Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trunk and USB operation aren't part of the deployment QA built in to the update process, and neither are many of the software bugs that you infer. This is because it requires active operation of those items to detect errors and cannot be done by a CAN self-test which is built in to the modules. If it's a solid-state device or really anything not dealing with UX, then they can test it automatically. Headlights are solid-state and have a fairly narrow failure mode; maybe the calibration data could be interpreted differently (why they would deploy an update with wildly different formats is unknown but it's not impossible).

I still think you made a good point: there are indeed limits in the entire software deployment model and when it comes to unknown states dependent on users. This is why we need user-implemented rollbacks or easier methods of automatically requesting those rollbacks.

I think you misunderstood; I think the issue with the matrix headlight supply is a symptom of larger supply-chain issues rather than an innate quality of the headlights themselves. There may be indeed a common supplier issue for the chips, or it could be a logistical issue with the deliveries. Either way, I don't believe Tesla really cares about the tens of owners requesting matrix headlights when they are dealing with problems affecting thousands of vehicles on the line. They can just put a purchase order in for an owner and sit on it for months if it really is a scarcity issue rather than our run-of-the-mill logistics issues (i.e. they operate very lean and don't keep a sufficient safety stock for the current supplier landscape).
It won't be tens of users once people find out Tesla officially supports it, there would be way more people requesting retrofits. It's only tens of users now because Tesla made it clear they aren't doing it.

It's a similar thing with the CCS adapter. Now only relatively few people are handwringing about it. Once Tesla opens the floodgates with an official launch, I have zero doubt the demand would explode (including calls for retrofits).

Reactions: goRt
But the model S/X had HW2>3 updates, screen updates, CCS charger updates, S had door handle updates (numerous)

So Tesla has a history of updating parts on cars already delivered - this is simple a matter of choice on Tesla's part.
Yes, I know they did it in other cases, I'm talking specifically about headlights in this case, AFAIK there has been zero cases of Tesla doing a retrofit. Yes, I know Tesla can do it if they want to, but no incentive right now for it.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
It won't be tens of users once people find out Tesla officially supports it, there would be way more people requesting retrofits. It's only tens of users now because Tesla made it clear they aren't doing it.

It's a similar thing with the CCS adapter. Now only relatively few people are handwringing about it. Once Tesla opens the floodgates with an official launch, I have zero doubt the demand would explode (including calls for retrofits).
I have no idea what you are arguing about anymore. First it was safety, then it was about implementation, then it was about supply-chain issues, and now it is about service bandwidth (apparently) for retrofits.

No one is arguing that Tesla needs to provide retrofit kits; we are arguing for control of our own car, namely a gateway config. Tesla has the capacity to change it, but has a policy against it. This policy isn't about "opening the floodgates" as much as disallowing any owner control of the gateway config, even if facilitated by Tesla service.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
I have no idea what you are arguing about anymore. First it was safety, then it was about implementation, then it was about supply-chain issues, and now it is about service bandwidth (apparently) for retrofits.

No one is arguing that Tesla needs to provide retrofit kits; we are arguing for control of our own car, namely a gateway config. Tesla has the capacity to change it, but has a policy against it. This policy isn't about "opening the floodgates" as much as disallowing any owner control of the gateway config, even if facilitated by Tesla service.
In case it hasn't been clear, my point was always that unless Tesla offers retrofits themselves, they won't allow this at all (and reason's why that's been the case vs other OEMs). All the discussion I have done so far is why they aren't offering retrofits at this point.

Last edited:
Greentheonly said:

"the option is not called "headlamp change" the option is called "safe config change" and you just plug raw values there. tbx-internal (= ranger permissions) allows you to change any unprotected config value when plugged into the car, including the headlamps type."

200.gif

• Funny
Reactions: dasn and WhiteM3P-
AFAIK, Mando is used on the non-Performance Model Y already. Do you think it's the same one or an entirely new one?
All the non-Performance Model 3s also have Mando rear brakes, so I wouldn't care about the change at all.

As for the retrofitting of matrix headlights, I'm following this thread out of curiosity even though I would not change out my older Model 3 headlights.