delivery of the 90s.

Depends on your situation which is better. As the add more SpC having unlimited charging will go up in utility and value.

4. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

In another thread, someone reported their 100D order is now quoting deliver in late February/March.

Could be a combination of 90D orders being cancelled and replaced with 100D orders - and perhaps they've been able to increase the 100 battery pack production faster than expected.

With only a $3K price difference between the 90D and 100D, seems unlikely many new 90D orders will be placed...

5. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

I placed my S90D order on 1/15 and contacted my DS about upgrading to the 100D. I could have done so without losing my deposit, but I would lose the unlimited supercharging. After a little thinking and discussion with my DS, I kept the 90. I figure that the extended range will be less of an issue in light of a (supposedly) expanding SpC network. Resale probably will be a wash, if it even matters (I plan on keeping and driving in such a fashion that resale ain't gonna be much, anyhow).

In any case, it's not worth agonizing over. Folks have been driving and enjoying the bejeebers out of the "sub-100" SCs for far too long to bellyache over this matter.

If I end up terribly concerned about it, I'll just lease the car and deal with what's available in a few years. I have about a month to decide on that. This is the only time in twenty-something years of car ownership that I've even considered leasing a personal car, and it's more about the "what's to come" thought and the absolute absence of residual value history for more than a few years than 100kWh v. unlimited supercharging.

6. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

For us, our typical road trip is around 180 miles. At full highway speeds, we should be able to comfortably make that drive without stopping at a supercharger - with a 100D.

Our P85 requires stopping at a supercharger, and even with the extra range of a 90D, we'd likely have to make a stop, unless we always did a 100% charge before starting the drive.

For most daily driving, our P85 has had more than sufficient charge, so having a 90D or 100D shouldn't have much impact for most people for daily driving - it's only an issue for long distance driving - and it will depend on the type and frequency of road trips to determine if the difference between 90D and 100D would have much impact.

7. kmob07

kmob07 Member

Unfortunately I was rendered a "final verdict" from Tesla on my 12/31 90D order that I tried to change to a 100D on 1/25. "No go, eat the $2500 cancellation charge, and re-order."

Well - I'm going to do half of it - I will be cancelling my 90D, but I won't be re-ordering a Tesla. So frustrating - after a year+ of lusting after this car to lose out here is a major bummer. I do understand all of the points on ordering parts, custom configurations, etc but the shenanigans they played here on a "late March" deliver 90D magically being ready for build NOW is either poor planning at best or downright dishonesty at worst. Either way, I'm out. Total bummer.

8. Venomboy

Venomboy Member

I asked about changing from a 90D to 100D on Jan 21. I was told I'd only have to pay the $500 fee but I'd lose my supercharging for life and it might push out delivery a few weeks.

9. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

It sounds like they changed their policy late on 1/24 or early on 1/25 to charge $2500 instead of $500 to upgrade from the 90D to the 100D. Perhaps there were just too many cancelling the 90D and they didn't want to get stuck with that many inventory cars?

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

The $2500 charge would be because the deposit for the original 90D order had already become non-refundable and the car was too far into the production queue. Instead of charging $500 to change the order after the $2500 deposit became non-refundable, they would just not refund the $2500 deposit and you'd have to make a brand new order.

In our household, we had until the 22nd to change the order (no fee) or cancel. We ended up cancelling, getting the $2500 back and then actually ended up placing a new order yesterday.

11. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

MorrisonHiker, I ordered on 12/19 and upgraded on 1/24 for $500. Kmob ordered on 12/31 and tried to upgrade on 1/25 and was told his car couldn't be upgraded unless he gave up his $2500 down payment. Something changed in 24 hours, as there was no way his car was too far along versus mine when I ordered 12 days before him.

• Helpful x 1
  12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

His original order must've entered the production queue. Once it enters the queue, you can't make any additional changes and must forfeit the $2500 deposit and make a new order if you want to change anything. Even though your order was made weeks earlier, it wasn't in the production queue yet and you were able to change by only paying the $500 change fee. While you ordered before @kmob07 , cars aren't built in the order that orders are placed. They batch cars together based on certain options. Because of this, @kmob07 's car was farther into the production queue than yours and he wasn't able to make a change.

On my previous order last year, I tried changing to get the premium seats in November. Since the car had just entered the production queue, I was no longer able to pay just the $500 change fee. I would've had to forfeit the $2500 deposit and make a new order. This is the same thing that is happening to many people in January who are trying to upgrade to a 100D.

• Informative x 1
  13. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

+1 to what @MorrisonHiker said. Cars are not built in the order in which the orders are received. I'll add that we know full well that geography matters when it comes to production, so that Tesla can maximize quarterly numbers. East coast orders (kmob) are queued earlier than west coast (Pinot.Noir).

• Informative x 1
  14. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Thanks guys...I had thought they were in the order they were received. I guess I got that idea from all the chatter when I ordered the Model 3.

15. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

You are quite welcome. It's a natural assumption to make. I wouldn't know if any different if I hadn't already heard it from someone else. :)

16. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Moderator

I can totally understand your anger. But Tesla is not obliged to change your confirmed order without the extra costs. It would have been goodwill, and usually they are very forthcoming. In this case they must have had their reasons not to be flexible. That is very frustrating. But I'm pretty sure that in a few weeks time, when your anger subdues, you will regret not getting a Tesla, as you will be missing out on so much (I've been driving one for 3,5 years now, and just got my second one, a 90D). I expect you will then order a 100D. And you will never regret that decision!