Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Gen 3 charger Error CP_a046

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

Just got my Tesla Gen 3 wall charger installed today. Whilst I’m trying to charge I get:

CP_a046 - Charging equipment communication lost.​

PCS_a046 - Power lost whilst charging
CP_a058 - Unable to AC charge - unplug and retry.

Connection drops out then the unit flashes once with yellow/orange/Red hue and then goes blue.

Tesla is only 2 months old.

Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks!

Have you tried the UMC or a third party AC charge point to rule out a problem with the car?

Have you also tried a lower charge current with the TWC? Presumably its something like 32A, so try 16A. That's done from the main charge screen and now from the app - its location aware so make sure that you check/change when car at the location of the TWC.

Update: contacted Tesla, they said that they don’t believe it’s the car. But said my house voltage is never above 220V and dropped to 206V.

Got my electrician out today who tested the lines (again!). And he said the voltage is lower than it should be (230) but got 223v on his testing, he said probably because of an economiser installed (new build).

But the car only ever seems to pull around 212 whenever I’m sat in it watching.

Would a voltage of 206V at its lowest cause the car to completely stop charging? I’d have expected to have just temporarily dropped the amp and continued on.

No idea where to go from here, everyone is blaming someone else.

UK voltage is legally 230V -6%/+10%, meaning that your supply voltage should be between 216.2V and 253.0V. The actual voltage at the chargepoint (when drawing high current) may be a volt or two lower that your supply voltage, though, due to losses in the cabling. If your supply voltage (not the voltage at the charge point) regularly drops below 216.2V, then you can complain to your electricity supplier.

But, the supply voltage in mainland Europe is 230V -10%/+6%, meaning that in most European countries it can legally be as low as 207.0V. All 230V equipment is therefor required to cope with the full 207V-253V range that exists across Europe. So, even though your supply voltage is a little lower than typical in the UK, I call bullshit on Tesla's answer.

Your car should certainly cope with a voltage of 206V, even if the UK supply shouldn't be dropping that low. If it can't cope with that, you're likely to have problems charging if you drove to mainland Europe. Something's not right there.

But also, if the voltage at the chargepoint is really dropping as low as 206V, it does seem like something is wrong there, too. Sounds like something might be wrong with the supply and/or the economiser setup (if there is one), or the cabling to the charge point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fleabag
Ah, it could be a protection device in the Tesla wall charger (or an associate O-PEN device), I suppose, although I'd expect those to actually trip, rather than just give an error in the car. I think we need an opinion from a qualified electrician (I think there are a couple on the forum? - at least, I'm sure I've seen a couple of posts from people who seem to undersand the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations)

Reactions: Fleabag
Ah, it could be a protection device in the Tesla wall charger (or an associate O-PEN device), I suppose, although I'd expect those to actually trip, rather than just give an error in the car. I think we need an opinion from a qualified electrician (I think there are a couple on the forum? - at least, I'm sure I've seen a couple of posts from people who seem to undersand the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations)

What happens is the car seems to be charging fine. The charger flashes orange/red once and then goes to blue straight after. Then I get a notification from the car saying the charging has stopped. I'm no electrician either but I'd expect the car to just adjust the amount its pulling and lower it, until its safe to go back up rather than just dropping all together?