Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Hampshire VW Environmental Mitigation Trust Direct Current Fast Charging Infrastructure Request for Proposals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NH's latest attempt to fund fast charging in the state using VW settlement funds (RFP # NH-VW-2021-01) was released September 17, 2021. Then is was amended on October 13, 2021, November 2, 2021, December 3, 2021, and again on January 12, 2022. The funding opportunity closed on February 25, 2022, Then they posted this notice:

***Notice Effective April 6, 2022: In response to the VW Environmental Mitigation Trust Direct Current Fast Charging Infrastructure Request for Proposals (RFP), New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) received 30 application packets containing a total of 53 proposed EVSE deployment options. NHDES determined that 43 of these proposed options - representing 35 sites across 25 NH towns and cities - met the minimum qualifications of the RFP and were subsequently advanced to a scoring phase. These proposals are now being formally evaluated by a Scoring Committee comprised of representatives of the New Hampshire Departments of Energy, Transportation and Environmental Services.

Since then I have seen no updates. However, that final January 12, 2022 amendment included the text:

There are currently proceedings at the NH Public Utilities Commission regarding utility make-ready proposals. Eversource’s proposal, found in PUC Docket 21-078*, was filed in April 2021 and clearly described how their investment would be used in conjunction with settlement funds from the Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust that were awarded to New Hampshire. The hearing on this docket is scheduled in April 2022.

On August 15, 2022 the New Hampshire Public Utilities Commission entered:
Order No. 26,667 Approving Settlement Agreement, With Clarifications
for
DE 21-078
Eversource Energy
Petition for Electric Vehicle Make-Ready and Demand Charge Alternative Proposals​

My layman's take on the high points of the order:
  • Eversource received approval to spend up to $2,100,000 to support the (between $3,000,000 and $4,600,000) VW Fast Charging Infrastructure proposal.
  • Eversource also received approval for a new "DCA rate design" three year trial rate specifically for public EV chargers to avoid the "Demand Charges" problem L3 charging sites encounter in some states.
  • Eversource now has four months to implement the new DCA rate design.
  • Though Tesla apparently did not participate in the negotiations, it looks to me like they may be able to take advantage of the new rate for their Superchargers.
I am guessing this is what has been holding up the state deciding which L3 proposals to accept. Hopefully we will finally see some progress.

Reactions: kayak1
NH DOT released a plan for Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Deployment on August 1, 2022 and it is anticipated to be approved on Sept 30, 2022. It seems too vague and looks like they don't plan to have EV charging locations finalized until 2024 and have stations ready until 2025-2027.

That's not VW settlement funds. It's a plan for spending Federal NEVI funds. On page 25 it says:
As previously discussed, NHDES is adding EV charging stations using the VW Trust Funds. Until these charger locations and configurations are finalized, by NHDES and approved by NH’s Governor & Council, exact spacing of NEVI approved stations cannot be finalized. If the proposed stations aren’t NEVI compliant, NHDOT will consider upgrading the station to the minimum NEVI requirements.
So they are waiting until after DES has determined where and what the VW stations will be to move forward with NEVI funded stations.

Eversource also received approval for a new "DCA rate design" three year trial rate specifically for public EV chargers to avoid the "Demand Charges" problem L3 charging sites encounter in some states.
Liberty and (I think) Unitil have offered similar DCFC rates. The intention is to offer a rate with a lower demand charge/higher kWh charge to reduce overall costs/kWh for low utilization stations. In the Eversource filing, they specifically talk about 10% utilization as being the crossover point, above which it is probably cheaper to switch over to standard rates.

EDIT: New Hampshire regulators approve new EV charging rates for Unitil, Liberty and cut demand charges in half

Thanks for the heads up on New Hampshire's progress towards qualifying for Federal National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program funds @dfava and @tga. I had just been focused on the VW settlement funds.

For those wanting references, the VW settlement top page is: Volkswagen Mitigation Trust. For NEVI the state seems to be using EV Charging Infrastructure | Media Center | NH Department of Transportation.

The direct state funding available for DC charging under the VW settlement is somewhere between $3,000,000 and $4,600,000 plus up to another $2,100,000 in Eversource (the relevant electrical utility) connection cost funds.

"The NEVI program apportioned approximately $17 million of funding allocated over the next five years ($2,556,450 for FY 2022 $3,678,794 FYs 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026)" to encourage more DC Fast Charging sites in NH. "The current focus of the NEVI program is to fill gaps in rural, disadvantaged, and hard to reach locations in order to create a national network of EV charging stations. The overall national goal for EV charging is to provide convenient charging for all via this national network." Basically they are trying to solve the range anxiety and "you cannot get there from here" (without using Level 1 or 2 chargers) problems.

Both programs subsidize companies to create and maintain EV charging sites where adequate EV charging sites don't currently exist. Both programs have numerous back-end and reporting requirements, and require that the sites normally be accessible to the public 24x7.

From the consumer perspective, the basic NH VW settlement site requirements are at least two 50kw DCFC, each supporting both CCS and CHAdeMO, and "future-proofing" of the site with adequate power to upgrade to 150kW equipment. Plus at least one 9.6 kW Level 2 port.

The basic NEVI program requirements are four CCS 150kW ports, plus some number of 6kW Level 2 ports.

The total count of DCFC locations in New Hampshire as of April 2022 appears be nine Tesla stations, plus six DCFC sites at car dealerships, and nine other sites. Only five of those locations meet the NEVI requirements, three of which are located just barely over the border from Massachusetts, one of which is just over the border from Vermont near Lebanon, NH, and the only "interior of the state" location is in Manchester, NH. That is why currently in New Hampshire you cannot necessarily get there from here in a BEV without using Level 1 or Level 2 charging, though Tesla comes much closer than CCS.
-- Based on my manual count of Fast Charging sites listed in appendix A of https://www.nh.gov/dot/media/documents/nh-nevi-charging-deployment-plan-2022-08-01.pdf

@yousexy and @kayak1, even assuming a per site subsidy of $100,000 and only $3,000,000 in VW funds, the new VW settlement sites alone should more than double the number of DC fast charging locations in NH. Those new sites will also be intentionally spread across the state's travel corridors.

It looks like the NEVI money will be used to upgrade the VW sites to NEVI standards where possible, as well as filling in gaps across the state. Once NEVI is finished, basically any BEV with CCS should be able to drive just about anywhere a comparable ICE car could go in the state.

P.S.
Sometimes after a VW settlement funds program announces new DCFC sites, Tesla comes in and puts a bunch of superchargers at the same site.

For example Supercharger - Ellsworth, ME

I suspect Tesla is leveraging the research other companies do on where utilities can affordably install high power connections, then asking the utility if they could install even bigger wire instead. If the answer is yes, and the site owner is agreeable, Tesla gets a new supercharger location.

I am hoping that happens with some of the new NH sites.

It needs to be a meaningful amount that can make a significant impact. A charging site, say 6 ~ 8 stalls will cost well over half a mill, not to mention the cost of land.

I'm not saying this is not good. I'm saying this is not good enough.

They don't usually buy the land, they put these things where someone's already developing or developed. Lots of these sites end up as leases. As for the meaningful amount, I think $17M over 5 years is pretty meaningful when you consider you can get prices for these sites down to the $250k mark, based on research of existing EV installation programs around the US and Canada. And that's only counting DC fast charging. When we include AC charging for people living in places where they can't install their own charger, you get sites installed for a fraction of that cost. Around 10-20x the number of DCFC connectors.

For NH, our state is pretty small, so the number of sites is less critical and the number of connectors at those sites will be of importance. We've got high peaks during tourist seasons, and we'll need to cater to those peaks up through the mountains and into the national forest. There's a complete charging desert up there right now, and that needs to be fixed.

Reactions: B_E_V
It needs to be a meaningful amount that can make a significant impact. A charging site, say 6 ~ 8 stalls will cost well over half a mill, not to mention the cost of land.

The VW proposal only requires two DCFC stalls, and NEVI only requires four stalls. Also fortunately neither of these programs need to pay the entire cost of a site. They are only subsidizing companies for part of the equipment and installation costs.

In most cases the site host is actually a retail establishment such as a restaurant, grocery store, or mall wanting to attract EV drivers by giving up a few parking spaces, so land costs are almost irrelevant. The DCFC site operator is someone like Tesla, Electrify America, or Charge Point who sets up and manages the site, and shows they have an acceptable contract with the site host when applying for a grant.

For NH, our state is pretty small, so the number of sites is less critical and the number of connectors at those sites will be of importance. We've got high peaks during tourist seasons, and we'll need to cater to those peaks up through the mountains and into the national forest. There's a complete charging desert up there right now, and that needs to be fixed.

NH definitely has a small population. Page 24 of the NEVI report says: by June 2022, New Hampshire grew to more than 4,000 EVs registered. So I'm glad the NEVI report explicitly says the tourist population must also be accommodated. Unfortunately in this context, the Federal allocation of money will be based on NH's census population, not on peak tourist population.

On the bright side, installing enough DCFC plugs to barely satisfy the tourist peaks should mean most of the year residents have more plugs than they need. The corresponding down side is the economics of running a DCFC site are less favorable when the site is underutilized most of the year, which is why initial subsidies are currently needed.

Personally, my highest priority would be having enough DCFC stations for BEVs to go everywhere in the state without using L1 or L2 chargers.

My second highest priority would be to have stations close enough together that arriving at a station unexpectedly out of service with a low state of charge just meant diverting to a different DCFC station. It looks like the NEVI goal is to have a maximum of 50 miles between DCFC stations ALONG Alternative Fuel Corridors (AFC). If you leave the AFC the distance could be much greater.

Even fully built out NEVI will not be perfection. However, it should massively increase the percentage of NH reachable by BEV without using L1 or L2 charging. It appears the same should be true nation wide.

I don't expect DCFC subsidies will remain necessary over the long haul for heavily traveled routes. Though I do expect DCFC congestion during holiday travel for the foreseeable future.

The VW proposal only requires two DCFC stalls, and NEVI only requires four stalls. Also fortunately neither of these programs need to pay the entire cost of a site. They are only subsidizing companies for part of the equipment and installation costs.

In most cases the site host is actually a retail establishment such as a restaurant, grocery store, or mall wanting to attract EV drivers by giving up a few parking spaces, so land costs are almost irrelevant. The DCFC site operator is someone like Tesla, Electrify America, or Charge Point who sets up and manages the site, and shows they have an acceptable contract with the site host when applying for a grant.

NH definitely has a small population. Page 24 of the NEVI report says: by June 2022, New Hampshire grew to more than 4,000 EVs registered. So I'm glad the NEVI report explicitly says the tourist population must also be accommodated. Unfortunately in this context, the Federal allocation of money will be based on NH's census population, not on peak tourist population.

On the bright side, installing enough DCFC plugs to barely satisfy the tourist peaks should mean most of the year residents have more plugs than they need. The corresponding down side is the economics of running a DCFC site are less favorable when the site is underutilized most of the year, which is why initial subsidies are currently needed.

I know the VW settlement RFP in for the CCS station installers, but I think the short list of potential host sites that expressed interest is itself interesting. I was hoping to see more interest in hosting from the NH ski areas (Waterville Valley did, but that was it) and tourist attractions like Canobie Lake Park, Santa's Village, Story Land, Conway Scenic Railroad, Water Country, Whale's Tail, etc. Do enough NH businesses know about the program AND have an informed stakeholder willing to take the initiative to express interest in hosting? (Edit: Yes, the locations for DCFC are supposed to provide 24/7 access which many of these don't)

Many of the tourist attractions and ski areas are seasonal locations where people spend half the day. If they aren't deemed suitable as DCFC locations, they'd definitely benefit from a row of Level 2 which can ease the peak tourist congestion at the DCFC sites.

Last edited:
On the bright side, installing enough DCFC plugs to barely satisfy the tourist peaks should mean most of the year residents have more plugs than they need.

This right here.

IMO, one of the things that heeds to happen here is that our tourist industry needs to get with it here on top of the federal and VW funding sources. I can drive to nearly any ski resort in VT without worrying where I might charge my EV. In NH, you better have a plan. Offering a ton of L2 charging at resorts, likeside parking, etc would also mean people can charge while they're out doing recreation activities for several hours and not worry about finding a DCFC. That's again mostly on the resorts, but there's absolutely state funding we can use for those things at state parks.

My hope is that as more of these projects get funding and as new power cost schemes get proven out, it will be more attractive to open these as a commercial venture or to add L2 charging to condos and rental properties where tourists travel.

Reactions: dfava and kayak1
I know the VW settlement RFP in for the CCS station installers, but I think the short list of potential host sites that expressed interest is itself interesting. I was hoping to see more interest in hosting from the NH ski areas (Waterville Valley did, but that was it) and tourist attractions like Canobie Lake Park, Santa's Village, Story Land, Conway Scenic Railroad, Water Country, Whale's Tail, etc. Do enough NH businesses know about the program AND have an informed stakeholder willing to take the initiative to express interest in hosting? (Edit: Yes, the locations for DCFC are supposed to provide 24/7 access which many of these don't)
For the VW and NEVI programs, besides 24/7 access, the sites are also supposed to be close (I think within about 1 mile) of an Alternative Fuel Corridor. The NEVI document lists the current and proposed AFCs, but basically the divided highways are the highest priority. Other major numbered state roads are the second priority. It is sort of a gas station model.

I can see it making some economic sense for the kinds of business you list to install L2 chargers to attract some customers. Though it made a lot more sense when BEVs couldn't drive very far. Now, unless someone is spending the night, they should probably just charge at home with perhaps a quick DCFC supplement.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think most of the government funding for L2 chargers is now aimed at enabling overnight charging for individuals such as renters who cannot install a charger where they park.

My hope is that as more of these projects get funding and as new power cost schemes get proven out, it will be more attractive to open these as a commercial venture or to add L2 charging to condos and rental properties where tourists travel.
Overnight L2 charging for the transient and rental population is definitely desirable. Though with installed costs down in the few thousand dollars range I suspect that tax credits are a better approach than the competitive Request For Proposal approach used for DCFC sites.

At the moment Federal Tax Form 8911 covers the subject nationally. ClipperCreek, who sells EVSE equipment, maintains a page on state specific incentives.

What the heck is New Hampshire doing!? They're so slow in building chargers. Freaking taking years?

Put some fast EV chargers along I-89! Why drag your feet with the $17 million for 4 years setting up a committee, creating monitoring comitee that that consumes months and possibly years of time to dig up research, set time for public comments, etc...

Use the money right now to build the EV chargers! Eventually, this will allow further EV development in New Hampshire, creating more EV infrastructure overtime.

This is my rant. Put one station at least, maybe along Exit 9 on I-89 to start!? 5 years to plan out? How will that accelerate EV adoption? Freaking heck man. Frustrating. Put just one there as a Pilot and continue setting the committee. Sounds reasonable. But, NH is certainly dragging their feet!

Honestly, I expect NH to go as slow as legally possible, and potentially even slower if it means they lose access to federal or settlement money. There is no question that 89 and 93 should have chargers up and down both highways. No committee is needed, they already know where the heaviest traffic is.

Instead, they'll make it as easy as possible to go to ME, VT, and MA by going around NH. The only thing the state seems to be in a hurry to do is open more state-run liquor stores.

Honestly, I expect NH to go as slow as legally possible, and potentially even slower if it means they lose access to federal or settlement money. There is no question that 89 and 93 should have chargers up and down both highways. No committee is needed, they already know where the heaviest traffic is.

Instead, they'll make it as easy as possible to go to ME, VT, and MA by going around NH. The only thing the state seems to be in a hurry to do is open more state-run liquor stores.

A compromise would be to install DCFC at each of the state liquor stores. If they do that it would bring a captive audience.

A compromise would be to install DCFC at each of the state liquor stores. If they do that it would bring a captive audience.

See, this is the kind of out of the box, forward thinking we need more of these days. No place to go for 30 minutes? Why not stock up on booze and wine?? On the way to the slopes for the weekend? Some baileys would go nice in your daily coffee. I see you're towing a boat to the lakes region. Wouldn't your day go better if you had a cooler full of vodka? Camping on a rainy weekend with the family, huh? Why not make a charging stop and stock up on scotch so you can quietly wonder where it all went wrong around the fire you couldn't light?

And we get the benefit of increased revenue! This is pure genius.