Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights vs free 1yr supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I live in a densely populated area, I almost never need to rely on my headlights when driving. I'm not worried about it one way or another. As far as "features" go, US law already forbids cool headlight features that are available in Europe, such as matrix LED headlights that selectively dim pixels where there are other cars coming toward you or Audi's cool feature to project turn instructions onto the road in front of you. None of that is possible in the US due to regulations, so it really doesn't matter much here unless those regulations change.

Unless one has no access to home or work charging, or is a traveling salesperson, or drives across country all the time, free supercharging really doesnt mean all that much.

I have had my car since december of 2018 and it has been supercharged exactly 4 times, and 3 of those were before I got my home charging situated.

It might have a ton of value in the above instances ( no home or work charging, salesperson who spends all day on the road, every day, or someone who takes road trips all the time, at least once a month), but other than that its just something people think they need, that they dont.

When I used to go to the mall, where our local supercharger is, I used to laugh to myself at all the model S and X vehicles who definitely were going out of their way to get to the mall to supercharge their car.

Those cars likely cost 80-120k, and yet these owners were "trying to make sure they got their free electricity" by taking time out to go to the mall and charge... and likely spend money they were not about to spend anyway eating lunch out instead of at home, or shopping for stuff they didnt likely need "because Im here".

So, if you dont have any charging at all available at home or work, then maybe take the free supercharging. Otherwise, its not something you should be focused on. Decide if you want the new features in the 2021 vehicle or not, and dont pay too much attention to the supercharging.... unless you are in one of those buckets above.

You could get BOTH, if you take delivery of a 2021 before the end of 2020, which should be the case with my 2021. At any rate, do 2021s have new taillights (from the Y)? That has been the criticism of many, not the headlights. Hope so. Thx.

You could get BOTH, if you take delivery of a 2021 before the end of 2020, which should be the case with my 2021. At any rate, do 2021s have new taillights (from the Y)? That has been the criticism of many, not the headlights. Hope so. Thx.
2021 model 3 do not currently have the new headlights. The article states that they will be getting them but the rumors state Q1 2021

they do not have the current taillight set up at the Y. They have the standard brake light as the solid line as opposed to the C shape. Again, rumor is they will eventually get the model Y brakelights but no timeline as to when

How would you determine if you have the new headlights when taking delivery?
18C5054B-52E9-430F-A17C-2F755C924677.jpeg

Left is revised, right is current

Unless one has no access to home or work charging, or is a traveling salesperson, or drives across country all the time, free supercharging really doesnt mean all that much.

So, if you dont have any charging at all available at home or work, then maybe take the free supercharging. Otherwise, its not something you should be focused on. Decide if you want the new features in the 2021 vehicle or not, and dont pay too much attention to the supercharging.... unless you are in one of those buckets above.
Exactly.

The article I read says “By Q1 2021, we expect all Model 3 and Model Y vehicles to feature this new unit.”

Q1 begins January 1 and there are already photos of US cars being delivered with the new lights so it’s conceivable that the ones being produced in the next week or so would be delivered with the new lights and the free super charging.

Personal opinion: I’d wait for the headlights since that is something you can’t necessarily change once you’ve taken delivery. Free supercharging, however, is something you will probably only use when you’re on a road trip or a vacation. With the way this pandemic is going, we may be facing vacation-less days for the next 6 months. Therefore, half a year’s worth of potential supercharging is down the drain. Ultimately, it depends on what your lifestyle is and whether or not you value hardware over a year of free electronzz.