Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you goto:
Dashboard > infortainment > read config > goto "headlamps" and change that value. Save and apply. I watched alot of YouTube videos and looked through alot of service manuals to make a procedure for a software I don't have.
From earlier posts in this thread it seems like the tech needs level 3 access to be able to change it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Adam3 and WhiteM3P-
So if a mobile tech comes out and they don't have access they will have to do a engineer request. I overheard a tech at a Supercharger. Basically it's a session that will allow the engineers to change the given config. Not sure how easy this is.
Yes that's the authorized procedure, however, the on-call engineer will not charge parameters not originally delivered on that Vin

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Yes that's the authorized procedure, however, the on-call engineer will not charge parameters not originally delivered on that Vin.
I also learn lead tech and engineers are the ones with 1st & 2nd line access, however, if a lead tech change some configuration it should have an open ticket associated with it which in turn get checked and validate by engineering.
If lead tech changes configuration without an open ticket, there's no validation process and the configuration gets revised sometimes after through the system self checked or at update.
Hope my explanation makes sense.
I learn only lead tech

I also learn lead tech and engineers are the ones with 1st & 2nd line access, however, if a lead tech change some configuration it should have an open ticket associated with it which in turn get checked and validate by engineering.
If lead tech changes configuration without an open ticket, there's no validation process and the configuration gets revised sometimes after through the system self checked or at update.
Hope my explanation makes sense.
Correct!

I had lead tech enable fogs on our SR+. It worked for 15 min and then disappeared after we parked. I’m assuming I need engineering to change the configuration internally. Not an issue for us anymore since we’re trading it in for a MYP

Correct!

I had lead tech enable fogs on our SR+. It worked for 15 min and then disappeared after we parked. I’m assuming I need engineering to change the configuration internally. Not an issue for us anymore since we’re trading it in for a MYP
So, you had someone do something outside their purview that you didn’t pay for and it stopped working? Weird… And to solve that you want to elevate it higher to someone who even more so isn’t supposed to do what you want?

Tesla doesn’t want you to change any part on the car that requires programming from how you bought the car. A couple exceptions like homelink but if it’s not offered as an option, they don’t want you to upgrade it. They even changed charging the 12v battery so it would throw errors for non Tesla li-ion 12v batteries.

So, you had someone do something outside their purview that you didn’t pay for and it stopped working? Weird… And to solve that you want to elevate it higher to someone who even more so isn’t supposed to do what you want?

Tesla doesn’t want you to change any part on the car that requires programming from how you bought the car. A couple exceptions like homelink but if it’s not offered as an option, they don’t want you to upgrade it. They even changed charging the 12v battery so it would throw errors for non Tesla li-ion 12v batteries.

We'll repeat it again for you - it is NOT a software change, simply a configuration item, like door handles on the S, MCU upgrades...

At least now you accept there's no wiring harness change - a myth you repeatedly peddled.

We'll repeat it again for you - it is NOT a software change, simply a configuration item, like door handles on the S, MCU upgrades...

At least now you accept there's no wiring harness change - a myth you repeatedly peddled.
And again I’ll remind you I always said there MAY be a harness change. Maybe it wasn’t as simple as a software change. And changing the configuration of an item is changing the software. You are CHANGING something. It’s not a whole new software package but you are still changing the programming of the car. Which if Tesla wanted/allowed you to do, it would be readily available.

And again I’ll remind you I always said there MAY be a harness change. Maybe it wasn’t as simple as a software change. And changing the configuration of an item is changing the software. You are CHANGING something. It’s not a whole new software package but you are still changing the programming of the car. Which if Tesla wanted/allowed you to do, it would be readily available.
No, you asserted as fact that it was a wiring loom change.
It remains (as we've always said) a configuration gateway change.
I respectfully suggest you take a programming for dummies course before pontificating about a subject you have no knowledge of.

Apropos of nothing but I fitted a heated steering wheel to my 2020 M3P. The wires up to the wheel are identical, and the normal features (scroll wheels, etc) work properly, but the heating doesn't.

After a LOT of investigation work by myself and Tesla it was determined that the left body controller had been changed, and with it harnesses to internal components.

That is an example of where on the face of it wiring (that you can see) is identical, but wiring elsewhere isn't.

Apropos of nothing but I fitted a heated steering wheel to my 2020 M3P. The wires up to the wheel are identical, and the normal features (scroll wheels, etc) work properly, but the heating doesn't.

After a LOT of investigation work by myself and Tesla it was determined that the left body controller had been changed, and with it harnesses to internal components.

That is an example of where on the face of it wiring (that you can see) is identical, but wiring elsewhere isn't.
But in the context of the headlights there remain only 3 connections - ground, live and LIN (the control signal)