Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Hardware Upgrade--No WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I had the hardware upgrades installed on Friday and once I got home I reset the BT for the phone which worked fine. However, when I tried to link to my home WiFi network I saw both my 5gb and 2.5gb networks but I got an error message that said "The Internet is unreachable. Please check your firewall settings and Internet Connection."

I tried all of my visible routers (all of which are working as far as my phone is concerned) but no luck. These are the same routers I used before the upgrade. Has anyone solved this problem? I have to wait until next Thursday to get a service tech out here to work on it. And yes, I did a reset first thing. I'm going to try powering down to see if that helps.

IMG_5537.jpg

Hi BetaV,

I have had problems connecting to WiFi.
Not since an upgrade just some intermittent problems.

Are your 2.5 Gb and 5 Gb networks the same name?
I believe that the car wants them to be the same...
Is the network security compatible with the car? I think it wants WPA2
The network cannot want a user name in addition to the password - just the password...

I believe that the car only responds to a few channels
I cannot remember which ones. (1, 6, 11 ???)

These may be a bit different than what the car was on MCU1.
I work with both an MCU1 and an MCU2.

I was at a different location recently and tangled with all of these different issues.

Good luck,

Shawn

My WiFi router supports both 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz speeds using different SSIDs--so I can choose which one I want to use. Having them the same name would certainly confuse things and has never been an issue before. As to the channel, that's auto-assigned. I can set up a new router on a specific channel. Knowing which one is required would be helpful. I believe they're all using WPA2.

Frankly, I think the hardware they just installed has failed or is defective.

That said, I found this in the documentation. I might need to ensure that the VPN port is open.
  • Reboot
    If WiFi had been working fine, but just stops working, try a reboot in the Tesla. Press in both scroll wheels for about 15 seconds, until the main display goes black. A reboot takes less than 60 seconds, but WiFi may take some additional time to get reestablished – less than 2 minutes.
  • Remove and Reconnect
    Go into the vehicle and select the antenna icon at the top of the display and go into WiFi. Remove your current connection, reconnect and enter the password.
  • Use 2.4 GHz WiFi (S/X built prior to March-2018)
    Most WiFi routers use 2.4 GHz or a mix of 2.4 and 5 GHz. If your router is set to only accept 5 GHz or perhaps a setting of “N only”, the vehicle will not connect. Change the router’s settings to allow 2.4 GHz. Newer high-end routers allow both 2.4 and 5 GHz communications at the same time, which may be beneficial for your situation. Model S and X built after February 2018 include hardware and software to support 5 GHz, as does all Model 3s.
  • Change Router Band
    On your router, check if the router is set to a congested or non-supported band. The Tesla hardware support bands 1-11, the standard in the USA. Some countries allow additional bands that Tesla cannot use, so if you’re outside the USA, be sure to use bands 1-11. Due to reduced interchannel interference, channels 1, 6 and 11 can often be a bit more reliable than other channels.
  • Use WPA/WPA2
    On your router, confirm your WiFi is set up for WPA or better WPA2. If you are using the obsolete and insecure WEP standard, the vehicle will not connect. It will connect if you have no security, but we don’t recommend anyone leave a WiFi router set to No security. It’s not an issue for your vehicle, as all communications are encrypted.
  • Unblock VPN connections
    While most routers have no problems with VPNs, some may have an option to block/allow VPNs or it has a firewall that blocks a VPN. Check your router to see if there is a VPN blocking option and set it so it does not block VPNs. VPNs use port 1194. Some routers have a firewall that blocks everything other than ports 21, 80 and 443. Allow port 1194 as outgoing. Note this is not the PC’s firewall, which doesn’t matter. This is a setting within the router itself and does not affect the security of your network.
  • Change UDP timeouts
    Some routers have a short UDP timeout that can screw up Tesla updates and downloads. If you can find UDP timeouts (not all routers have this option), for Unreplied and Assured, set the values to 60 seconds.
  • Switch to a Guest Network
    Most routers today offer a guest network option with a separate SSID WiFi Name. Some complex home systems that have a DLNA server in the network (even if wired), seem to cause connection problems with the Tesla and/or make the Tesla keep connecting and disconnecting. A guest network connection on a separate IP, without any DLNA servers, often makes it all work.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSM X100
Hi BetaV,

Trying to help...
Different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 which did you try to attach to???
You should(?) be connecting to the 5 ghz as that is what the new hardware supports...
As I said above and you restated try channels or router bands 1, 6, or 11.
WPA2
Add your VPN port 1194 allow...
Change your UPD timeout - If you are able to change it...

Was your network able to see the Tesla???
Mine shows as a device Lglnnote-XXXX Tesla X

With 2.4 and 5 with the same SSID generally devices attach to what they are capable of
and dynamically change as conditions vary...
You may want to set up that additional router with a name like "Tesla" to see what happens.
A new MAC address in the mix may actually break things loose...

And worst case if the hardware is broken - you will have tried everything...

Good luck,

Shawn

As I said above and you restated try channels or router bands 1, 6, or 11.
For your information, and that of anyone else coming across this advice, channels 1-11 are 2.4 GHz channels. The only "magical" thing about channels 1, 6, and 11 is that they don't overlap each other's frequency bands (for instance, channels 2-5 overlap 1 and/or 6 and channels 7-10 overlap 6 and/or 11). 5GHz does not have these channels, and in a typical install, there is no overlap between channels in the 5GHz WiFi band, so that advice wouldn't apply and similar advice is less likely to exist. Also, while I've never had my hands on an MCU2, 5GHz compatible hardware usually connects to 2.4GHz WiFi fine. Finally, while I can't explain it, I've had plenty of trouble connecting to the 5GHz band of various routers with separate SSIDs using devices that support 5GHz. Considering that and the fact that 2.4 GHz has more range, I'd recommend using 2.4 GHz in most cases where there is a separate SSID for each band instead of a single SSID. Further, I would NOT recommend setting two separate wireless network SSIDs to use the same name unless the device documentation says that is the correct way to have a single SSID.

Had the upgrade done last Friday, which dumped all of the car's preset information. Came home, entered my wifi password and connected with no problem. I have an Orbi mesh system with both 2.4 and 5 GHz (same SSID). I know that doesn't help you other than the fact that it shouldn't be that hard to re-connect to your system if it worked before. Probably just as well that the tech is coming.

Reactions: LJ32
I had the hardware upgrades installed on Friday and once I got home I reset the BT for the phone which worked fine. However, when I tried to link to my home WiFi network I saw both my 5gb and 2.5gb networks but I got an error message that said "The Internet is unreachable. Please check your firewall settings and Internet Connection."

I tried all of my visible routers (all of which are working as far as my phone is concerned) but no luck. These are the same routers I used before the upgrade. Has anyone solved this problem? I have to wait until next Thursday to get a service tech out here to work on it. And yes, I did a reset first thing. I'm going to try powering down to see if that helps.

View attachment 524142
Are your routers set to restrict access by MAC address? If so, you might need to add the car's new MAC address to enable it to use your wi-fi network.