Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Grill Design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The change to the vents and the now-protruded lower diffuser was apparently to comply with Canadian laws regarding low-speed collisions with pedestrians; to make the impact lower down at the shins rather than up at the knees.

The Signature fat lip was originally meant for easy access to the 12V battery terminals, I think. The new single piece nose cone comes off nicely with the technique that wormhole posted sometime ago (press down on the two chrome/plastic plates on the lip under the frunk).

No thanks ---> Ford Taurus

nice catch, the bottom half would have looks nearly identical to the ford taurus. then again, thats the re-designed ford taurus, which isn't actually too bad looking. I was quite impressed with their redesign (I'd still never buy one though haha).

2010_ford_taurus_4.jpg

I always thought that design change was required due to some regulation about having replaceable bumpers or something like that??

I thought it's a bumper strength regulation that mandates the bumper can take a 2.5mph impact without damage (or less than $500 to repair). The cone effectively being a plastic bumper that can be replaced for under $500. I suppose if it were to have a more elaborate design, it would be more costly to replace.

Geez, for what its worth I think the OP's idea isn't bad. I for one don't like the fish mouth at all, and I am anxiously awaiting some aftermarket option of modification. I think if the fake grill pointed down in a slight chevron it would follow the lines of the car more logically. The horizontal lines are the problem that jumps out at you. But breaking up the black gape is a fix that needs made.

Off topic, but I have never understood the chrome strips on the bottom of the doors either. It breaks up the flow for no good reason.

nice catch, the bottom half would have looks nearly identical to the ford taurus. then again, thats the re-designed ford taurus, which isn't actually too bad looking. I was quite impressed with their redesign (I'd still never buy one though haha).

View attachment 39745

I bought one of these redesigned Tauruses and it is a fantastic car, better than many imports I've driven. It is huge like the MS and makes my Roadster look like a little baby car.

gymaqa6u.jpg

@PV4EV....great designs. I'd go for them. The front "nose cone" is the weakest part of the production MS design. If the notion is that any grill at all is prehistoric ICE crap, then there should be nothing at all, like the Avanti. I don't think air intake features will disappear with newer EV car designs...don't forget, the humans inside need fresh air, and grills are still form following function, even if just for that reason.

And a similar question to this, does anyone know why the sigs had that two piece nose cone that stuck out a few inches ? Same reasoning?

As someone else mentioned there used to be small grills where those two small pieces went. They probably found out that extra air was not needed and went to solid pieces. Finally they figured that lots of pieces = more chance for failure and is more complex to assemble and finally went to the one piece nose cone. That's my take on it.

A while back there was a company doing an Aston style grill for the S. I remember the designer came by the site with a few pix to test people's reception to it. It was a lot more positive than this grill because a few did like it.