Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So trying to decide a few things on buying/leasing a Tesla.
Here are my choices:
1. New Inventory car with almost everything I want on it vs a used Demo with the oder AP and no 21 inch wheels.
Comparing those two cars on a 3 year lease, the Demo comes up $10K cheaper. If I added the 21's Tesla is going to charge me about $4500 on the side to get them so the difference becomes about $6K vs the loaded New car.
So the question is do I get the Demo as is without the self driving AP and 19 inch wheels, or do I get it and upgrade the wheels or do I get the fully loaded New car with the updated AP and self driving??
2. The 36 month lease is about $1300 for the New car, plus about $11K down. It appears that you don't get the federal tax credit in a lease. So my question is would it be better to finance the New car and put $11-15K down and get the tax credit back thus reducing my overall down payment.
Thanks

The lessor (financing co) gets the advantage of the tax credit and they pass the savings on to you.

I leased an Model X with AP 1.0. I was worried that the tech would change fast (it did) or that I'd get a lemon.

If I were buying, I'd want the new car with the new hardware. I tend to only keep a car 2 years. If I have a good Tesl a experience, I'll probably buy my next Tesla. Ordered Teslas, like mine, aren't offered incentives. The lease are expensive.

There are numerous lease vs. own threads here. You'll get a variety of advice.

• Helpful
Reactions: robby
So trying to decide a few things on buying/leasing a Tesla.
Here are my choices:
1. New Inventory car with almost everything I want on it vs a used Demo with the oder AP and no 21 inch wheels.
Comparing those two cars on a 3 year lease, the Demo comes up $10K cheaper. If I added the 21's Tesla is going to charge me about $4500 on the side to get them so the difference becomes about $6K vs the loaded New car.
So the question is do I get the Demo as is without the self driving AP and 19 inch wheels, or do I get it and upgrade the wheels or do I get the fully loaded New car with the updated AP and self driving??
2. The 36 month lease is about $1300 for the New car, plus about $11K down. It appears that you don't get the federal tax credit in a lease. So my question is would it be better to finance the New car and put $11-15K down and get the tax credit back thus reducing my overall down payment.
Thanks

If you are considering AP 1.0. Buy a slightly used one from someone trying to move to ap2.0. Tax credit is baked in.

I'd skip 21s if you need/like range.