Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New front seat design now shipping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This should help sum. Again I’m 6’2 there is more room in the front passenger seat with a rear facing car seat.

Attachments

• 48EFF6E8-83FF-427A-B950-4EBD27E358C3.jpeg
    48EFF6E8-83FF-427A-B950-4EBD27E358C3.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 328
  • 7065D2F0-2E2F-4E5E-9793-545D459986B2.jpeg
    7065D2F0-2E2F-4E5E-9793-545D459986B2.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 337
  • 06C251D3-1644-4D3D-AD17-087B420FBDB9.jpeg
    06C251D3-1644-4D3D-AD17-087B420FBDB9.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 309
This should help sum. Again I’m 6’2 there is more room in the front passenger seat with a rear facing car seat.
How do you keep the seat cover on for your Diono? I've to the same car seat for my 3 yr old and will get another for my newborn once he's out of the capsule thing. How ever the plan is to put him in the middle as we got the 7 seater. With the idea that having the two kids seats together makes it easy to pick up one of my parents for dinner or both. With some planning I could always move my daughter to the rear seat then have my rents on each side.

Am I dreaming here?

Hi All, I picked up my Model X performance today. There were three problems that will require me to drop it back off at Tesla sometime in the next month. 1. The driver A pillar had a really bad paint job. It looked like the A pillar metal was joined/welded underneath the paint but not sanded smooth. They will send it to a body shop. 2. The middle seat on the driver’s side (6 seater) had some hardened goop that the Tesla service center couldn’t remove so they will replace the seat over the cover. The passenger door had a dent (more of a depression) above the door opener. You could only see it in the light and at the right angle. Hopefully they can fix it with dentless paint repair?

Now, everyone has been wondering about the front seats. I took an X home overnight a month ago with the older front seat design. I really like the new design. They are very comfortable and grip you well on your torso (I’m 6’1” and 185lb for reference). I took some pics of my 6’5” son sitting in the rear seats and driver seat.

The only weird thing that got my attention during my 25 or so miles of driving today was a weird “bird like” chirping/whistling sound by the side mirror at speeds around 15-30mph. I will just have to keep the radio turned up!!!

Attachments

• 209A66F5-479C-4409-9915-61253B7538DE.jpeg
    209A66F5-479C-4409-9915-61253B7538DE.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 284
  • DA1CA585-EA46-4B5F-BB04-9C595D8FFE58.jpeg
    DA1CA585-EA46-4B5F-BB04-9C595D8FFE58.jpeg
    433.8 KB · Views: 279
  • BC57B26D-CD3F-4742-ADBB-45FEBFAD51B0.jpeg
    BC57B26D-CD3F-4742-ADBB-45FEBFAD51B0.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 276
Thanks Davidmac. Those pics are helpful. (I’m 6’4”, waiting on a MX, and glad to see your son fits comfortably.)
I’m curious how the service center responded to the problems. Were they helpful and readily acknowledge the problems or did they try convince you they weren’t really issues. Sounds like they had no choice but to acknowledge item #2 but how about the others?

The service center rep, Josh (3yrs with Tesla) was AWESOME. The first words out of his mouth after congrats was that they found a problem (#1 above) that they will fix whenever I want to bring the car back. Loaner will be provided - said there is a chance that it may be gas (they reimburse for the gas). I found item #2 and #3 mentioned above and pointed them out and he said no problem - they will fix these at the same time. Said I can point out other issues within the first 100 miles. I found one more item last night that I guess I need to notify them via their iOS app. #4 is the front vent (3rd from the driver side) is not correctly aligned in the dash. There are much larger gaps around it versus the other 3. I can see some white paper or foam below it. It should be flush. Other than this, I’m really enjoying the iOS Stats app and OSX menu bar version - very cool!

I would like to try the new seats. One of my few complaints with the seats in the Model X, was the headrest. Being a tall fat guy with a longer torso, the bottom of the headrest would sort of protrude forward and dig into the base of my neck between my shoulder blades. Also not a fan of the headrest in general for lack of cradling your head more. Keeps it from rolling off the rest in a whiplash scenario, not that the new ones would fair any differently.

The rest of the seat is very comfy though. ;)

Reactions: RealDeal
I would like to try the new seats. One of my few complaints with the seats in the Model X, was the headrest. Being a tall fat guy with a longer torso, the bottom of the headrest would sort of protrude forward and dig into the base of my neck between my shoulder blades. Also not a fan of the headrest in general for lack of cradling your head more. Keeps it from rolling off the rest in a whiplash scenario, not that the new ones would fair any differently.

The rest of the seat is very comfy though. ;)

I completely agree! I'm also tall and the old Model X headrests hit me in the lower back of my neck and made those seats very uncomfortable. It looks like they fixed that problem with the new seats which is why I just ordered one.

Reactions: mongo
I completely agree! I'm also tall and the old Model X headrests hit me in the lower back of my neck and made those seats very uncomfortable. It looks like they fixed that problem with the new seats which is why I just ordered one.

Wholy crap! you ordered a new car because the seat was uncomfortable in the last? :D Or is that just 'one' of the reasons you ordered a new one?

Wholy crap! you ordered a new car because the seat was uncomfortable in the last? :D Or is that just 'one' of the reasons you ordered a new one?

Sort of! I had always wanted a Model X and I went on a few long/overnight test drives and loved it except for the headrests. I still planned on buying one sometime in 2020 despite the headrests. But the combination of the new seats, the expiring tax credit, and Tesla guaranteeing* delivery before 12/31 pushed me over the edge and I placed my order. If the seats hadn't changed, I'd still be waiting and looking for aftermarket options to modify the old headrest.

*I'm hearing delivery by 12/31 may not be guaranteed anymore but that's what the website said when I ordered mine. I guess I will find out soon enough. :)

Reactions: mongo
Ahh! Good luck on that delivery! I ordered mine after Raven was confirmed and before the last tax credit expired. I figured I could work around the headrest with some sort of aftermarket pillow/cushion. I have yet to find anything that works particularly well. I have just been 'dealing' with the uncomfortable headrest as well.

How tall are the people that find the headrest uncomfortable. Just curious. I’m 5’10” and didn’t notice anything until this thread about new seats was brought up.

I'm 6'4". I was able to recline the seat a little bit more than I normally would and then the headrest wouldn't hit the lower part of the back of my neck. But I'd prefer to have the seat a little more upright, which I hope will work out with the new seats.

• Informative
Reactions: davezforce
How tall are the people that find the headrest uncomfortable. Just curious. I’m 5’10” and didn’t notice anything until this thread about new seats was brought up.

I am 6'3. The base of my neck and shoulders lines up well with the bottom of the headrest, and because it is sort of flat and not angled forward, it will cut into the necks of anyone who is tall. Or if it just raised up a couple more inches, it would probably be fine.

I tried some cushions for headrests, and they were either way to big, that forced the seat to recline farther than I wanted, or just did not stay put. I decided it was just easier to 'deal' with it.