Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New graphic since update.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The description sounds like something that's long (always?) been present in the Model 3. The arcs appear when the car is close enough to another object for its sensors to detect it. For me, they appear when I drive close to a building (like when parking in my driveway, which abuts my house) or when I drive past telephone poles or whatnot that are close enough to the street to trigger the sensors. The arcs are pale when the objects are far away, but they turn red and initiate beeping when they get very close to the car. If this is not what you're seeing, please post photos to clarify.

IMG_9825.JPG
Sorry I didn't have time to upload this earlier. This typically occurs more frequently on the passenger side of the car but also sometimes on the driver's side when an oncoming vehicle passes.

The description sounds like something that's long (always?) been present in the Model 3. The arcs appear when the car is close enough to another object for its sensors to detect it. For me, they appear when I drive close to a building (like when parking in my driveway, which abuts my house) or when I drive past telephone poles or whatnot that are close enough to the street to trigger the sensors. The arcs are pale when the objects are far away, but they turn red and initiate beeping when they get very close to the car. If this is not what you're seeing, please post photos to clarify.
This is something different. What you are describing is the parking sensor displays which show how close the car is to fixed objects.

The description sounds like something that's long (always?) been present in the Model 3. The arcs appear when the car is close enough to another object for its sensors to detect it.
This is something different. What you are describing is the parking sensor displays which show how close the car is to fixed objects.

The image you're showing is what I suggested. That said, Tesla has updated its visualization graphics once or twice in the last few months, and it's possible that these proximity displays have changed slightly with those updates. In any event, they occur both when parking and when driving, even at quite high speed, past nearby objects. Since reading your thread, I've noticed that on my car, even a curb can trigger them sometimes. They show up when driving down the highway in a lane that abuts a concrete barrier, too. When passing objects (parked cars, telephone poles, etc.), they'll "blip" for a second or two. FWIW, this is also covered in the Model 3 Owner's Manual. Check pp. 58-59 (as marked with page numbers in the PDF). The image on p. 58 shows the display with proximity "arcs," and item 6 on p. 59 describes what those arcs are:

Tesla Model 3 Owner's Manual said:
Colored lines radiate from the image of your Model 3 as objects are detected (other motorists, guard rails,etc.). The location of the lines correspond to the location of the detected object. The color of the lines (white, yellow, orange, or red) represents the object's proximity to Model 3, with white being the farthest and red being very close and requiring your immediate attention. See Lane Assist on page 99.

The image you're showing is what I suggested. That said, Tesla has updated its visualization graphics once or twice in the last few months, and it's possible that these proximity displays have changed slightly with those updates. In any event, they occur both when parking and when driving, even at quite high speed, past nearby objects. Since reading your thread, I've noticed that on my car, even a curb can trigger them sometimes. They show up when driving down the highway in a lane that abuts a concrete barrier, too. When passing objects (parked cars, telephone poles, etc.), they'll "blip" for a second or two. FWIW, this is also covered in the Model 3 Owner's Manual. Check pp. 58-59 (as marked with page numbers in the PDF). The image on p. 58 shows the display with proximity "arcs," and item 6 on p. 59 describes what those arcs are:
Thanks! I just downloaded the most recent version of the owner's manual. My original version did not have any information about the arcs that I could find. Even though I only got the car in May and it is HW3, it had a really old version of the software on it.