Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had FSD Beta since Saturday and I’ve experienced pretty much what you all wrote. It definitely drives more aggressively than I would and I don’t feel confident that it will execute a safe left turn. For people that had the previous build, is the current release an improvement or setback?

I’ve had FSD Beta since Saturday and I’ve experienced pretty much what you all wrote. It definitely drives more aggressively than I would and I don’t feel confident that it will execute a safe left turn. For people that had the previous build, is the current release an improvement or setback?
10.12.2 is much more problematic for me than any of the previous builds going back to 10.2, last October, which was my first. I send in several problen videos on nearly every drive now. In 10.11.2 I would only send in 1 or 2 a week. I expect it’s because they made so many changes, according to Musk, that it unbalanced a lot of things. I hope they release a more solid version soon.

Never used the AP1 autopark feature to put the car in the garage after exiting and I thought the feature was gone along with the stalk parking brake button in the new car but happened upon this screen today.

When parked on a level surface with the foot OFF the brake double press the right scroll wheel.

At home there is a slight grade up to my garage but this is too much pitch for Summon so I cannot use this parking feature even if I wanted to.

(Can’t Pull handles on Model X)

Edit: this is in the manual, with better cancel language

Attachments

• F2F547CA-3EBE-4C6E-82B3-D142CD2DEF4B.jpeg
    F2F547CA-3EBE-4C6E-82B3-D142CD2DEF4B.jpeg
    753.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
This is my third update. I would say it is a combination of both improvement and setback. Overall, better each time, yet a few situations that worked well in the past are either marginal now or slightly worse than previously.

This is my third update. I would say it is a combination of both improvement and setback. Overall, better each time, yet a few situations that worked well in the past are either marginal now or slightly worse than previously.
I used it again today, stoked by you guys to just let it do its thing but report more if issues arise. Have you guys noticed less highway phantom braking with this build? I haven’t tried highway yet.

I used it again today, stoked by you guys to just let it do its thing but report more if issues arise. Have you guys noticed less highway phantom braking with this build? I haven’t tried highway yet.
Yes, I haven’t had any highway phantom braking. Although I did have phantom braking on a city street last night! So overall I’d say issue is better but not resolved.

I’m supremely impressed with FSD Beta. It is far from perfect, but the beta was positioned that way so I’m not surprised. I’m reporting errors as they happen and as a new tester I’m excited to see if things improve for updates next month, next quarter, etc.

Kudos to the Autopilot team!

Have you guys noticed less highway phantom braking with this build? I haven’t tried highway yet.
Hmmmm, frankly I haven't had any phantom braking in months (about 4,000 miles). However, a lot of my driving is on the interstate. I only use FSD in town during long stretches of slow bumper/bumper traffic where there are no turns. It's clear from the forum that a bunch of people still do have unnecessary braking, so largely a factor of where you drive and the ghosts it thinks it sees. :)

Reactions: pilotSteve
The AI driver jerking the yoke around is trying to avoid my supervision by forcefully swinging at my hands, reluctantly resisting my strong-arm two-hand corrections, and petulantly giving up in the middle of intersections on the lightest touch. I suspect those with whole wheels don’t feel so abused.

Let's see. I received 2022.12.3.20 (FSD 10.12.2)

1 - NOA - left parking lot, path showed right turn, car wanted to turn left
2 - NOA - Coming down expressway, approaching clover leaf exit. Car ignores and tries to go straight
3 - NOA - going along state road, 3 lanes. Car carrier off to the right, Car wants to get on carrier
4 - NOA - 6 mile drive home, calculates a route that should've taken me straight along state road. It then shows making a right turn and wants to worm
through side streets with about 10-15 stop signs (it stops longer at stop signs than when I took my road test). Overrode turn and it guided me
home straight on through. Oh, and after it made a right turn in the final stretch FSD disconnects

My advice to potential buyers. Save the 12K. If this is the best they can do after all this time, pack up your computers and go home

Let's see. I received 2022.12.3.20 (FSD 10.12.2)

1 - NOA - left parking lot, path showed right turn, car wanted to turn left
2 - NOA - Coming down expressway, approaching clover leaf exit. Car ignores and tries to go straight
3 - NOA - going along state road, 3 lanes. Car carrier off to the right, Car wants to get on carrier
4 - NOA - 6 mile drive home, calculates a route that should've taken me straight along state road. It then shows making a right turn and wants to worm
through side streets with about 10-15 stop signs (it stops longer at stop signs than when I took my road test). Overrode turn and it guided me
home straight on through. Oh, and after it made a right turn in the final stretch FSD disconnects

My advice to potential buyers. Save the 12K. If this is the best they can do after all this time, pack up your computers and go home
I love this post. No filter/no allegiance to Elon. Just straight reality.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I love this post. No filter/no allegiance to Elon. Just straight reality.
I own 10 shares but the stock price is NOT gonna go up from the 12Ks. It's gonna be from quantity sales. He's also wasting his time with Twitter. 98M followers
and he says whatever is on his mind. I can appreciate the Asperger's excuse but some stuff is just straight out stupid, like there aren't enough people on earth.
Multi billions go to sleep, poor, hungry, no shelter, clean water and there are oceans of plastic trash and he wants more people?

part of it is inherent bias. People paid $12k (or whatever they paid), and right there...its going to be bias. "I want this to work. I believe in it, so that I feel like I got my money's worth".

The reality is this: People are paying $12k to mainly beta test software in order to provide invaluable data back to Elon. Data he could never get just from test drivers on a test track or a handful of test drivers on public roads. I cant argue that he's not a genius because he convinced tens of thousands of people not just to beta test for him on public roads, but to also have those same persons accept 100% full responsibility (in case of an accident) for the testing, AND to pay him $12k. Not to get paid or do it for free But to PAY HIM FOR THE PRIVILEGE. Now THAT....is brilliant. (and kinda pimp like as well). I applaud him for that

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
part of it is inherent bias. People paid $12k (or whatever they paid), and right there...its going to be bias. "I want this to work. I believe in it, so that I feel like I got my money's worth".

The reality is this: People are paying $12k to mainly beta test software in order to provide invaluable data back to Elon. Data he could never get just from test drivers on a test track or a handful of test drivers on public roads. I cant argue that he's not a genius because he convinced tens of thousands of people not just to beta test for him on public roads, but to also have those same persons accept 100% full responsibility (in case of an accident) for the testing, AND to pay him $12k. Not to get paid or do it for free But to PAY HIM FOR THE PRIVILEGE. Now THAT....is brilliant. (and kinda pimp like as well). I applaud him for that
How else do you think FSD is going to happen?

Here's what I'm hearing a lot of people saying:

1) AP and some elements of FSD should be free with all cars
2) For FSD L2 (Autosteer on City Streets + Navigate on Autopilot), Tesla should have done the Safety Score, and then invited people to beta test the software for free
2a) Some argue that all currently available FSD features should be free
2b) Some argue that even though it's totally free, beta testers should be compensated for their time
2c) Some think that Tesla should be liable for all damage during Beta drives
3) Once FSD (including Autosteer on City Streets) is out of beta and ready for release, remove it from everyone's car and charge a fee for L2
3a) Some argue even when it's out of beta and released, it still should be free
3b) Again, a few think Tesla should be fully liable for damages when AP/FSD are enabled

I can totally understand many of these viewpoints. But in life, many "luxury" items are not cheap. I wish airlines flights were cheap, but they're not. So, I have to decide what's important to me. Traveling by air for fun/vacation and paying a high price for that, or staying local and driving instead. Many people here could have purchased their Tesla without FSD and been happy, but they judged those features listed as valuable, and forked over money for the product. Everyone saw the list of features for $12K. If those features weren't worth $12K, then why did you buy it? And don't tell me the ENTIRE $12K decision you made was for Autosteer on City Streets, which has no release date anywhere on the website or in your ordering paperwork. Twitter does NOT count in your ordering process.

Tesla is a company, and like all companies, they want money. Their shareholders want money. They decided to offer FSD for a price to offset development costs, and the free-market ate it up. People keep paying for FSD. The market has spoken.

Now, will that change? Perhaps. If Tesla can't deliver on Autosteer on City Streets, or take the primary features out of beta in a timely manner, then the free-market will correct them. People will stop buying FSD, and perhaps stop buying Tesla vehicles all together. And the prices will drop, as the forces of supply and demand adjust the market.

Just as much as you claim bias from buyers, there is also the flip side - buyer's remorse.

You have a few options:

1) Seek legal action against Tesla to refund your FSD purchase in the United States - where we have limited consumer protection for these types of purchases.

2) Attempt to alter the free-market by persuading buyer to avoid buying FSD - writing articles, forum posts, word-of-mouth with your friends, or even reaching out to local media. This doesn't get your money back, but may lower the cost in the future, or prevent others from feeling as you do.

3) Contact regulatory agencies in an attempt to damage Tesla as a company, or force them to fix problems you find intolerable.

4) Try to work with Tesla and improve the product in the hopes that it will be better in time.

BTW - Do you think ANY of the other manufacturers would be coming out with L2-L5 vehicles if it wasn't for Tesla's disruption of the market? That's the free-market at work!

How else do you think FSD is going to happen?

Here's what I'm hearing a lot of people saying:

1) AP and some elements of FSD should be free with all cars
2) For FSD L2 (Autosteer on City Streets + Navigate on Autopilot), Tesla should have done the Safety Score, and then invited people to beta test the software for free
2a) Some argue that all currently available FSD features should be free
2b) Some argue that even though it's totally free, beta testers should be compensated for their time
2c) Some think that Tesla should be liable for all damage during Beta drives
3) Once FSD (including Autosteer on City Streets) is out of beta and ready for release, remove it from everyone's car and charge a fee for L2
3a) Some argue even when it's out of beta and released, it still should be free
3b) Again, a few think Tesla should be fully liable for damages when AP/FSD are enabled

I can totally understand many of these viewpoints. But in life, many "luxury" items are not cheap. I wish airlines flights were cheap, but they're not. So, I have to decide what's important to me. Traveling by air for fun/vacation and paying a high price for that, or staying local and driving instead. Many people here could have purchased their Tesla without FSD and been happy, but they judged those features listed as valuable, and forked over money for the product. Everyone saw the list of features for $12K. If those features weren't worth $12K, then why did you buy it? And don't tell me the ENTIRE $12K decision you made was for Autosteer on City Streets, which has no release date anywhere on the website or in your ordering paperwork. Twitter does NOT count in your ordering process.

Tesla is a company, and like all companies, they want money. Their shareholders want money. They decided to offer FSD for a price to offset development costs, and the free-market ate it up. People keep paying for FSD. The market has spoken.

Now, will that change? Perhaps. If Tesla can't deliver on Autosteer on City Streets, or take the primary features out of beta in a timely manner, then the free-market will correct them. People will stop buying FSD, and perhaps stop buying Tesla vehicles all together. And the prices will drop, as the forces of supply and demand adjust the market.

Just as much as you claim bias from buyers, there is also the flip side - buyer's remorse.

You have a few options:

1) Seek legal action against Tesla to refund your FSD purchase in the United States - where we have limited consumer protection for these types of purchases.

2) Attempt to alter the free-market by persuading buyer to avoid buying FSD - writing articles, forum posts, word-of-mouth with your friends, or even reaching out to local media. This doesn't get your money back, but may lower the cost in the future, or prevent others from feeling as you do.

3) Contact regulatory agencies in an attempt to damage Tesla as a company, or force them to fix problems you find intolerable.

4) Try to work with Tesla and improve the product in the hopes that it will be better in time.

BTW - Do you think ANY of the other manufacturers would be coming out with L2-L5 vehicles if it wasn't for Tesla's disruption of the market? That's the free-market at work!

Tesla didn't disrupt the market because of FSD. It's because they built alot of electric cars. And ALOT of the features in AP and beta FSD show up in many cars as the base price be they ICE or BEV And BTW I bought it at 6K. I should've forked over the 4k for EAP when I first bought the car but then again my car was built 1 month short of Teslas "innovative" home grown card to replace NVIDIA in all new cars

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Tesla didn't disrupt the market because of FSD. It's because they built alot of electric cars. And ALOT of the features in AP and beta FSD show up in many cars as the base price be they ICE or BEV And BTW I bought it at 6K. I should've forked over the 4k for EAP when I first bought the car but then again my car was built 1 month short of Teslas "innovative" home grown card to replace NVIDIA in all new cars
AP was released 8 years ago. Which cars had those features 8 years ago in their base price?

I love Elon and the company but as a new FSD Beta user I got to say it is pretty terrible. It doesn't know the meaning of smooth whether its accelerating, braking or steering. It continually jerks the steering wheel around (which if I have my hands on it like I am supposed to) causes it to dump out of self-driving. Still phantom braking on a clear day with no obstacles, left-turns are near impossible even with no traffic and then lane choices don't make any sense. It literally shows a right arrow on the screen which should indicate a right turn lane but it will try to use that lane to bypass stopped traffic to go straight. It still hasn't figured out how to handle one lane turning into two or the other way around. It will try to go up the middle then get confused and jerk around back and forth. Driving with FSD with any amount of traffic is an exercise in frustration around you as the car acts like a tweaker going through withdrawals.

I have no doubt this will continue to improve, but this is going to take a *lot* of work.

It does a good job seeing stop signs, lights and stopping/going-through accordingly though.

To you new folks:

-it will not handle railroad crossings that are raised. It will send you over them at whatever the speed limit is (or whatever you have or set at). I always disengage for these unless you wanna do a sweet jump.
Ha, now that is funny. I grew up in an area where the rail tracks were several feet higher than the road, seen too many bad decisions and unfortunately 1 death for people who couldn't handle them. In icy weather a human knows(usually) to go against their instincts and speed up, or you're in trouble.
tracks.jpg