Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD Beta Button for 2021 Refreshed Plaid and Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might have been discussed already but what score do we need to be granted fsb beta? is it > 80?
They haven't said. But Elon did say that the beta will roll out gradually, so I wouldn't expect everyone with a qualifying score to get it next week. (There is going to be other criteria, like geographic area and daily miles driven, that they are surely going to take into account.)

You have to figure that there are only ~100 non-employee beta testers right now, and most of them have been in the program for about a year. So I would only expect them to add 100-1000 people next week.

They haven't said. But Elon did say that the beta will roll out gradually, so I wouldn't expect everyone with a qualifying score to get it next week. (There is going to be other criteria, like geographic area and daily miles driven, that they are surely going to take into account.)

You have to figure that there are only ~100 non-employee beta testers right now, and most of them have been in the program for about a year. So I would only expect them to add 100-1000 people next week.
What's your source?
Maybe started that small, but at least from earlier this year it was larger.

Reactions: impastu
Maybe started that small, but at least from earlier this year it was larger.
I don't think that expansion ever happened. They currently have ~2,000 testers, as confirmed by Elon ~1 week ago, and almost all of those are employees. (Technically those employees are probably owners as well.)

Last edited:
Well if we are the teachers, shouldn't they be paying us?
Perhaps, but we'll also benefit from helping FSD learn and improve more quickly which in turn helps us get what we paid for when we bought FSD. Don't forget, you can opt out and not contribute / use until the general release. FSD is a massive challenge, and it takes mountains of data to help it progress quickly.

I think a much better example of a company that should be paying its customers / users is Facebook (and other social media) since the platform's users feel like they're getting something for free when in fact the users are the product that's being advertised to, and, and, and...

So, I'll play along with Tesla on this, have some fun along the way, and expect to get a great FSD at some point.

I haven’t gotten the score yet. Pressed button, updated app, drove 20 miles, logged in/out several times, it’s been 6 hours. Only thing is I don’t have wifi in my parking garage. Thoughts?

Thing is after I started getting my score, my score will update to latest drive over cellular and not need wifi. Wondering if you need wifi for the first time? But seems odd that it works fine without being connected to wifi that you'd have to do it the first time. Who knows...some backend server thing....or is it by car model?

I applied and it says that I am in the queue. What is the indication that I should see the score in the app? Will there be a message of some sort? Email, on the central screen, etc.
It will show the “Safety Score” section. No notification. No email. No notification in-car. No smoke signal. It has taken hours. Best Bet, sleep tonight and it will be there tomorrow.

Reactions: Bull and impastu
Thing is after I started getting my score, my score will update to latest drive over cellular and not need wifi. Wondering if you need wifi for the first time? But seems odd that it works fine without being connected to wifi that you'd have to do it the first time. Who knows...some backend server thing....or is it by car model?
Yea I don’t know. I have a plaid. I’ll connect to wifi tomm and see if I get a score. I can’t use my phone hotspot because my phone is a company phone and the plan doesn’t support hotspots. I tried calling and changing it before but no dice.

Yea I don’t know. I have a plaid. I’ll connect to wifi tomm and see if I get a score. I can’t use my phone hotspot because my phone is a company phone and the plan doesn’t support hotspots. I tried calling and changing it before but no dice.

I don't think anyone will tell you exactly how the safety score appears. But it seems, as I'm sure you've browsed about the FSD button on here and on youtube comments of FSD beta testers, it is one or a combination of the above"

- connecting car to wifi
- installing latest update on iOS through app store to get 4.1 or above or use a server for android since it's not up on official play store yet
- signing out of app and back in
- waiting an hour or so
- restart phone

my experience:

- updating app
- waited an hour or two
- went for a few miles drive
- came back and connected car to wifi
- signed out of app and signed back on and it showed up....(my honest educated guess is that it will show up if you are on the latest version...similar to if there is a software update..that it will show up...i see that each time I go into the safety score it is updating and pull data from the tesla servers)

If you are enrolled in the request for beta, it will show up...we are just impatient and excited...so it's hard to just wait. I totally get it!

Regarding how they are going to determine who gets FSD Beta first, here is what Elon tweeted.
"First few days probably 100/100, then 99, 98, etc."
This is going to be near impossible for people like myself living in a nightmare driving city like metro LA. I have had FCW's with people who cut in front of me, or suddenly slow down to make a turn out of nowhere. It has nothing to do with my driving skills when I am already driving like a grandma and under the speed limit. In addition, it's docking me for unsafe distance while on autopilot (it's not supposed to) on freeways and I had it set to 6. This Safety Score Beta thing is not polished at all, and the excitement of suddenly having access to FSD is now an unfair annoyance. Another let down from this company.

Regarding how they are going to determine who gets FSD Beta first, here is what Elon tweeted.
This is going to be near impossible for people like myself living in a nightmare driving city like metro LA. I have had FCW's with people who cut in front of me, or suddenly slow down to make a turn out of nowhere. It has nothing to do with my driving skills when I am already driving like a grandma and under the speed limit. In addition, it's docking me for unsafe distance while on autopilot (it's not supposed to) on freeways and I had it set to 6. This Safety Score Beta thing is not polished at all, and the excitement of suddenly having access to FSD is now an unfair annoyance. Another let down from this company.
Yep, as I predicted a couple of days back. You could be driving like a nanny for weeks or months in hopes of getting the download. As I said, I’m out if my 99 doesn’t result in a download next weekend. I bought the Plaid to enjoy it, safely, but this safety score required driving really dampens the experience, especially if after a week you get shite, or the ..|.., for your efforts and lack of enjoyment.

You're so right and I wondered about this. Took a trip from WA to Fresno CA and was horrified at how close and fast everyone drives. I mean literally 2 ft distance at 70+mph. If you left even a little bit of space, drivers would just cut in front of you. This explained all the horrible fog pileups.

I can't even imaging how FSD would handle this. I don't recall any testers demoing FSD in an environment like that. Not sure how any safety app software could accurately measure any good driver when surrounded by bad ones. It's my understanding that's why insurance rates are sky high out there.