Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't say it did learn (it doesnt), nor did I say you need esoteric edge cases (you dont). My point was if we all decide "I'm not going to drive the car till all those nasty issues are sorted out" then they wont be sorted out because we wont report them and Tesla wont address them in software updates. The point of a beta tester isnt to critique the car and then give up if they dont like the way the car drives, it's to continue to drive the car to give both good/bad feedback to Tesla.
I think his argument is that when a new firmware is released, Tesla has all the bugs in the first few hours from people reporting. So after a day, just stop driving with it until the next firmware.

I've been playing with it since I got it a few days ago. I love the visualizations, but obviously it's not ready for primetime at all. I'm okay with making sure the steering wheel does what it needs to do, but the biggest flaw to me is how it treats forward traffic. I had the gap set to 7 car lengths on a 45 mile an hour road, and it was following more like 3. I turned it off and used autopilot and it was much better.
Similar situation last night, engaged FSD when I saw that my street was backed up with traffic. The car jumped and sped up instead of just coasting in behind the car in front. I had to disengage right away, completely freaked out my wife.
That's that, I'll be using it only when I'm driving alone and ready to teach the car. Definitely made me appreciate how well regular autopilot works.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I've been playing with it since I got it a few days ago. I love the visualizations, but obviously it's not ready for primetime at all. I'm okay with making sure the steering wheel does what it needs to do, but the biggest flaw to me is how it treats forward traffic. I had the gap set to 7 car lengths on a 45 mile an hour road, and it was following more like 3. I turned it off and used autopilot and it was much better.
Similar situation last night, engaged FSD when I saw that my street was backed up with traffic. The car jumped and sped up instead of just coasting in behind the car in front. I had to disengage right away, completely freaked out my wife.
That's that, I'll be using it only when I'm driving alone and ready to teach the car. Definitely made me appreciate how well regular autopilot works.
Don’t think the value is in car lengths. I believe it’s speed and time.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
The beta appears to not use your AP follow distance settings (just like it doesn't use the speed-based lane change AP setting). The beta behavior is completely set by the Chill/Average/Assertive setting - which, if you read the description DOES affect the beta follow distance.

So bottom line, beta is not as customizable (yet) as AP is and it's using separate settings

• Informative
AP was released 8 years ago. Which cars had those features 8 years ago in their base price?
You're probably right but NOW it's in the base price. You don't have to fork over 12K to get it. If by AP you mean cruise control and stay in lane my 2017 Prius had that plus it beeped when it backed up. Now if someone was standing behind my car I could back up and roll right over them. No beep, no chime, nothing. You think that would be standard. I tweeted to Elon asking for it but I guess he ignore most of the tweets sent to him. Maybe he needs a twitter reader assistant. Or even an internet suggestion box?

I love Elon and the company but as a new FSD Beta user I got to say it is pretty terrible. It doesn't know the meaning of smooth whether its accelerating, braking or steering. It continually jerks the steering wheel around (which if I have my hands on it like I am supposed to) causes it to dump out of self-driving. Still phantom braking on a clear day with no obstacles, left-turns are near impossible even with no traffic and then lane choices don't make any sense. It literally shows a right arrow on the screen which should indicate a right turn lane but it will try to use that lane to bypass stopped traffic to go straight. It still hasn't figured out how to handle one lane turning into two or the other way around. It will try to go up the middle then get confused and jerk around back and forth. Driving with FSD with any amount of traffic is an exercise in frustration around you as the car acts like a tweaker going through withdrawals.

I have no doubt this will continue to improve, but this is going to take a *lot* of work.

It does a good job seeing stop signs, lights and stopping/going-through accordingly though.
1 - It stops way too long away of the stop sign.
2 - It takes FOREVER to go again even when there are no cars nowhere in sight
3 - Last night I had it drive me home on the parkway. And it KNEW to get off a right turn exit. It blew right past it but it recalculated that there was another exit after the overpass. It did that but at about 50 mph on almost a literal 90 degree turn. Had to hit the brakes

These guys posting their youtube videos with "smooth rides" I dare you to come to where I live, And I would bet the ranch FSD would go nuts if let loose in Manhattan, or Brooklyn, or Queens and so forth

If you approach the Beta as software in development that requires you to pay attention and correct any mistakes it makes, you will be happier. Like you are a driving instructor.

This software is not ready for prime time and IMO should only be given to volunteers who show they are cautious drivers. Which is exactly the program they instituted.

At times I am amazed at how miraculous what it does is, and that I was able to purchase a vehicle with this much autonomy for general driving.

What we paid for are the features currently in FSD. Not the beta. I view problems with FSD like phantom braking as a more serious feature flaw given that FSD is a paid for feature and out of Beta.

Those who are happier driving without the beta have the option to drop out or just never use it. Otherwise, keep sending camera dumps and emails to Tesla to improve it.
I am a cautious driver. What they should do is hire ALOT of employees (there actually are job openings for this on website) to drive drive 24x7x365 EVERYWHERE in EVERY environment

You're probably right but NOW it's in the base price. You don't have to fork over 12K to get it. If by AP you mean cruise control and stay in lane my 2017 Prius had that plus it beeped when it backed up. Now if someone was standing behind my car I could back up and roll right over them. No beep, no chime, nothing. You think that would be standard. I tweeted to Elon asking for it but I guess he ignore most of the tweets sent to him. Maybe he needs a twitter reader assistant. Or even an internet suggestion box?
And AP is in the base price, which is what you described (adaptive cruise control and lane keeping). Other manufacturers were inspired by Tesla as they disrupted the market, which is partly why your 2017 Prius had those features.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
The beta appears to not use your AP follow distance settings (just like it doesn't use the speed-based lane change AP setting). The beta behavior is completely set by the Chill/Average/Assertive setting - which, if you read the description DOES affect the beta follow distance.

So bottom line, beta is not as customizable (yet) as AP is and it's using separate settings
Yup. I think I have it set to Average, but will try chill.
Either way, when it sees a line of backed up traffic with stopped cars a few yards in front of it, it shouldn't aggressively accelerate.. but I see there's still plenty for them to do..

And AP is in the base price, which is what you described (adaptive cruise control and lane keeping). Other manufacturers were inspired by Tesla as they disrupted the market, which is partly why your 2017 Prius had those features.
2019......The features I want is the car to alert me when I tried to change lanes into another car (yes it happened) or when I backup at the supermarket it warns/beeps/stops the car if I'm about to run over some person not paying attention. Or cars passing behind me

2019......The features I want is the car to alert me when I tried to change lanes into another car (yes it happened) or when I backup at the supermarket it warns/beeps/stops the car if I'm about to run over some person not paying attention. Or cars passing behind me
Odd, my car does that. When I turn on my signals and there was a car in my blind spot, they turn red on the screen. And if I start changing lanes, I get a loud alarm.

Reactions: Phlier
I think his argument is that when a new firmware is released, Tesla has all the bugs in the first few hours from people reporting. So after a day, just stop driving with it until the next firmware.
Which is not correct. Tesla need bulk data to train the NNs, and this includes both positive instances (where it failed) and negative (where it did NOT fail in similar circumstances). Besides, the variables here are huge .. weather, traffic, time of day etc, and the more data they get the more they can correlate those variables with the reported issues.

The beta behavior is completely set by the Chill/Average/Assertive setting - which, if you read the description DOES affect the beta follow distance.
In AP in my rural area I use following setting 7, anything closer and people feel like they are being aggressively tailgated, but when I drive near Boston I use 1 or 2 otherwise cars are constantly cutting in front of me.
In FSDb the chill distance is more like 4 or 5 and too close to be smooth or polite.

Just drove several hours on a mix of divided highway, undivided highway, town and community roads with mostly good results. Drove up onto a rounded curb in a gated community at 10 mph. One serious phantom brake and a lot of nearly imperceptible ones. Otherwise similar issues mentioned above.
There is some good news.
On a two lane road with speed limits from 45 to 55 mph FSDb could keep up with traffic because I could drive more than 5 mph over the limit. The max speed resets every time the car sees a speed limit sign which results in some jerkiness since I have to roll the scroll wheel back up after every sign but I suppose that’s the way it should be since I am overriding the road rules.
This same road has several passing zones in a hilly section which AP completely ignores but FSDb moves smoothly to the right as it should.

• Informative
This same road has several passing zones in a hilly section which AP completely ignores but FSDb moves smoothly to the right as it should

Unfortunately, this cuts both ways. I was on a one lane each way road yesterday, and a new lane opened up to the right. FSD beta moved smoothly to the right into it. Except this was just like a 1/8 mile convenience lane to enter a neighborhood, and I had to override it back into the through lane before the car behind me took my spot and left me blocked from merging back at 50mph with my lane ending imminently.

I’m not quite sure how to solve that — at the time the lane opened, the view of the neighborhood entrance and new lane ending was obstructed by the car or truck ahead of me. Either you had to see on the map that there was an entrance drive coming up and be skeptical of the new lane… which won’t work if they stop relying on maps… or you had to know the area, or you’d have to just distrust any new lane until you’ve seen it go far enough to know it’s not just a neighborhood helper. Or maybe FSD needs to not follow so close so it has a less obstructed view to the forward right.

Now I’m not actually a new tester, and this release has been more of a step back for me. It is smoother in some ways, but freaks out at intersections a lot more, and likes to turn the wheels into oncoming traffic for left turns. I think my issue is that its problems seem less predictable. It feels like they changed out the path planning and the new algorithm still has some kinks to work out. I’m hoping some of that is cleared up in 10.13; though Elon mentioned roundabout improvements, there are no roundabouts I normally take so any advances there aren’t going to help me.

Reactions: anthonyj
1/8 mile convenience lane to enter a neighborhoo
This could be more like FSDb trying to pass around a car using a turn-only lane or picking the wrong lane altogether—it knows it’s the wrong kind of lane and uses it anyway. Or like you suspect it is confusing the short lane with a passing zone. The passing zones I experienced all had “slower tradfic keep right” signs. I think there is at least one example analagous to yours but traveling in the other direction on this same road so I‘ll have a chance to check it out next time I head that way.

Last edited: