Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks!

Tessie got a facelift. My 2015 Model S P90DL came with the old nosecone front. Yesterday, Unplugged Performance of Hawthorne, CA, put on their very cool new bumper created in the style of the OEM bumper but designed to fit older Model S Teslas. Part of the reason for the buy, aside from improved appearance while I own the car, is to enhance resale value.

I ordered it around 12 days ago, made the down payment, and they proceeded to paint it. Then I was told to drop by for the install, which took around four hours. I took Lyft to a restaurant for lunch, then to the library, where I read most of a 200-page book. Then David Chi, the sales guy I was dealing with, called to say come pick it up. I was really impressed!

The front license plate mount was an issue. David suggested either a magnetic mount or an adhesive mount. I chose magnetic. David warned me there was a remote possibility it could come off but that thing is on very tight. It ain't coming off. And it's designed to prevent paint damage. Note how the plate holder conforms to the contour of the bumper. Looks amazing. Very clean!

The bumper comes with a method of unlocking the frunk so you can access the 12-volt battery. No nosecone to remove.

Cost:

Front fascia: $2,995.
Install/paint: $1,200
Plus tax on product.
License plate mount: No charge

Now, if only I could get my own wrinkled face lifted for a similar amount....

The photo with the two men: Left is Edward, the technician who did the install. Thank you, Ed. Right is David in sales. Thank you, David, for guiding me through this. I had UP do the install since they're not far away. In fact, they're located about a block from Elon Musk's SpaceX facility and the Tesla Design Center. And their paint/install price was competitive with body shop prices. Besides, they know what they're doing. They aren't gonna screw things up. I included a photo of the UP lobby.

After I shot the pics, I dropped by SpaceX for a battery top-off, then headed home. OK, I shot one more pic of the SpaceX Supercharger facility.

If you're not in the neighborhood, they will ship you the product along with detailed instructions so you can have a local shop paint and install the unit. There's more info on this, along with videos, on their website.

You can find UP with a simple Google search. I heartily recommend them.

IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

Looks good but a word of fair warning: if you think that changing out OEM bumper covers for aftermarket covers will increase your resale value you may be in for a rude awakening when it comes time to sell. You may be able to squeeze a few more bucks out of someone specifically looking for that mod but most won't be interested in paying more and might even devalue it based on that modification. No to rain on your parade because it's a good look so I'm not trying to hate but just set expectations that you should invest in something like this because you like the way it looks and not because you think it will increase resale value.

Looks good but a word of fair warning: if you think that changing out OEM bumper covers for aftermarket covers will increase your resale value you may be in for a rude awakening when it comes time to sell. You may be able to squeeze a few more bucks out of someone specifically looking for that mod but most won't be interested in paying more and might even devalue it based on that modification. No to rain on your parade because it's a good look so I'm not trying to hate but just set expectations that you should invest in something like this because you like the way it looks and not because you think it will increase resale value.
Thanks. I'm aware it may not help, but it sure wouldn't hurt. In any event, the main reason is the fact that I like it.

Long after my first reply I got to thinking about the hundreds of Tesla-for-sale ads I've seen. Now this is nothing more than an impression and certainly not backed by data. I do not recall price info, which of course is a major factor. But what I think I noticed is that older Teslas with the new fascia were sold quicker than those without. I say this because I noticed those cars but they did not stick around long. For what it's worth. Maybe someone will do a study.

• Helpful
Reactions: dethman
It looks very nice. The only thing that matters is that you like it. If you sell it to another individual, I wouldn’t think it’d hurt the sales price, it’s obvious you care for the car a lot, and I think that in itself has value. It would if I were looking to buy a several year old car.

You can get your wrinkled mug updated, but you aren’t going to do it for $4K. It might increase your trade in value. Your wife looking to upgrade?

The trouble is no matter how good a job they do to the outside, there’ll still be that tired, old, worn out, cranky guy underneath.

It looks very nice. The only thing that matters is that you like it. If you sell it to another individual, I wouldn’t think it’d hurt the sales price, it’s obvious you care for the car a lot, and I think that in itself has value. It would if I were looking to buy a several year old car.

You can get your wrinkled mug updated, but you aren’t going to do it for $4K. It might increase your trade in value. Your wife looking to upgrade?

The trouble is no matter how good a job they do to the outside, there’ll still be that tired, old, worn out, cranky guy underneath.
You're right! My last gas car, which I sold several months ago, was a 1997 BMW 328i, stick shift. I took very good care of it and it looked and drove great. I had it detailed then shot 85 pics in a lovely, photogenic place. It had around 180,000 miles on it. Twenty-two years old, 180K miles and I owned it for 11 years. The ad on Craigslist used 24 of those photos and I listed all the thing I'd done in the way of maintenance, repairs, parts, etc. The heading for that list was: THINGS YOU WON'T HAVE TO FIX. I made that thing look irresistible. And it sold for my high price. Anybody could see I took excellent care of it, as I will with the Tesla. Only without all the miserable, expensive drivetrain issues. LOL

As for me personally, there is no hope. I am quickly deteriorating, despite hitting the gym and lap swimming five days a week.

24224500-A7E8-44C8-9CD0-3A9004AE39D6.jpeg
05127C41-501F-482A-A059-02EB2ACF4235.jpeg
Yeah, I see Tessie in that pic! Cool car you have. Too bad we didn't meet face to face! I live out in the desert NNE of LA, city of Lancaster. Whereabouts are you?
Your car looked awesome. Pretty happy with mine the way the mods turned out.

Attachments

• 149986E6-5F58-41B4-8CF5-7A8A6C04F674.jpeg
    149986E6-5F58-41B4-8CF5-7A8A6C04F674.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 91A4711B-4F05-46E8-BFE7-B3FC7227AB56.jpeg
    91A4711B-4F05-46E8-BFE7-B3FC7227AB56.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 57