Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I will not equate the “beta’ of FSD beta as the traditional beta software. Traditional software beta release whether it is desktop, system, or complex enterprise software has certain expectation from the tester - shouldn’t failed on the simplest task and to be fair designed to solve a narrower scope problem. Tesla FSD capability designs inherently depends on machine learning, neural network that require lots of real world data input to help and continue to improve the decision making on how to drive in different situation, so I am not surprise if there are times of regression between releases as it trying to improve how it works. Elon mentioned last year the merging of the dual stacks require retraining of the NN. At this current form, the FSD beta is for user to help the software to improve, somewhat like a ‘hackathon’. I do not trust everything Elon says, like robotaxi in 2020, 2018 drive from coast to coast by itself, but the team did improve, same thing for FSD beta going wide end of this year - at best it is still ”beta” and not requiring driver to have 200% of alertness and patience.

Two years ago AP / NOA cannot merge and exit highway safely, it shoot a straight line diagonally across the lanes and exit at the last moment at 70mph , 5 years ago, AP will stop in the middle of the interstate thinking it arrived at location. Today, AP and auto steer are fairly reliable, and yesterday it enters and exits highway safely on the same route, it even merge in a 50mph busy service road between cars correctly. Now, on the city street is just not very useful for me, 90% of turns failed and jerky even if it works, use of speed is a concern. If I deliberately testing it then it’s fine but using it from point a to point b, I don’t expect it will succeed - at least in my neighborhood.

It’s still a long way to go, one of the issue today is decision making seems to be reactionary (even if it handles the situation correctly) but seldom defensive or use common sense/experience like a human. Who knows, may be it needs more hardware upgrades like high precision radar or more powerful computer upgrades in the future to become daily usable form, and hopefully Tesla will still honor to upgrade my 17 MS assuming I still have it and I am still able to drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsf29
No insult taken. I look at it this way, Yes...NAV is separate from FSD but when NAV plots the course and FSD does not obey it I consider it a programmimg or whatever failure. Believe me, I've driven the car enough to know what everything does, I've had it for over 3 years (march 2019). I bought FSD for 6k Sept 2019 so I've tried it out alot and my main view is that the car is in no way ready to drive a passenger from point A to point B safely regardless of what route it takes and I think alot of people would agree with me based upon what I've been reading here. And to keep asking people to fork over 12k for software they won't eventually even OWN (FSD moves with car to new buyer) is really asking alot.
ok, a couple of things...

First, yes FSDbeta should follow the nav route to the destination, and 90% of the time will follow it exactly. There are circumstances when the car will deviate however, since it may find a road is blocked or may not even exist (it wont blindly turn where there is no visible road). However, if it just ignored a perfectly good turn then that might be a map error or an FSD error, and it's worth reporting.

Second. right now no-one (not even Elon, and *certainly* not Tesla in their more official communications) expect the release version of FSD to be anything other than L2. Sure, Tesla have aspirations to L4/L5 (and Elon, in his usual Wizard of Oz modes, thinks its "very close").

Finally, I think Tesla chose the "FSD option attaches to car" because it followed the existing model for hardware options .. everything you buy with the car moves with the car when sold. Certainly its easier to understand, and probably avoids lots of issues wit insurance companies when the car is totaled. The assumption, of course, is that FSD will enhance the resale value of the car, but until FSD is released it is unclear how much residual value there is in FSD.

Let me ask you a question and please enlighten me. If I turn on AP WITHOUT using FSD beta how do I make it turn left? I tried turning on the signal and and it DOESN'T turn left. Neither does it let me get off offramps. Tell me what I;m missing I'm truly interested. If I don't give the car a destination and turn on FSD how does it get there?
-- You can't make AP turn left using turn signals since it cannot make autonomous turns at all, it can only basically follow the road.
-- NoA will take off ramps, and negotiate freeway interchanges, but that means you need NoA enabled and need to have a route in the nav system so it knows which ramps to take.
-- Without a destination in the nav system, FSD has no "there" to get to, so it simply follows the road, taking more-or-less arbitrary decisions about where to go if the road ends at an intersection.

I'm not using it anymore until the next release. .13? This thing is nerve-wracking and sometimes dangerous in it's current state.

In the last few days of of use, it
  • inappropriately drove into a round-about in front of a car already in the round-about and I had to emergency brake
  • decided ~500' away from a left turn to get into the far right lane to "avoid traffic cones" - the road was perfectly clear
  • decided ~500' away from a freeway on-ramp to make a right-hand turn on a different street, like "where you going bro?"
  • while on the highway in the center lane decided to do a lane change to the left, without noticing a car already in the lane traveling 10-15mph faster than I was, so I had to jam on the accelerator to avoid a collision/cutting off the other car too much
To re-iterate, this thing will be a miracle once it's done, but it is nowhere near done or frankly even ready for wider testing. Maybe it is the only way they can iterate further development, but you had better be prepared to watch it like a hawk, as you will be saying WTF at nearly everything it does and you will need nerves of steel. Love Elon and the company, but his timelines are complete horseshit.

Autopilot though is frankly amazing.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't have the nerves to babysit this thing at 110% effort all the time at its current level of development. Will try again and see if it is better.

I'm not using it anymore until the next release. .13? This thing is nerve-wracking and sometimes dangerous in it's current state.

• inappropriately drove into a round-about in front of a car already in the round-about and I had to emergency brake
  • decided ~500' away from a left turn to get into the far right lane to "avoid traffic cones" - the road was perfectly clear
  • decided ~500' away from a freeway on-ramp to make a right-hand turn on a different street, like "where you going bro?"
  • while on the highway in the center lane decided to do a lane change to the left, without noticing a car already in the lane traveling 10-15mph faster than I was, so I had to jam on the accelerator to avoid a collision/cutting off the other car too much
To re-iterate, this thing will be a miracle once it's done, but it is nowhere near done or frankly even ready for wider testing. Maybe it is the only way they can iterate further development, but you had better be prepared to watch it like a hawk, as you will be saying WTF at nearly everything it does and you will need nerves of steel. Love Elon and the company, but his timelines are complete horseshit.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't have the nerves to babysit this thing at 110% effort all the time at its current level of development. Will try again and see if it is better.
Yup that’s my experience as well. I only use it when I’m alone in the car and there’s light traffic.

I don’t use it much at the moment. Waiting for 10.13 to drop. But I’m kinda peeved they brought back EAP. I understand FSD is different than EAP, but since trying out FSD and all its “what r u doing bro?” I think I would have been satisfied with EAP, especially at half the cost! Wish there was an option to downgrade and get $6k back!!!

Be careful on ramp though, only use it if you have a clear view on all sides and be ready to disengage when entering highway My frequent on-ramp to the interstate has a leading road that goes up & down and the final stretch has concrete barrier. As human and sitting higher than the side camera, I can see over the barrier and anticipate the traffic when it reaches the merge point and determine how fast I should go.

FSD/AP on the other hand, can’t see or won’t take that into account. Once the forward is clear, it immediately speed up to 70 quickly trying to merge.. . No one here will slow down to let you in. One time I almost hit by a 80 mph traveling 18 wheelers cars transport, Tesla cannot made it and gave up, I slammed on the brake and stopped right at the end of the merge, from that point on, I never engage until I am on the highway from that on-ramp.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve and RayB

So why did you get on the beta?

Where’s the regen? Scenario: I use the scroll wheel to lower the target speed substantially and FSDb acts like it doesn’t like taking orders and the speed drifts down slowly. Strong regen kicks in when I cancel FSDb because I really need the car to slow down as directed.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Where’s the regen? Scenario: I use the scroll wheel to lower the target speed substantially and FSDb acts like it doesn’t like taking orders and the speed drifts down slowly. Strong regen kicks in when I cancel FSDb because I really need the car to slow down as directed.
It's just a neural net configuration which can be tweaked. Hopefully they'll make adjustments in future updates. I just hope they don't overdo it and make it feel like phantom braking when the speed limit changes down.

Discovered an interesting thing today. It drizzled a bit when I get out and I just started the wiper to clean it. After FSD is enabled as I am driving, it automatically triggered the wiper with windshield fluid to clean the windshield, that’s a corresponding message saying because the cameras in the windshield is not clear (or similar), pretty cool.

Discovered an interesting thing today. It drizzled a bit when I get out and I just started the wiper to clean it. After FSD is enabled as I am driving, it automatically triggered the wiper with windshield fluid to clean the windshield, that’s a corresponding message saying because the cameras in the windshield is not clear (or similar), pretty cool.
Yeah it's always done that. Wait till you get into a tight spot and the car folds the wing mirrors so it can fit through the gap!

Reactions: pilotSteve