Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Grey for Model S

shrink

Supporting Member
May 21, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
They got rid of the old grey and kept brown? :confused: The old grey with the dark turbines looks stunning IMO. That scheme was my first choice, but having bought used, my choices were limited and I ended up with sliver.

Would like to see this in person before making final judgment.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
When you select the color swatches, it still says "grey". On the sidebar where it adds up the cost of your options, it says "metallic grey". I don't see "steel gray" listed anywhere. I also noticed that the renderings for all of the colors were updated and seem to have enhanced contrast and pop. Is this really a new color, or just a better rendering?

DrDave

Jan 22, 2012
When you select the color swatches, it still says "grey". On the sidebar where it adds up the cost of your options, it says "metallic grey". I don't see "steel gray" listed anywhere. I also noticed that the renderings for all of the colors were updated and seem to have enhanced contrast and pop. Is this really a new color, or just a better rendering?

It is definitely a new color, and it is darker than the original. I agree that people should judge it in person, there is a little more metallic in it from what I hear.

Canuck

Nov 30, 2013
South Surrey, BC
I like the fact that my car's colour will now be more rare and is no longer available. But I find this change strange since the old grey seems to be one of the most popular colours. I can understand adding this new colour, and it does look good, but taking away the old one makes no sense to me.

- - - Updated - - -

50 Shades...of Gray :redface:

Grey is the new Black:confused:

SwedishAdvocate

Jul 26, 2012
Sweden, Earth
.../ I find this change strange since the old grey seems to be one of the most popular colours. I can understand adding this new colour, and it does look good, but taking away the old one makes no sense to me. /...
I’m guessing the people in charge of esthetics at Tesla thinks this new gray is even better looking than the old gray. And as I understand it, the paint shop can only handle so many colors…

bollar

Disgruntled Member
May 1, 2013
Southlake, TX
Great news! Here's the new MC Red!

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405992663.739468.jpg

evme

Jul 5, 2013
NY
Dolphin grey lost its appeal when the author of 50 shades of grey opted for s̶i̶g̶n̶a̶t̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶d̶ black red

50-shades-of-grey-s-author-first-right-hand-tesla-s-owner-in-uk-82326_1.jpg

bigdomer

Feb 17, 2014
Franklin, TN
I had just settled on dolphin gray with painted turbines, but had not placed my order. Sales advisor called today and during the call the new gray came up. He said that the stores have the paint chip if anyone wants to take a look.

iKhalid

Feb 18, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Unbelievable! Not because I have the old grey, but it is one of the best available (or was). If they wanted to get rid of one color, they could've eliminated the least popular ones like the green or brown... They must have a reason. I bet you they're up to something.

Oct 27, 2013
Los Angeles
Well, they are definitely up to something, even if it's as simple as just a color change to offer something new to buyers. It's possible that now they may revise several or all of the current colors offered. One thought is maybe this grey looks better on the Model X than the old grey so they have started making paint color transitions in preparation for Model X production and the colors for the S will be affected as a by product.

mitch672

Jul 1, 2012
Stoughton, MA
I feel lucky to have a limited edition "collectors edition" Dolphin Grey Model S :)

They got a good deal on black paint pigment, they're trying to see how many "black variants" they can make from it. It's really so all of the colors look the same, you will conform...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC