Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD beta testers (June 2022) - First experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the next update was announced and most likely coming to a peasant like me that hasn’t been invited into the Beta yet but has a 97 score and has completed the 100+ AP miles in about 3-4 weeks.
That’s a long time but let’s see how it goes I guess. Will everyone who meets the entrance criteria get the invite or is it only x amount of folks?

2020 MYP

I don't think anyone really knows whether there's still some numeric cap on how many they're adding or if it's all who qualify (possibly including some hidden criteria?). They've implied that Beta will eventually open to all (who have an FSD purchase/sub and push the request button) regardless of score, and hinted that that might happen by the end of this calendar year. I'd expect them to ramp towards that by being increasingly liberal with the standards for adding new entrants from here forward, so it does seem hopeful!

I was one of the ones playing safety score games from January -> June before I got in with the June wave. I drive a lot of miles in general (~3K/month), and had been maintaining a consistent 99 (although I've heard lately that even 95 or a little lower have gotten in!), and I was putting in a lot of NoA/AP miles too (if I had to guess, I bet I was averaging at least 600 NoA/AP miles per month, maybe more).

I should add though: I don't think 10.12.2 is something that should be handed out without some standards about safety score and NoA/AP experience. I can see how it would be too-risky for some drivers. If the upcoming 10.13 / 11.x don't substantially decrease the dangers of FSDb (and recent Elon tweets seem to hint that they won't!), then those releases almost certainly wouldn't be released to just anyone that clicks a button. The liability would be too great if you've got a bunch of typical yahoos trying to defeat the safety system and play on their phone while it chauffeurs them. It's not ready for that!

I see the next update was announced and most likely coming to a peasant like me that hasn’t been invited into the Beta yet but has a 97 score and has completed the 100+ AP miles in about 3-4 weeks.
That’s a long time but let’s see how it goes I guess. Will everyone who meets the entrance criteria get the invite or is it only x amount of folks?

2020 MYP
My guess is they is a limiting the number of vehicles in the Beta test fleet. There is a finite limit to the rate of data they can ingest.

Reactions: T-Mom
I should add though: I don't think 10.12.2 is something that should be handed out without some standards about safety score and NoA/AP experience. I can see how it would be too-risky for some drivers. If the upcoming 10.13 / 11.x don't substantially decrease the dangers of FSDb (and recent Elon tweets seem to hint that they won't!), then those releases almost certainly wouldn't be released to just anyone that clicks a button. The liability would be too great if you've got a bunch of typical yahoos trying to defeat the safety system and play on their phone while it chauffeurs them. It's not ready for that!
No kidding! I hope the next release is much better. I got the current release about 6 weeks ago and was pretty disappointed. I don't see how anyone manages a "no disengagements" drive.

Reactions: Gwgan and BnGrm
I noticed something new to me, while driving with AP (no destination input) on city street. If the car in front of me is much slower than the speed limit, it will try to take over the car in the front, first signaling and then turn to the next lane. I am not sure it thinks the car in front is an obstacle or just too impatient ? ;)

I noticed something new to me, while driving with AP (no destination input) on city street. If the car in front of me is much slower than the speed limit, it will try to take over the car in the front, first signaling and then turn to the next lane. I am not sure it thinks the car in front is an obstacle or just too impatient ? ;)
There is a setting for Speed Based Lane Changes. You can adjust how aggressive it will attempt to overtake someone.

I thought I would create this thread for those of us just receiving FSD - Beta in June 2022. I just took the car out for a spin for about 25 minutes, and here are some of my experiences:

1) The car drove too fast in my neighborhood. I guess I don't usually drive 25 mph in the neighborhood lol... I think I will tone down the speed offset a little bit while I get used to the FSD.

2) Car does seem too timid (as I've noticed in lots of Youtube videos.) Had to hit the gas a few times to push it along.

3) The car made a bad choice on a protected left turn, where the car in front turned on their turn signal and moved into the turn lane. My Model Y started passing the car and then turned on its turn signal to change lanes. It should have just gotten behind the car.

4) The steering wheel moves around like crazy. Very much not like a person. Not sure why it has to do this when people can drive without crazy steering action.

5) Passed another car in a four-lane road (not a highway) like a boss. When the path was clear, changed lanes quickly, accelerated quickly to pass. Speed changes in general were way better than on normal auto pilot.

6) The car did get uncomfortably close to a curb where a third lane on the right merged into the middle lane. it didn't hit it though, but I felt uncomfortable.

7) Turning into the neighborhood, car slowed down nicely before the turn, just like I would have.

Overall, it was very satistying but a bit nerve racking. I am curious of others' experiences.
Thank you for this post. I'm a 99 score, just requested the beta. After reading your post and all the responses, I'm now going to cancel. I don't need a new hobby.

Did you ever get in FSD beta?? I’ve had all the required equip since 7/20 and safety score of 97 and still haven’t gotten into beta. 2017 Model S.
There’s been a couple of reports over on the 69.2 thread of people wanting in, getting in.

Dunno, though. It’s definitely improved from the .12 release, but it’s not quite at what I would call Wide Release state yet. Today it tried to go through a red light after stopping, something the previous release had done once or twice. Very uncommon, in my experience, but still.

Reactions: GalacticHero
I have been driving with the FSD Beta for months now and would put it in two classifications

1) on highways it is fantastic and drastically reduces driving stress but still too much phantom braking
2) in the city, it drives like a drunk 14 year old at the most inopportune times and negates any relaxation gained from item 1)

I will play with it in the city to gather data for the greater good but you better be on high alert at all times.....

For sure, a long way to go but for me for my daily commute, I am fully happy with the amount invested in FSD to date ( $ 10k CAD)

Reactions: DanCar