Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FSD details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Six lane divided well marked long street or as the State calls it a Road. Occurs on the highway at 65MPH if in center lane making a right turn into the right lane with a slight curve in the road when executing the lane change.

It is concerning how repeatable it is for you. My cars will do it very rarely, less than 5%, probably even less. Have you taken to a service center to verify cameras are calibrated appropriately? Especially if this has existed on prior versions of firmware.

NO, The system is unsafe and until a fix I will not use it. Period.
Dangerous because you could fall asleep during the lane change?

Clearly you are in charge and can take control at any time by turning the steering wheel. I don't see how the system is dangerous, it is driver's assistance snd it clearly expects you to take over when it doesn't work.

NO, The system is unsafe and until a fix I will not use it. Period.

Not sure if I'm feeding a troll of if this is legit, but assuming legitimate, I'd hate to see what you've called the NHTSA on in regards to your past vehicles and the dreaded cruise controls that keep going despite the fact the cars in front of you are slowing down! Yikes! Super unsafe!!

First, if you go on the NHTSA, I am not the first to report. Once again, in the center lane of a three lane road, posted speed limit 40 MPH. The road has a slight curve to the right, initiated a right turn with the turn signal lever fully engaged. Vehicle starts to turn right then half way into the right lane the vehicle returns to the center lane, hesitates then make a successful right turn into the right lane. Execution of lane change should be one continuous turn and not, I'll think about it.

The Car Simply Does Not Do What You Claim, so perhaps other members might chalk you up as either somebody with a Stock Short Position or you work for the Competition. Perhaps there is something wrong with your Car...
The Reporting it as Unsafe to the NHTSA just seems kinda odd to me all together... Based on my experience with the System.
I Auto Pilot in Michigan which is a Much Messier Situation with Winter & Salt on the Roads.
Auto Pilot Does not Do what you claim.
I Auto Pilot and Use Navigate on Auto Pilot a lot as well. NOA sometimes is perfect (M59 West to I75 North and Back). Other times I have to take over (I696 West to I75 South) But nothing Unsafe, I just would end up going North instead of South.
What I don't do is use it if someone is Following too Close, because the Model S can stop Faster than most Cars and on a Follow Distance of 3 I am letting everyone and their brother in & Follow Distance of 2 or Less I am highly likely to get rear ended.
I use the System on Regular Roads a whole ton & it works awesome there as well.
Lane Changes work Great, nothing unsafe at all.
The Only Time I don't use it on Regular non-highway roads is if I am in a hurry as it only allows me to go 5 mph over... Tesla would get so much more Data if they allowed us to go more than 5 mph over like we can on the Highway.

The Only Time I don't use it on Regular non-highway roads is if I am in a hurry as it only allows me to go 5 mph over... Tesla would get so much more Data if they allowed us to go more than 5 mph over like we can on the Highway.

This would be a godsend for me. I have a straight shot to work. 14 miles on a two lane road. Perfect road for autopilot! Speed limit is 55. Car thinks it's 45. So I can only do 50. No way man. Ain't nobody got time for that!!!

Reactions: GSP and emmz0r
Here is a new version that shows the upcoming price changes on 18 March 2019

kGamnw2.png
Now D is 5k not 4k (some predicted 3k)

• Helpful
Reactions: SpudLime
This has happened to me MULTIPLE times, can confirm, he was not being sarcastic. In middle lane on highway, not a car in sight, put right blinker on, car begins to change lanes then reverts back to center lane, I have to force the car out of autopilot and complete the lane change.

Model S 75D, purchased March 15, 2018, AP 2.5

Oh, I never meant to imply that lane change was perfect or that the poster or yourself did not experiance bugs. I was trying to discern if they really meant it or were using hyperbole:
Filed a report with the NHTSA concerning the use of Autopilot and changing lanes.
More than likely, they must assumed I was drunk. Also, submitted a report to Tesla. The system is dangerous!

• Disagree
Reactions: viper2ko
Oh, I never meant to imply that lane change was perfect or that the poster or yourself did not experiance bugs. I was trying to discern if they really meant it or were using hyperbole:

Yeah, the whole "dangerous" and "never use it" verbiage is over the top. I assume this is someone either trolling or someone who has zero clue what they actually bought and just wanted to buy the car as a status symbol.

Yeah, the whole "dangerous" and "never use it" verbiage is over the top. I assume this is someone either trolling or someone who has zero clue what they actually bought and just wanted to buy the car as a status symbol.

You don't think if you are driving on a crowded highway, you hit your right turn signal while AP is active and the car goes halfway into the lane and then aborts back into its original lane that this is not dangerous? This is how accidents are triggered by pass happy idiots that occupy my lane before I complete the lane change.

Reactions: GSP
You don't think if you are driving on a crowded highway, you hit your right turn signal while AP is active and the car goes halfway into the lane and then aborts back into its original lane that this is not dangerous? This is how accidents are triggered by pass happy idiots that occupy my lane before I complete the lane change.

But the poster had no one near them...
No traffic in sight, 40 MPH. Tried another on the way home and I get the same thing, but this time a vehicle is well behind me.

Plus at 40 mph, it may not have been a limited access highway, where AP is supposed to be used.

Why are you making excuses? The fact remains: This can happen on a crowded highway and cause major accidents, the car does not behave weird only when no cars are around, I can verify this from first hand experience.
Excuses?
The current discussion is due to a comment regarding my post questioning if someone was serious in their post. It has nothing to do with lane change in general...

At first, I took your comment in stride, but after thinking about it, I have to respond. First, I am not trolling. Second, Tesla a status symbol? Third, things don't get fixed unless someone complains or makes suggestions for improvement. Since the problem, the recent update has been a vast improvement, almost perfect. Suppose pilots on the Boeing 737 8/900 who encountered flight control/software problems stayed quiet, what then, two accidents and hundreds of lives lost? I am not the only one who experienced the lane change problem, in fact in other threads on this very site, numerous individuals have encountered the same problem. At 75 MPH or 40 MPH it is an unsafe situation that needs to be addressed before an accident. You can stay quiet diving your status symbol, or disseminate to others the problem and maybe save a life or two or just make rude comments. Safety First. Thank you for your interest, discussions either pro or con are always welcome.

I

It will not slow and make a 90 degree turn then accelerate like the Mercedes. Tesla should be equal to or better than Mercedes by now.
I call B.S on that statement , I have used the new NOA (2019.8.4) for the past 2 days on my way to and from work, both ways have a very tight comer in the freeway, the way to work is very tight , and autopilot slows down just as the car enters the corner and then speeds right back up after the corner. In fact today I entered the corner with an ICE car right beside me and we entered the corner and exited the corner at the exact same time. This version of AP works awesome. now hopefully they don't change it again :)

• Informative
I call B.S on that statement , I have used the new NOA (2019.8.4) for the past 2 days on my way to and from work, both ways have a very tight comer in the freeway, the way to work is very tight , and autopilot slows down just as the car enters the corner and then speeds right back up after the corner. In fact today I entered the corner with an ICE car right beside me and we entered the corner and exited the corner at the exact same time. This version of AP works awesome. now hopefully they don't change it again :)
Your one software ahead of me, looking forward to the update. Thanks, by the way do you have stoplight/stop sign recognition?

Not sure I can agree with awesome. I've been on 8.4 for just a day but have seen indications that it might not be as stable as 50.6. I'll have a better idea tomorrow. 3 days ago I drove 300 miles on interstate 55. 2018.50.6 was almost flawless using NoA. Tomorrow I'll be driving the same 300 miles using NoA and 8.4. I will have a better feel about this version afterwards. Really hope I'm not sorry I downloaded 2019.8.4

Your one software ahead of me, looking forward to the update. Thanks, by the way do you have stoplight/stop sign recognition?
Nope , I didn't hear about those features, I know they have a red light detection when on autopilot, but that's just an alarm the driver still has to take control and stop the car but my release notes didn't say I received that feature. What I did get was the New AP,dog mode, and fold mirrors based on location. I have a MCU 1 and AP 2 car.