Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new grocery bag hook for m3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
new item found on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081VKHZNP

silver_hook.jpg

$13

its threaded and screws right in.

nice metal. not plastic.

not sure I agree; petg will not hold onto screw threads all that well, imho. over time, the threads will strip and your bags will be all over the trunk ;)

metal is the right thing for this job.
That's not right at all. PETG holds screw threads quite well. If I was hanging 100 pounds from it in Arizona, maybe there'd be a problem. But all it's doing is keeping them from sliding around.

That's not right at all. PETG holds screw threads quite well. If I was hanging 100 pounds from it in Arizona, maybe there'd be a problem. But all it's doing is keeping them from sliding around.

are you going to thread a metal nut on the tesla bolt, and just have the bag hook be like a 'big washer' of sorts? that might work.

but it being weight bearing, and just using a press-fit-twist kind of diy thread (no way you can PRINT threads that small), I can't see it lasting very long...

btw, there were some plastic ones that I did use a metal nut on. I didn't like that they were hard to unhook from, but they were cheap and they did fit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QY38WJD/

similar price, but you get 2 of them. you also get 'river nuts' (LOL! they are rivet nuts, but for some reason, the vendor mis-spelled it and reviewers were going on and on about so-called river-nut tool that was hard to find. damn, that was a funny one!)

^^^^^ this. I had these (the plastic ones with “t wings” and they were a pain to install and let me tell you what a pain in the $&@ to unhook from. Fairly sturdy but It was always expletive inducing to get the bags unhooked. Half the time I had to bend down, half climb/reach into the trunk bent over/looking up and screwing with the bag handles to “jimmy” it eight ways to Sunday to get it off the hook. What I “thought” was a great design (hey look at that the bags won’t slip off)! Ended up being a double edged sword.
Ordered the OP linked metal one in black, came in today and it’s machined BEAUTIFULLY. Screwed right on, snug, seems great. Looks OEM. Two thumbs up!

Ski

Got the metal one in the mail today, and used it for a Target run already.

Meh. It works, but honestly the hook is too aggressive, shallow, and close to the top of the truck, so it's more fiddling than I would like for attaching and removing the bags. It does work though, and is better than nothing. I would like to see a revised design that brings the hooks down and has longer arms with smoother tips to make it easier to use.

I noticed that there is only one exposed screw thread on the right side of my 2020 truck, and nothing on the left side. So as far as I can tell, only one of these can be used. Fortunately I only bought one.

2020-01-30 12.25.52.jpg

Reactions: Skione65 and tct118