Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Heads Up Display for Model Y / 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my MYP was in a body shop recently for a month and a half, I drove 3 ICE cars, one of which is my mom's Volvo XC60 with an HUD. What I've realized is that I honestly prefer the MYP's center screen setup over the traditional instrument cluster. My eyes just seem to feel better looking to the right to acquire the speedometer, etc, compared to moving down to look at the instrument cluster. I love the idea of having an HUD, but I also found that I only looked at it in the Volvo when I actively reminded myself that the car has one and that I should look at it. Perhaps I'm in a small minority, but I truly like the MYP's instrumentation setup.

Here's why I think minimalism in design/ergonomics exist in Tesla UI.

RPM gauge, not needed
Oil level/temp, not needed
Gas tank level, not needed
12v Battery charge level, not needed

How many times do you fiddle with AC controls in a 20 mile drive? once, twice? If that. Most of the controls in the dashboard are a one-time "set it and leave it" interfaces anyways. Other than to show your friends all the new buttons and screens with digital RPM gauges and speedometers, there is no practical benefit of having them around in a separate console.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to geek-out on gauges and touchpads just as much as the next guy. I still own an ICE car with all the bells and whistles on the dashboard and center console for all my 10 digits. With ambient lights changing in color depending on drive-mode. Do they look cool? You 'd better believe it. But that's it. That's all it does. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nujec and schulty
The website notes a couple of things that don't work correctly with current software. They don't exactly provide confidence that they are going to fix it. Hard to get excited about spending $1,000 for something that is already out of date and may not get updated.

Reactions: tlr1000
I'm in favor of a HUD or at least a small instrument cluster similar to how VW or Ford has done it. Having basic info directly in your line of sight is safer. I understand Elon wants to be different, but being different isn't always better or necessary. The majority of car owners are used to having info in their line of sight. Offering it would just help make the change to Tesla easier. I love the instrument cluster in my Model S and it doesn't add clutter to the car. If Elon can use consumer use stats as an excuse to remove lumbar support from the seats :rolleyes:, I'm sure he can use the same data to see if consumers want an instrument cluster or even a round steering wheel.

Here's why I think minimalism in design/ergonomics exist in Tesla UI.

RPM gauge, not needed
Oil level/temp, not needed
Gas tank level, not needed
12v Battery charge level, not needed

How many times do you fiddle with AC controls in a 20 mile drive? once, twice? If that. Most of the controls in the dashboard are a one-time "set it and leave it" interfaces anyways. Other than to show your friends all the new buttons and screens with digital RPM gauges and speedometers, there is real benefit of having them around.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to geek-out on gauges and touchpads than the next guy. I still own an ICE car with all the bells and whistles on the dashboard and center console for all my 10 digits. With ambient lights changing in color depending on drive-mode. Do they look cool? You 'd better believe it. But that's it. That's all it does. :cool:
For the most part you're correct. But over the weekend while driving my S I found myself having to switch the climate control between vents and front defroster multiple times in a small span while driving on the highway. The front windshield fogs up, then clears, then fogs up and clears. The same thing happens in my truck, but in my truck I can just turn the knob between vents and defrost without looking. In the S, since it's all touch and not even haptic feedback, you have to look at every touch. The new UI made it even more difficult to quickly tap to get the defroster up.

For the most part you're correct. But over the weekend while driving my S I found myself having to switch the climate control between vents and front defroster multiple times in a small span while driving on the highway. The front windshield fogs up, then clears, then fogs up and clears. The same thing happens in my truck, but in my truck I can just turn the knob between vents and defrost without looking. In the S, since it's all touch and not even haptic feedback, you have to look at every touch. The new UI made it even more difficult to quickly tap to get the defroster up.
Have you considered voice commands?

Reactions: MrG_NY
I like the integration, but they didn't mention ventilation and how it is affected by the instrument cluster... also, I don't want a giant seam in the middle of my dash. Worse yet, it has limited functionality when compared to other instrument cluster options.

Keith

Have you considered voice commands?
I'm a millennial and I don't use voice commands in cars. Especially for repeated tasks, I don't want to be constantly telling my car "defrost on", "defrost off", defrost on", defrost off". If you can make an HVAC change quicker in a car with your voice, then your hands, there's something wrong with the layout of the car.

Re HUDs...I don't get what it is I am supposed to constantly need to know? It takes me literally 50 milliseconds to glance to see my speed (all that I can think of that I need to know...but not constantly!). I'd rather that than something constantly in my line of sight.

I was excited until I saw the thumbnail of the video that showed an in-dash display just like every other car not named Tesla.

I wonder who will come out with the first holographic 3-D HUD (as opposed to windshield projection), the kind you see depicted in sci-fis and video games. The technology is already here though probably not yet miniaturized, and prohibitively expensive. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's Tesla. :cool:

Reactions: Kenfucius