Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Elon and the company but as a new FSD Beta user I got to say it is pretty terrible. It doesn't know the meaning of smooth whether its accelerating, braking or steering. It continually jerks the steering wheel around (which if I have my hands on it like I am supposed to) causes it to dump out of self-driving. Still phantom braking on a clear day with no obstacles, left-turns are near impossible even with no traffic and then lane choices don't make any sense. It literally shows a right arrow on the screen which should indicate a right turn lane but it will try to use that lane to bypass stopped traffic to go straight. It still hasn't figured out how to handle one lane turning into two or the other way around. It will try to go up the middle then get confused and jerk around back and forth. Driving with FSD with any amount of traffic is an exercise in frustration around you as the car acts like a tweaker going through withdrawals.

I have no doubt this will continue to improve, but this is going to take a *lot* of work.

It does a good job seeing stop signs, lights and stopping/going-through accordingly though.
Totally agree with everything you just said. I tried it again yesterday. Route navigation was for a left turn coming off a highway ramp. It was heading to the left turn lane but then it suddenly decided to head into the right turn lane but then it realized that's the wrong lane and jerked itself back into the left turn lane. Another time, while trying to make a left turn, it would creep and creep almost 2/3 into the intersection, I had to disengage before it was too late and I would have been in the path of the driver coming the other way trying to make his left hand turn. If I was another driver watching how my car was self-driving, I would give myself the middle finger!! The only time I kinda trust it is on a straight road and on left turns where I have a flashing green. I will still keep on using it but only sparingly until the next update comes out. Isn't 10.13 supposed to be out?

Reactions: 2101Guy
If you approach the Beta as software in development that requires you to pay attention and correct any mistakes it makes, you will be happier. Like you are a driving instructor.

This software is not ready for prime time and IMO should only be given to volunteers who show they are cautious drivers. Which is exactly the program they instituted.

At times I am amazed at how miraculous what it does is, and that I was able to purchase a vehicle with this much autonomy for general driving.

What we paid for are the features currently in FSD. Not the beta. I view problems with FSD like phantom braking as a more serious feature flaw given that FSD is a paid for feature and out of Beta.

Those who are happier driving without the beta have the option to drop out or just never use it. Otherwise, keep sending camera dumps and emails to Tesla to improve it.

If you approach the Beta as software in development that requires you to pay attention and correct any mistakes it makes, you will be happier. Like you are a driving instructor.

This software is not ready for prime time and IMO should only be given to volunteers who show they are cautious drivers. Which is exactly the program they instituted.

At times I am amazed at how miraculous what it does is, and that I was able to purchase a vehicle with this much autonomy for general driving.

What we paid for are the features currently in FSD. Not the beta. I view problems with FSD like phantom braking as a more serious feature flaw given that FSD is a paid for feature and out of Beta.

Those who are happier driving without the beta have the option to drop out or just never use it. Otherwise, keep sending camera dumps and emails to Tesla to improve it.
Yep, agreed too. I just have to ask myself if I'm up for a stressful drive (FSD) or a relaxing drive (drive myself).

Overall I've been impressed with FSDb driving execution. Not perfect, but not bad As many have said, like riding with a teenager. The only real execution problems I've seen are some hesitation stops in explicable places, where I had to use the pedal to force it through because it wanted to just park in the middle of the road.

Most of the major frustrations I've seen on my drives all come down to one core issue: very poor lane choices. It fails to think ahead about lanes in traffic at all, and/or fails to realize which are turn lanes until it's too late.

As a human, I will get into the right-most lane when able because I have a right turn coming up a mile down the road, because it avoids having to fight your way into a populated lane at the last second later. FSDb really fails at this kind of thinking.

In my worst example, nav was on a feeder road going to turn left under a freeway bridge. It stayed in the right-most lane until the last possible moment, then made a double lane change all the way left into a U-turn lane, then re-corrected back right one lane into the correct left turn lane. There was no traffic so I let it play out, and it did eventually make its turn with no intervention, but the path through the lanes to get there was insane and totally unnecessary. All lane markings were crystal clear and visualized, and backed up by signage. It could have in the correct lane half a mile earlier and needed none of those moves.

Still, color me very impressed with the progress to date, and hopeful for the future :)

• Informative
Reactions: BnGrm and Yelobird
I love Elon and the company but as a new FSD Beta user I got to say it is pretty terrible. It doesn't know the meaning of smooth whether its accelerating, braking or steering. It continually jerks the steering wheel around (which if I have my hands on it like I am supposed to) causes it to dump out of self-driving. Still phantom braking on a clear day with no obstacles, left-turns are near impossible even with no traffic and then lane choices don't make any sense. It literally shows a right arrow on the screen which should indicate a right turn lane but it will try to use that lane to bypass stopped traffic to go straight. It still hasn't figured out how to handle one lane turning into two or the other way around. It will try to go up the middle then get confused and jerk around back and forth. Driving with FSD with any amount of traffic is an exercise in frustration around you as the car acts like a tweaker going through withdrawals.

I have no doubt this will continue to improve, but this is going to take a *lot* of work.

It does a good job seeing stop signs, lights and stopping/going-through accordingly though.
I am not experiencing the trouble with left hand turns that you are, I have taken many and seems to do ok. Also, PB not much of an issue. Seems like different vehicles behave better or worse. I think I got an ok one.

I do agree with the steering wheel jumpiness, jerkiness, sudden accelerate and decelerate issues. It feels like the whole system needs some kind of smoothing algorithm. I am sure it will get better.

Also, the short term route planning and lane picking is absolutely, atrociously bad. Unreasonably bad. Like, picking the wrong lane over 50% of the time bad. I often just redirect/cancel to the correct lane because I don't want to cut anyone off when the car inevitably tries to quickly get back into the lane it just exited.

I also had 2 times just today where I was in the right lane of two lanes (not a highway) and the vehicle decides to suddenly and without apparent reason veer strongly to the right. Maybe trying to re-enter itself and misinterpreting space (like a driveway maybe) as part of the road? First time I had experienced such sudden of a change, not sure what would have happened had I not intervened.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Today it kept trying to make right turns when I was just driving down the road without navigation...like, where are you going car? The worst maneuver was an attempt to turn right onto a road where I had a red light and there was oncoming traffic. Wow.

I will not be using FSD until the next release, because this one is terrible and it's a waste of time.

Today it kept trying to make right turns when I was just driving down the road without navigation...like, where are you going car? The worst maneuver was an attempt to turn right onto a road where I had a red light and there was oncoming traffic. Wow.

I will not be using FSD until the next release, because this one is terrible and it's a waste of time.
Why would you want to use FSD if you have no destination ? Yes, it turns at first right - as has been discussed here quite a bit.

Having a lot of testers was supposed to be an advantage in the "March of the 9s" towards 99.999---%reliability target. The basic driving in turns has been nervous and jerky for a year. It seems like they're stuck at 89.999. With normal software errors trouble shooting is more or less possible. With AI I wonder if it is much more difficult. Why does it continue to start a drag race halfway through a turn? If you thought your tires wore a lot before just wait. Heavy cars turning fast are murder on them. I don't think this spastic driving is due to the programmers being in the SF Bay area. Had a pleasant 70 mile freeway drive today on AP/NOA with FSD Beta off.

Totally agree with everything you just said. I tried it again yesterday. Route navigation was for a left turn coming off a highway ramp. It was heading to the left turn lane but then it suddenly decided to head into the right turn lane but then it realized that's the wrong lane and jerked itself back into the left turn lane. Another time, while trying to make a left turn, it would creep and creep almost 2/3 into the intersection, I had to disengage before it was too late and I would have been in the path of the driver coming the other way trying to make his left hand turn. If I was another driver watching how my car was self-driving, I would give myself the middle finger!! The only time I kinda trust it is on a straight road and on left turns where I have a flashing green. I will still keep on using it but only sparingly until the next update comes out. Isn't 10.13 supposed to be out?
In fact, FSD has dramatically improved since the much earlier beta, and is far far smoother and confident in its moves. However, in a way the new recruits have joined at a rather bad time, when the 10.12.x version is moving to new models that have caused the car to regress in various ways (such as the lane confusion that several have noticed).

If you are going to wait until it gets stable, then tbh you probably are wasting everyones time, since the purpose of the beta is to make it stable by driving with it.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Raised crosswalk or large wide speed bumps used in neighborhoods to slow traffic down right before an intersection

Interesting that they say that speed tables are a “traffic calming device.“ Probably just me, but they have the opposite effect on me.

In fact, FSD has dramatically improved since the much earlier beta, and is far far smoother and confident in its moves. However, in a way the new recruits have joined at a rather bad time, when the 10.12.x version is moving to new models that have caused the car to regress in various ways (such as the lane confusion that several have noticed).

If you are going to wait until it gets stable, then tbh you probably are wasting everyones time, since the purpose of the beta is to make it stable by driving with it.
The cars do not learn. They only improve when new software is installed. Tesla knows all the problems within hours so it's mostly a waste of time driving on the edge of your seat and punching the report button. The complaints are mostly "driving 101", not esoteric edge cases.

Reactions: am_dmd
The cars do not learn. They only improve when new software is installed. Tesla knows all the problems within hours so it's mostly a waste of time driving on the edge of your seat and punching the report button. The complaints are mostly "driving 101", not esoteric edge cases.
Any specific firmware version of FSD beta sometimes gives the appearance of learning, but any perceived improvement is likely due to changes in traffic conditions, lighting and weather. It's also possible that the error term in the model contributes to variability.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I didn't say it did learn (it doesnt), nor did I say you need esoteric edge cases (you dont). My point was if we all decide "I'm not going to drive the car till all those nasty issues are sorted out" then they wont be sorted out because we wont report them and Tesla wont address them in software updates. The point of a beta tester isnt to critique the car and then give up if they dont like the way the car drives, it's to continue to drive the car to give both good/bad feedback to Tesla.