Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Headlights and Taillights Confirmed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or does anyone else’s feel like NA markets are last to get any new tech or hardware software updates because we are all just stupid enough to keep buying them with the older tech and accept that we are played second fiddle to Europe-Asia? When did this become acceptable and commonplace?

And being a US domestic company which built up by early NA adopters investing and helping support Tesla, I find it almost insulting…no..truly insulting that NA is constant treated by Tesla as last pick. Why haven’t is considered done anything about it? We just keep talking about it and validating. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Maybe the fact that Asia and Europe combined have 1/4 to 1/3 of the planets consumer population?

• Disagree
Reactions: scrapps
Is it just me or does anyone else’s feel like NA markets are last to get any new tech or hardware software updates because we are all just stupid enough to keep buying them with the older tech and accept that we are played second fiddle to Europe-Asia? When did this become acceptable and commonplace?

And being a US domestic company which built up by early NA adopters investing and helping support Tesla, I find it almost insulting…no..truly insulting that NA is constant treated by Tesla as last pick. Why haven’t is considered done anything about it? We just keep talking about it and validating. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Maybe the fact that Asia and Europe combined have 1/4 to 1/3 of the planets consumer population?
I don’t think this is the case. I think they had to change the charge port due to regulations which meant change the tail lights to fit the bigger port and they threw in the headlights. Nothing is final though and I don’t think there have been any deliveries of the new lights any where in the world yet.

Reactions: SCharged

I think you will find NA gets it all first. We can’t even get a model S or model x for another year nearly over 18 months nearly since the US got them initially. Software updates US gets first.. by then through a good chunk of the product lifecycle.

Get over yourself mate.

I think you will find NA gets it all first. We can’t even get a model S or model x for another year nearly over 18 months nearly since the US got them initially. Software updates US gets first.. by then through a good chunk of the product lifecycle.

Get over yourself mate.
Ya I guess I sounded somewhat a douch. Apologies there to global buyers!

It’s more about latest changes to hardware, model Y interior panels, model 3/Y hardware chips, motors etx. Perhaps S not so much.
Being more on the MY forum, there are plethora of updates NA hasn’t received already delivered elsewhere.

I guess just seeing quotes here of NA receiving ‘one day’ and perhaps eventually…was just saying it’s odd that it’s a more common statement lately. And yes I still believe a nA company founded on the backbone of nA buyers who allowed T to grow and survive should at the least never have to say ‘Na will maybe get this one day if China/Europe have it now’

I’m all for everyone receiving updates and improvements…just odd some never make it to NA even if clearly an enhancement.

Probably because none of those parts are designed and manufactured in US. I've seen cars from Tesla Shanghai factory has much better build quality as well.
Here’s a small example:
Model 3 door panels globally were upgraded in 2021 to have the same wood/metal trim as the dash. (as per model S style). Model Y China and Europe also updated. Model Y NA? Not even a blip on the radar. Same older panels one piece plastic from 2020. If M3 is receiving the new parts in nA, clearly they have capability to upgrade the NA Y as well. That’s one of many..

And yet again people think making a car and the supply chain supporting that is just legos. Just snap fingers and things happen. Easy.
Not at all. I know full well the complexities.
I said it was one of many updates not installed into the nA vehicle again. One can think supply chain sure but when it starts to become consistent…and the Na update never occurs even a year later …leads more to marketing and design decision. Ie. sales are through the roof, demand outstripping supply so why bother updating. Well aware of economic factors as well.

I’ll just stop now as it seems no one else seems to notice. Oh well. I’ll just keep noting them and hoping that it equalizes a bit better over time with the new factories opening. Ie. Austin, Berlin

• Helpful
Reactions: jacie6056
I’ll explain it once again. Tesla knows that early adopters in NA will sell their outdated Plaid to get the new look. Who would want to drive around a $150k car that looks identical to a car built in 2011, when you can just go get the new and improved version. We can obviously afford to do so. They are about to pull the same crap with the X

If the new tail lights are not retrofittable, I’ll be selling my Plaid for the new one asap. Tesla and I are in an abusive relationship

The nice thing about the new headlights being phased-in, rather than part of a complete redesign, is that it'll probably a plug-and-play retrofit into existing cars. So when the LED eyebrows on our current headlights fail out-of-warranty, and they inevitably will, can source the newer headlights either on the used market or new directly from Tesla. I've already planned to DIY replacements in the future, as there are Youtube videos and how-to's on how to swap out when your LED's fail.

I'm making a big assumption the wiring harnesses are unchanged and compatible, but probably they will be.

I’ll explain it once again. Tesla knows that early adopters in NA will sell their outdated Plaid to get the new look. Who would want to drive around a $150k car that looks identical to a car built in 2011, when you can just go get the new and improved version. We can obviously afford to do so. They are about to pull the same crap with the X

If the new tail lights are not retrofittable, I’ll be selling my Plaid for the new one asap. Tesla and I are in an abusive relationship
i have looked at the headlights zoomed in and i cant tell them apart from the pictures :) most people cant even if my plaid doesn't have the new lights i will still take delivery.

Hi! :) May I ask a question? How is it possible, in the age of iPhone 13 Pro and Galaxy S69, that we can’t get ONE clear picture of the new Model S rear? Not even one? There has been two sightings on the road, and one in a damn showroom, but we can’t get a clear pic? I just want to see if the bar is gone or it is body color.

Reactions: oktane
I hate to break it to you but your current headlights will have continually failing DRLs that, out of warranty, cost 3200 each to replace...
Mid December the US price for headlights was $1400 each
And yet again people think making a car and the supply chain supporting that is just legos. Just snap fingers and things happen. Easy.
I think the idea of Legos is that the plastic pieces snap together, not the fingers.

A relationship that is passive aggressive, filled with privilege and denial?
New member here, ordered a new Blue S Plaid earlier today, REALLY hoping I get the new headlights but also would prefer the OLD tails with the cross bar…. Maybe I’ll get the new setup and can find someone to swap tails with me…. 😉
You'll find lots of takers.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors and croman