Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Frunk info (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, didn't see this yesterday and I don't recall it being mentioned before but this makes the X frunk sound much bigger than most of us expected:
Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 11.22.17 AM.png

I doubt I can get one golf bag in my S frunk, never mind two.

OK, didn't see this yesterday and I don't recall it being mentioned before but this makes the X frunk sound much bigger than most of us expected:
View attachment 94238

I doubt I can get one golf bag in my S frunk, never mind two.

Just noticed the updated text as well. I guess this is one solution around the rear storage "issue". Certainly not easy to get strollers up there in the S. I'm guessing the height helps.

The prototype frunk looked like it was about as deep vertically as the Model S single motor frunk is horizontally (into the microwave area). I could see golf bags standing up in the Model X frunk. My back hurt thinking about bending over the nosecone/front bumper at the waist to reach down into the prototype frunk, but a tall item like a golf bag wouldn't have that problem. (The prototype frunk was the same shape as model S frunk, minus the microwave. It was the shape I imagined the Dual motor frunk would be, before it was revealed that dual motor intruded past the microwave) We'll see soon if the final thing is anything like the prototype I guess.

The prototype frunk looked like it was about as deep vertically as the Model S single motor frunk is horizontally (into the microwave area). I could see golf bags standing up in the Model X frunk. My back hurt thinking about bending over the nosecone/front bumper at the waist to reach down into the prototype frunk, but a tall item like a golf bag wouldn't have that problem. (The prototype frunk was the same shape as model S frunk, minus the microwave. It was the shape I imagined the Dual motor frunk would be, before it was revealed that dual motor intruded past the microwave) We'll see soon if the final thing is anything like the prototype I guess.

Kinda OT...

I always wondered if the prototypes were REALLY dual motor. Did anyone actually see the front motor? Isn't it likely they just took a rear-motor MS skateboard and put the MX body on it? If so, the size of the frunk might have been a little bit conceptualized.

Kinda OT...

I always wondered if the prototypes were REALLY dual motor. Did anyone actually see the front motor? Isn't it likely they just took a rear-motor MS skateboard and put the MX body on it? If so, the size of the frunk might have been a little bit conceptualized.

They may very well have done that originally, it took them quite some time afterwards to release the P85D. There are many things we've not seen in person on Model X.

So if can stow two golf bags in the frunk could I change my vote in the second row seat poll to "don't care"? Two golf bags occupy a lot of storage room. By the way, I think the Porsche branded golf bags are beyond tacky. No one with any class would bring one to a golf course unless they worked for the company or won them in a company sponsored golf tournament.

If so, now imagine how great this car would be with a folding second row.

That's really what made the original Model S great (D a little less) in this sense, it is phenomenal what can fit into it - the deep frunk is a great addition to an already insanely great trunk.

Model X without a folding second row will just remain a little bit behind that greatness, because even an insanely great frunk as an addition to a mediocre trunk will end up being mediocre overall.

If so, now imagine how great this car would be with a folding second row.

That's really what made the original Model S great (D a little less) in this sense, it is phenomenal what can fit into it - the deep frunk is a great addition to an already insanely great trunk.

Model X without a folding second row will just remain a little bit behind that greatness, because even an insanely great frunk as an addition to a mediocre trunk will end up being mediocre overall.

I think only a minority of people need that much storage in one spot. The MX will have way more space than any other SUV out there alltogether, with the gulf rising drastically when you actually take passengers along.

People who need a lot of hauling without passengers buy a pickup truck (2, maybe 4-5 passengers). People who more often haul people over cargo buy SUVs/CUVs. People who have to haul large quantities of both buy full-sized vans. I don't think there's much an intersection of people who A) Haul passengers often but not always and B) Haul very long pieces of cargo often, but never haul large volumes of cargo that can be separated.

People who buy competitors pay 4-5x as much for fuel and also can't go 0-60 at McLaren supercar speeds.

What competitor in a similar price range would you use over a Model X, and is a competitor really going to provide a better experience? If I were in your shoes, I'd just buy/rent an appropriate trailer (the MX can tow!) for those rare times you haul very long objects, and if you those occurrences are not rare then I'd recommend you go with a pickup truck instead of a CUV.

What competitor in a similar price range would you use over a Model X, and is a competitor really going to provide a better experience? If I were in your shoes, I'd just buy/rent an appropriate trailer (the MX can tow!) for those rare times you haul very long objects, and if you those occurrences are not rare then I'd recommend you go with a pickup truck instead of a CUV.

For cargo: My Model S, which seems to be the superior car by the looks of it. :)

Model S is excellent, cargo room included.

Reasonably we were expecting Model X to be excellent too in this regard.

Yet Model X seems compromised and I think it is good to say it out loud.