Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You lost me at "Long Island". I feel sorry for anyone who has to "follow" your stories in daily conversation. They probably need brain surgery to straighten out those interlocking neural paths trying to do what you ask. I mean, c'mon, you could've left all that geo-tracking out and your story wouldn't have lost any context.
Sounds like the New York version of the Californians (SNL skit)!!

As FSD vehicle control gets better, weaknesses in navigation, routing, and lane selection are becoming more obvious. Some of it is mapping problems, either out of date or just incorrect. I don't know how they will get to reliable lane selection without HD maps until they are ready to start reading road signs. Maybe the answer is recording and sharing GPS traces from other drives for dynamic maps, but that is complex and prone to errors too. I have a few places in my weekly drives that beta won't get into the correct lane and misses its chance. Sometimes i let it go and it will re-route successfully... in another place it loops around to just to make the same mistake again.

The good news is, for robo taxi they can choose 'easier' routes vs the absolute fastest. 17 minutes vs 16 minutes when you are watching a video or working doesn't matter much.
Bottom line is ymmv, some areas work better, other areas sucks. Today I tried FSD on a very tricky route. I am on a city highway 55mph with red lights and need to turn right to another highway. It stopped at the red light following another car and waiting for the light to turn green to turn. However, the stupid road just right before the highway entrance has a turn lane to the BassPro Shop, I made mistake before turning into BassPro when I was not familiar with the area. Once the car start moving, Tesla moved to the BassPro turn lane and accelerate quickly, have to brake to disengage, othewise it’s going at high speed towards the curb in 2 seconds. Hopefully one day FSD will learn to read the sign ;)

Second time driving through downtown Camden ME both ways: fail. Mostly slamming on the breaks at empty crosswalks with speed lowered to 15 or 20 mph and also going wild at the turn onto the commercial strip heading south. Two blocks of nope! There are a lot of crosswalks.
Rest of 3 hour drive wasn’t so bad.
091E8E8C-78D3-425A-B225-597F09BB0105.png39F4D88C-0F0D-419F-90B8-A00493513AE2.png

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I had FSD back in october and had to unsub and lost fsd. Now just got it back and i honestly feel like its worse then back in oct. Unprotected lefts are a joke, never gets them right or feels dangerous and have to disengage. It randomly wants to dart right sometimes for no reason. When it turns the turns are very jerky and not smooth.

I dont know, i want fsd to succeed but from oct to now, seems like a huge regression. I guess ill wait for fsd 10.13 and hopefully its better.

Reactions: myshenaini
It doesn't follow it's own exit rule
It corrects its but doesn't exit one parkway to get on the other
It doesn't exit parkway to main route.
But these are issues with the Nav system (which would tell you the human driver, to follow the same route) and TACC/NoA (which handles freeway driving and on/off ramp decisions). Neither of which are anything to do with FSDbeta.

Are you saying Im responsible for FSD Beta Navigate on Autpilot mistakes?
No, but you're confusing us with sentences like the above... FSD Beta is NOT Navigate on Autopilot. Navigate on Autopilot is a separate software stack that runs when you're driving on limited access roads, ie, interstate freeways and the like. Its functionality set is completely different than FSD Beta, which is used everywhere that NoA isn't used, ie, everywhere except limited access roads.

Some of the things you are reporting have some of us thinking that you haven't correctly enabled all of your FSD Beta functionality after you received the software. You need to go into the appropriate settings and turn FSD Beta ON before it'll work. This is explained in the "welcome" email you received. So please double check your settings, and give the FSD Beta documentation a read through; it'll make it much easier to use the software, as well as what you can expect from it.

No, but you're confusing us with sentences like the above... FSD Beta is NOT Navigate on Autopilot. Navigate on Autopilot is a separate software stack that runs when you're driving on limited access roads, ie, interstate freeways and the like. Its functionality set is completely different than FSD Beta, which is used everywhere that NoA isn't used, ie, everywhere except limited access roads.

Some of the things you are reporting have some of us thinking that you haven't correctly enabled all of your FSD Beta functionality after you received the software. You need to go into the appropriate settings and turn FSD Beta ON before it'll work. This is explained in the "welcome" email you received. So please double check your settings, and give the FSD Beta documentation a read through; it'll make it much easier to use the software, as well as what you can expect from it.
I worked as a Systems Programmer for 45 years on IBM operating systems. I think I know where the FSD ON button is otherwise if I didn't why did the car drive itself. And as for freeways I was complaining about it not driving correctly on highways (as we call them in the east). As far as NOA and FSD stacks HE gives the impression that unless you are running on dirt roads in Montana the car will drive you from point A to point B on ANY street hands free.

if I didn't why did the car drive itself.
Because AP *will* work on surface streets, but you won't get FSD Beta functionality unless you have specifically turned FSD Beta on.

In every post you've made, you've shown such a lack of basic understanding of how the software in the car works, I'm really starting to doubt if you even own a Tesla, especially since a highly qualified software engineer such as yourself should understand the very basics of how it works; like the fact that you can use AP on surface streets without using FSD Beta to do so.

I was sincerely trying to help, but since you're just so nasty about everything, I'll just add you to the ignore list now, and let you go on your merry little keyboard rant.

Have a nice day.

Are you saying Im responsible for FSD Beta Navigate on Autpilot mistakes?
I didn't interpret his comment the way you did. The way I read it, he is saying the mistakes of the car missing the exit is not due to FSD computer software. It is due to the navigation data being fed to it, and that can be corrected without changing FSD software. Maybe I misunderstood as well, but I didn't interpret it as blaming you for the problem.

Reactions: drtimhill
Because AP *will* work on surface streets, but you won't get FSD Beta functionality unless you have specifically turned FSD Beta on.

In every post you've made, you've shown such a lack of basic understanding of how the software in the car works, I'm really starting to doubt if you even own a Tesla, especially since a highly qualified software engineer such as yourself should understand the very basics of how it works; like the fact that you can use AP on surface streets without using FSD Beta to do so.

I was sincerely trying to help, but since you're just so nasty about everything, I'll just add you to the ignore list now, and let you go on your merry little keyboard rant.

Have a nice day.
Let me ask you a question and please enlighten me. If I turn on AP WITHOUT using FSD beta how do I make it turn left? I tried turning on the signal and and it DOESN'T turn left. Neither does it let me get off offramps. Tell me what I;m missing I'm truly interested. If I don't give the car a destination and turn on FSD how does it get there?

Attachments

• Tesla.pdf
    385.3 KB · Views: 81
Let me ask you a question and please enlighten me. If I turn on AP WITHOUT using FSD beta how do I make it turn left? I tried turning on the signal and and it DOESN'T turn left. Neither does it let me get off offramps. Tell me what I;m missing I'm truly interested. If I don't give the car a destination and turn on FSD how does it get there?
I'm guessing he has ignored you by now, based on his comment. The answer to your question is that the car isn't going to make turns in AP (without using FSD). However, if you use NAP by plugging in a destination then it does take the offramps at the proper time.

You're a software engineer with four decades of experience. You'll figure it out. ;)

Without a destination, FSD beta tends to continue straight but will signal and turn right at a tee intersection. Roundabouts do confuse it. It stops in cul de sacs and at dead ends (no mapped roadway available). Manual use by the driver of the turn signal stalk will only cause a lane change.

Without a destination, FSD beta tends to continue straight but will signal and turn right at a tee intersection. Roundabouts do confuse it. It stops in cul de sacs and at dead ends (no mapped roadway available). Manual use by the driver of the turn signal stalk will only cause a lane change.
Not my experience. Just turned off Beta FSD and put on AP, signalled left, keep going straight.

Read his post again. You are misunderstanding. RIGHT, AP will still go straight and will not turn left when you signal. What he is saying is that it will change lanes when you put on the signal, but that is it.
That's what Im saying. I'm complaining about the hands off the wheel driving that I had to get a 100 score on. It ain't worth 12K (I paid 6)