Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: not a disengagement, but I notice my X accelerates out of left and right turns AGGRESSIVELY. It is noticeable. It’s in the proper lane, it made the turn correctly, etc…it’s just that the acceleration pushes me back in my seat. Anyone else notice that?
Yes, my older X as well. Too aggressive immediately after making the turn. Hey, decades ago back in the Fred Flintstone era, I used to fly a jet off a carrier, so even I am surprised how aggressive it is. At least it didn't go Mach 1 :oops:

Just tried a very short trip to the post office.

1. I think it is a little fast in the city, speeding up to 40mph limit on the road quickly only to brake hard later in the red lights, probably have to adjust offset to have a smoother ride.
2. On road that is not well marked, my road has an clear asphalt line and some reflectors, the car actually sway between the two lanes (same direction) a bit. Glad there are no cops around :p
3. It knows how to turn into recessed turn area for turns which is good
4. Couple left turns disengaged in the middle, not sure why
5. One left turn almost hit the curb
6. One right turn disengaged in the recessed turn area, another one makes it but too wide for my taste.
7. It reached the post office but wouldn’t turn into parking lot and stopped in the middle of the road.

Guess I must be fully vigilant on using it 😁

Just tried a very short trip to the post office.

1. I think it is a little fast in the city, speeding up to 40mph limit on the road quickly only to brake hard later in the red lights, probably have to adjust offset to have a smoother ride.
2. On road that is not well marked, my road has an clear asphalt line and some reflectors, the car actually sway between the two lanes (same direction) a bit. Glad there are no cops around :p
3. It knows how to turn into recessed turn area for turns which is good
4. Couple left turns disengaged in the middle, not sure why
5. One left turn almost hit the curb
6. One right turn disengaged in the recessed turn area, another one makes it but too wide for my taste.
7. It reached the post office but wouldn’t turn into parking lot and stopped in the middle of the road.

Guess I must be fully vigilant on using it 😁
sounds like what I have been experiencing for a while. Hard to believe it might be getting constantly better if using it for the first time, but I have seen regular improvement. I rarely use it in town any more except to briefly try out new versions. I use it on the freeway on long trip where I really like it. Let's hope it continues to improve.

ps. watch those aggressive speed ups too soon after a sharp turn from a stop.

I highly encourage all the new testers to do the following:

1) Recalibrate the cameras - go into Settings, Service, Calibrate Cameras. You need to be in Park to erase the calibration data. I recommend doing it at a stop light just before a freeway/highway onramp. Then just drive in a middle lane on the freeway/highway until it calibrates - usually about 5-10 miles if the roads are well marked.

2) Then pull over into a parking lot and go into Park. You'll need to re-enable all the FSD features, including Autopilot settings, Navigate on Autopilot, and FSD Beta. Check all the settings to make sure they are what you want for your drive.

3) Once everything is dialed in, reboot the car. Put your foot on the brake and hold down the two scroll wheels until the screen goes black. Then stop with the scroll wheels, but leave your foot on the brake. Once you see the "T" on the screen, you can remove your foot from the brake.

4) After rebooting the car, go into Settings, Safety and format the USB drive, which will clear all the dashcam data from it. When you press the report button during your FSD Beta experiences, the car writes a lot of data to the USB drive, which it will then upload to Tesla the next time the car connects to WiFi (usually at your house). It's a lot of data (gigabytes), so fair warning to those with data caps on your home Internet.

1) Recalibrate the cameras - go into Settings, Service, Calibrate Cameras. You need to be in Park to erase the calibration data. I recommend doing it at a stop light just before a freeway/highway onramp. Then just drive in a middle lane on the freeway/highway until it calibrates - usually about 5-10 miles if the roads are well marked.

2) Then pull over into a parking lot and go into Park. You'll need to re-enable all the FSD features, including Autopilot settings, Navigate on Autopilot, and FSD Beta. Check all the settings to make sure they are what you want for your drive.

3) Once everything is dialed in, reboot the car. Put your foot on the brake and hold down the two scroll wheels until the screen goes black. Then stop with the scroll wheels, but leave your foot on the brake. Once you see the "T" on the screen, you can remove your foot from the brake.

4) After rebooting the car, go into Settings, Safety and format the USB drive, which will clear all the dashcam data from it. When you press the report button during your FSD Beta experiences, the car writes a lot of data to the USB drive, which it will then upload to Tesla the next time the car connects to WiFi (usually at your house). It's a lot of data (gigabytes), so fair warning to those with data caps on your home Internet.
and what is your reasoning for doing all this? Seems to me that if it were important, then tesla would be recommending it. Enquiring minds want to know ;)

Reactions: boonedocks
and what is your reasoning for doing all this? Seems to me that if it were important, then tesla would be recommending it. Enquiring minds want to know ;)
1) I read people's reports of their car not staying centered in a lane, not picking up lanes correctly, missing signs (like stop signs or speed limit signs), etc. Calibrating the cameras can help with these issues. As these are new testers, it's important they have the best experience out of the gate.

2) Recalibrating the cameras will disable all the Autopilot functions.

3) Rebooting the car can definitely solve little issues that can pop up, such as the car suddenly not working when attempting to summon it. Some people have red-wheel-of-death because a camera glitched, and reboot can solve some of these issues. Sometimes it requires a complete power down to resolve.

4) When the USB drive fills up with normal sentry mode clips and dashcam footage, the system has to work to free older space up for when you press the report button during an FSD problem. By keeping the USB drive clean, the system can write the data cleanly without having to perform maintenance to clear up space first.

I have used FSD 5-6 times now. Additional things I am noticing:

1) It did finally stop at the stop sign at the end of my street (3rd try.) Haven't tried a 4th yet.
2) Definitely very poor planning right now. Often, the car goes into the wrong lane and has to quickly go back (with cars around.) I have starting cancelling lane changes that don't make sense.
3) Definitely has tried a few times to go into a turn only lane when the path is to go straight.
4) The car really wants to accelerate quickly, even on chill mode, resulting in a herky-jerky experience when it has to slow down just as suddenly because of traffic.
5) The car has been very smooth on many turns, both left and right. Really impressed, It hasn't gotten close to hitting or jumping a curb yet.
6) On a blinking yellow left turn at a light (two lanes each way), the car kept inching forward and towards oncoming traffic even with many cars coming and no near opportunity to go. I eventually had to cancel and turn the wheel back and move forward a bit to get out of the oncoming lane.
7) Related to 6), I HATE the fact that the wheels many times are turning into oncoming traffic before a turn. Seems super easy to tell the car NOT to turn the wheel until enacting the turn. Basic defensive driving 101.
8) The car is friggin driving itself! AMAZING!

Just to clarify some things:
  • Using the brake pedal to reboot doesn't do anything. That's been clarified many times. Just the two steering wheel buttons reboots the system.
  • The Snapshots are not stored on the USB drive. They are stored in memory on the FSD computer. Also, according to @Greentheonly on twitter (he has root access to his vehicle), you're limited to about 10 snapshots per drive. So make them count. It used to be 5 per drive, but they bumped it up. Don't over snapshot. Save them for egregious errors.

So far my experience has been really positive. I feel like I am in a driver supervisory and occasional correction role. So far not really stressful, but need to be prepared to react quickly, like an instructor. It’s a fun change in role.

Today while crossing an intersection it was supposed to drive straight through, the car suddenly put on its blinker and tried to execute a right turn. Lol. I just held firmly on the wheel, disengaged/drove through, and reported. Obvious error and a strange one.

Also to report I have been using the voice command “bug report [brief description]”

For example I used “bug report car attempted inappropriate right turn.”

Not sure this is the same reporting mechanism as the camera button?
From what I have read, "bug report" just saves something for service to look at. I think you need to push the camera button to report an error to the FSD team. I think there is also an email you can send detailed information to if you are so inclined.

Reactions: mtbwalt
Also to report I have been using the voice command “bug report [brief description]”

For example I used “bug report car attempted inappropriate right turn.”

Not sure this is the same reporting mechanism as the camera button?
Voice command "bug report" isn't FSD beta program specific. It's for any Tesla driver to save data for service to pull if needed.

That camera button is what you want to be using, as it saves a bunch of data and video clips for the FSD beta team. That data will be uploaded next time car is in under wifi. Also be sure to email the address you received when first joining the program. Include date/time of incident and more description for someone that may not understand why you tapped that camera button without more context.

Reactions: mtbwalt
Got FSD beta on my new 2022 Y after about 2 1/2 months of ownership. I had it for about 6 months on the 3 that I traded in. Darted right from middle of three lanes when SUV overtook it in left lane. Accelerates too fast in turns. Too much PB. Have turned FSD and Stop light control off until next update. The frenzied steering reversals in turns can't be good for the power steering drive belt which is a single point failure item in the autopilot. Fail-Operational autonomous systems should not have any single point failure modes. Perhaps the steering electric motor is well monitored to report deterioration but that seems impossible for a drive belt. Normal human steering does not produce anywhere near the peak torque reversal loads that FSD is currently producing.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I also just got FSD on Sunday (yesterday.) I took it on an about 8 mile loop. It did not go so well. On the very first street it started darting back and forth then dove for the curb forcing me to disengage. Then during a right turn it futzed around and dilly-dallied so long I had to take over again. On a right turn from a major street to another major street with a dedicated turn lane it failed to get over in that lane forcing me to take over at the last minute to not miss the turn and blow through the intersection. Finally, on the left turn off the major street leading into my neighborhood it started the turn OK then suddenly threw up the "red steering wheel of Doom" alert and bailed out leaving me in control.

This was on a Sunday afternoon with very little traffic and was already nerve wracking. If this is the latest and greatest I can't imagine what earlier versions were like :( Pretty disappointed now.

Question: not a disengagement, but I notice my X accelerates out of left and right turns AGGRESSIVELY. It is noticeable. It’s in the proper lane, it made the turn correctly, etc…it’s just that the acceleration pushes me back in my seat. Anyone else notice that?
Biggest problem so far, but not the only one. The herky-jerky yoke movements and fast turing make human supervision of this computer very difficult. Trying to keep my hand on the yoke easily triggers a disengagement in the middle of the intersection. They need to smooth that out and slow it down to human scale.

On my first left turn the car tried to turn abruptly into the side of a car in the oncoming lane.

I do like that I can set the speed above the +5 mph limit at a posted speed of 50 or above. Traffic on an important but non-highway roads here usually goes 65 in a 55 or 60 in a 50.

Reactions: Terminator857
Is this the Video Record button on the Model X/S? Would like to not have to slide open the panel to have access to the button right after a harrowing move.

Attachments

• B1C0F550-6FF2-459B-8B4C-35DB243DA51E.jpeg
    B1C0F550-6FF2-459B-8B4C-35DB243DA51E.jpeg
    620.8 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: mcirish
My understanding that that IS the button.

On the Model S, you have to open the Controls window to see the camera button to be able to save a clip.

Tesla also invites beta testers to augment the clip with an email explanation to [email protected].

Personally I would strongly prefer a voice command like “report FSD [description of error]”

That would allow drivers to stay focused on the road, and automatically append a description of the problem to the snapshot. Sending a separate, unliked email is an absurd workflow.

To you new folks:

-it will not handle railroad crossings that are raised. It will send you over them at whatever the speed limit is (or whatever you have or set at). I always disengage for these unless you wanna do a sweet jump.

-it will try to pass school busses (with the lights flashing and “stop” signs deployed) busses in general. Be mindful of this.

-it makes lane choices at the last second, and often are incorrect.

…and a bunch of other stuff. Still hugs the center lane marking when going around curves to the right. I enjoyed having it, and you learn where it works well, and when to take over.

Enjoy, be safe/smart!
If a lane splits into two and you have to choose one of them I usually turn off FSD temporarily. It has a terrible time making up it's mind, waffles back and forth then chooses one lane at the very last second and then changes it's mind and moves over a second later. Not worth the hassle so I just choose one myself now.

If a lane splits into two and you have to choose one of them I usually turn off FSD temporarily. It has a terrible time making up it's mind, waffles back and forth then chooses one lane at the very last second and then changes it's mind and moves over a second later. Not worth the hassle so I just choose one myself now.
I have seen that behavior. It seems to like to choose the lane with a car it can follow, but it definitely waffles.

Yep. It seems a LITTLE better on the beta, but it’s pretty terrible on 2022.101.11.1 (What I’ve been driving for the last few weeks).

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert