Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Frunk info (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be able to fit 2 travel size or soft-sided carry golf bags in there, but definitely not 2 cart bags stuffed with gear. Hopefully it's possible to fit one golf bag at least.

As long as you have collapsible golf clubs, you're fine. :)

One thing I said to my wife as I was watching: I was hoping for a better closing mechanism on the frunk. Is it still completely manual?

Folks, I think it is bigger than it looks. That woman is almost all the way in there. Probably 2 "golf bags" if they are the small kind, not the mac daddy. And we KNOW it fits a stroller. (not every stroller for sure)

fc59d0d9ff208e13b8f0803c825bc5fc.jpg

4dfe65e5ee9dc96281a4804339fe1939.jpg

Dont have a tape measure handy...anyone know the dimensions of the pre-D Model S frunk? Specifically the 'length' front to back before the cubby was taken away? I have a McLaren stroller that lives in the MS frunk and just fits length-wise...but I thought it was more than 44". Will have to check later...

Post #29 in this thread gives the dimensions of the Model S D frunk

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12335-Trunk-Frunk-dimensions/page3

The depth of the S and X frunk is about the same, the Model S is 15 inches in the back and 8.5 in the front. It's only 26.5 inches wide at the widest point at the bottom, though there are lips on either side that add another 4-6 inches in width. On the D versions, it's 13 inches back to front, but I think it's about double this on the rear wheel drive versions.

The Model X is a few inches wider than the Model S. Additionally it looks like they made the frunk go out closer to the edge of the car, probably opening up some space that was wasted on the Model S. That's probably how they got from around 30 inches wide to 44.

I haven't seen the front motor assembly on a Model S with the frunk removed, however, I believe there is some kind of equipment on top of the motor that extends most of the way to the top of the car, hence halving the frunk space. It looks like on the Model X they rearranged the equipment to be in front of the front motor giving a flatter space to put the frunk over. They got the same depth as the Model S because the X is overall taller, so they had more vertical space to work with.