Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New FWD switch design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't see how this image could be right. Pull, not push. Right?

Tesla-Model-X-Falcon-Door-Extrication-Rescue-Latch-Release.png

@boaterva Perhaps @scottf200 knows where he quoted it from, but it seems to me to come from the Model X First Responder Guide.

E.g. talked about here 2016 Tesla Model X Falcon Wing Doors - Absolute Rescue

Yes, I agree the latest Model X manual does get it right, as did @vandacca. I had to go and test, though. :) Funnily for the test my car had decided that there is impending doom on the left side of it (I was operating the left door) and it was super, super slow to do anything. It is rather easy to get a little confused when the door responds with delay... Obviously the car was on an empty parking lot with nothing next to or above it anywhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
My Model X arrived today. As they were prepping it for my delivery on Thursday, I asked my DS to send me a photo of the FWD switch. Interestingly it's not the "original" or the "new" one posted in this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 329
Yes, very similar to the original, but a little different. Maybe they have a supply of these they want to go thru before rolling out the new one.

It is possible they had a supply of the metal part to go through first so re-designed the middle plastic at some point - and then later on went to a full re-design?

I think this may be one part that has gone through an evolution of both durability and usability. It seems the original part had a full opening in the middle and was the most confusing and also least durable because you could pull it in different ways and pushing it was not intuitive at all. Especially if you pulled the part the "wrong way" (from the top) you might be causing extra stress to it - pulling it towards you instead of upwards.

FWIW, my Q1/2017 built Model X seems to have the same part as @P90DL (so the middle one in the images below), so not open in the middle but the whole middle of the lever covered in plastic. You close the door by pressing the middle plastic part that confusingly has no image in it. Of course you can also operate the level underneath as well - and for opening you must, since pressing the open falcon wing image won't make the lever move (I tried), which again is rather confusing still. I like the aesthetics of this button, though.

Given all the technical challenges with falcon wings, I find it surprising it took Tesla this long to see the unnecessary usability issues with its controls. They's still need to fix the big screen door controls that are confusing as heck in their placement (front door controls are placed under aka behind the falcon wing controls). I would think they'd want to make the controls as simples as possible at least instead they are still rather gimmicky.

The new button is a usability evolution, though I still can't help to think they mostly made it because the old one kept breaking and causing warranty repairs. Tesla's modus operandi seems to be that way. :)

So, evolution of the falcon wing opening button on second row:

model_x_falcon_wing_open_button_evolution_2.jpg

Last edited: