Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what Im saying. I'm complaining about the hands off the wheel driving that I had to get a 100 score on. It ain't worth 12K (I paid 6)
I am just wondering on your return trip home when you enable AP to follow navigation (might it be already on the freeway?), did you enable the NOA button on the bottom left of the route list. Without that button enabled, AP will not follow interchanges or exits. I have yet to use FSDBeta on this scenario, where the initiating point is on the freeway and my AP was not set to enable NOA by default.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I am just wondering on your return trip home when you enable AP to follow navigation (might it be already on the freeway?), did you enable the NOA button on the bottom left of the route list. Without that button enabled, AP will not follow interchanges or exits. I have yet to use FSDBeta on this scenario, where the initiating point is on the freeway and my AP was not set to enable NOA by default.
I did the following....I pressed Navigate. I pressed HOME as a destination. I proceeded to drive and I hit the stalk twice to get it into AP

Read his post again. You are misunderstanding. RIGHT, AP will still go straight and will not turn left when you signal. What he is saying is that it will change lanes when you put on the signal, but that is it.
Yeah THAT works....hardly fully self driving. Someone EM on twitter asked if he'd separate some of the FSD stuff and make it EAP again. He said OK. Does that mean I get a partial refund?

And again he's bitching that all these other car companies are getting 7500 credit. Well maybe he shouldn't have sold 200,000 of each model. And btw he made ALOT of money these past years selling offset carbon credits to the other cars companies. Biden in his BBB bill wanted to re-instate credits, and have credits for buying a used EV car although at a lower rate. He wants to vote for a Republican president in 2024. Guess what disappears after next year? Federal tax credit for solar panels and I highly doubt a president DeSantis would renew them. As a matter of fact if you do s Google search how people in Florida are being hosed by fees from Florida Power and Light if they install solar panels.

I did the following....I pressed Navigate. I pressed HOME as a destination. I proceeded to drive and I hit the stalk twice to get it into AP
In the Autopilot menu under Navigation on Autopilot there is this Customize Navigation on Autopilot button. On top of that menu there is a setting Enable on every trip. Usually its default to NO. Set it to Yes so that on every trip it will be set. You can verify it by checking if the NOA button turns blue.

Autopilot: Includes TACC and Autosteer below.
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic
Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control

Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged

So, Autopilot will not change lanes for you, just keep you in your lane. If you have the FSD Package with Auto Lane Change, you can change lanes by using your turn signal and the car will check blind spots and change for you. It will not make turns (such as a right or left turn at an intersection).

If you are on a city street, turning requires FSD Beta.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom
Yeah THAT works....hardly fully self driving. Someone EM on twitter asked if he'd separate some of the FSD stuff and make it EAP again. He said OK. Does that mean I get a partial refund?
The FSD you paid for is not out yet. The beta is a test version of the unreleased, unfinished product. Elon never said the beta version was capable of driving you anywhere without intervention YET. He's stated it will when it's released.

When you pay a contractor to build you a house, you can't go try to live in it before it's complete and complain the faucets don't work yet and you get wet when it rains.

A few different items:

Several people mentioned an "email" they received when they got FSD. I did not received any email from Tesla. I just went out to find that the most recent update had given me FSD. I had no idea about saving the clips until I read the posts here.

Pay attention warnings: I've seen some others mention this but now it happened to me. I was headed home from work on the long freeway part of the trip. All of a sudden the display started with the blue flashing it does when you are holding the wheel hard enough. I applied more pressure, trying both directions. It started with the little red hands icons and and message about paying attention. I was pulling as hard as I could without disabling. Then it kicked me out of Autosteer for the rest of the trip. I checked the Autopilot menu when I got home and it registered a strike against me.

Multi-lane changes: I have a few places where the scenario is to turn onto a road then immediately need to get over three or four lanes to get in a left turn lane. It does not succeed at this. In fact, I don't even let it try now unless there's no one else around. I'm wondering if this can ever work. The reason I say that is that it is dubious whether a human can do it with legal lane changes. I suspect when it comes to regulatory approval it's going to be required that the traffic regs are accurately followed, much like the kerfuffle over letting FSD do rolling stops.

I’m still pretty new to FSD, only had it for 2 weeks maybe but from what I’ve read in this thread is that this version seems to be a step back from previous builds. I’m just going by what others have said as I don’t have any experience with previous versions. Anyways, whatever you think of FSD right now, it is a work in progress and we should have that perspective. Honestly, it makes some weird decisions and turns are not smooth and I gotta be on my toes when it’s on but for me, I’ll use it and report issues and hope the next build gets better. “Drive” carefully y’all’

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just received the FSD update earlier this week and have been testing it out here and there. I'm quite impressed with the significant improvement in the visualizations on the screen, but FSD has scared me half to death a few times. Some common things I noticed were:
  1. Steering wheel jerks and car accelerates too quickly during left/right turns
  2. Abrupt slowdowns on some neighborhood roads
  3. On wide unmarked roads, FSD favours being in the center of the road
  4. When there's parked cars on the road, FSD tries to go around it, even if there is oncoming traffic on the opposite lane
Feel super privileged to have a front row seat (literally) to the future of mobility, but I find myself disengaging FSD more than I would like to. Should I be putting more trust in the car?

Reactions: pilotSteve
All of a sudden the display started with the blue flashing it does when you are [not] holding the wheel hard enough. I applied more pressure, trying both directions. It started with the little red hands icons and and message about paying attention. I was pulling as hard as I could without disabling.
Just to be clear squeezing, pulling, and pushing the wheel/yoke does not signal the driver’s hands are on the wheel. Slight turning force and using the scroll wheels is the only accepted input. I find that holding the wheel stiffly does not work well and results in unintended disengagements but the weight of a hanging arm or a little pressure against the automatic rotation with just a finger works better.
FSDb puts a time limit on how long you can be looking away from the road using the in car camera and triggers a Pay attention to the road message. Looking at the screen too long can be a trigger—something I got comfortable while using AP since I could get away with spending too much time interacting with the map.

Just to be clear squeezing, pulling, and pushing the wheel/yoke does not signal the driver’s hands are on the wheel. Slight turning force and using the scroll wheels is the only accepted input. I find that holding the wheel stiffly does not work well and results in unintended disengagements but the weight of a hanging arm or a little pressure against the automatic rotation with just a finger works better.
FSDb puts a time limit on how long you can be looking away from the road using the in car camera and triggers a Pay attention to the road message. Looking at the screen too long can be a trigger—something I got comfortable while using AP since I could get away with spending too much time interacting with the map.
When I say pulling, I mean applying torque to the wheel, like steering, but not enough to disengage AP.

Reactions: Gwgan
Let me ask you a question and please enlighten me. If I turn on AP WITHOUT using FSD beta how do I make it turn left? I tried turning on the signal and and it DOESN'T turn left. Neither does it let me get off offramps. Tell me what I;m missing I'm truly interested. If I don't give the car a destination and turn on FSD how does it get there?
No insult but i think you need to study the various AP systems more, as you seem confused about what you expect the car to do or not do with the various options turned on or off.

No insult but i think you need to study the various AP systems more, as you seem confused about what you expect the car to do or not do with the various options turned on or off.
No insult taken. I look at it this way, Yes...NAV is separate from FSD but when NAV plots the course and FSD does not obey it I consider it a programmimg or whatever failure. Believe me, I've driven the car enough to know what everything does, I've had it for over 3 years (march 2019). I bought FSD for 6k Sept 2019 so I've tried it out alot and my main view is that the car is in no way ready to drive a passenger from point A to point B safely regardless of what route it takes and I think alot of people would agree with me based upon what I've been reading here. And to keep asking people to fork over 12k for software they won't eventually even OWN (FSD moves with car to new buyer) is really asking alot.

My expectations for FSD were too high so I’m likely to exit the beta. I am having to intervene on every drive and it often puts me in the exact opposite situation than i should be. Guess I’m not as ready to be a beta tester as I thought. No biggie.
I'm not going to exit, BUT, I don't appreciate everyone saying this is BETA. We're being told this is the pre-cursor to EVERYONE getting it by year's end. So if that were true and reading the last few prior posts of all the problems people are having what he is basically doing is turning every one of these cars into a 2 ton killing machine and their T&C say they are not responsible for accidents. People are not buying tons of Teslas and waiting months because of FSD. He can't build them fast enough. For those of you who are curious take a look at what the Ioniq 5 SEL Limited RWD can. Except for "self driving" it does everything Tesla w FSD can do and then some. Problem is.......they can make them fast enough. I'm gonna look into Ioniq 6 next yea. I hate SUVs because they block my side and rearview and Tesla can't even stop if I run over someone when I back out of a parking space

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm not going to exit, BUT, I don't appreciate everyone saying this is BETA. We're being told this is the pre-cursor to EVERYONE getting it by year's end. So if that were true and reading the last few prior posts of all the problems people are having what he is basically doing is turning every one of these cars into a 2 ton killing machine and their T&C say they are not responsible for accidents. People are not buying tons of Teslas and waiting months because of FSD. He can't build them fast enough. For those of you who are curious take a look at what the Ioniq 5 SEL Limited RWD can. Except for "self driving" it does everything Tesla w FSD can do and then some. Problem is.......they can make them fast enough. I'm gonna look into Ioniq 6 next yea. I hate SUVs because they block my side and rearview and Tesla can't even stop if I run over someone when I back out of a parking space
Point for us where on the Tesla site, the spec page, or in your ordering documentation where Autosteer on City Streets is shown as being released by the end of this year.

Twitter comments which are not company policy, or legally binding for a contract is not appropriate.