Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Heads Up Display for Model Y / 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you're saying is exactly what people said about self-driving cars, and still saying. God forbid cars driving themselves! But here we're, every carmaker will have self-driving capabilities in the next 20 years.

The whole point of HUD is that you don't have to press buttons and you don't have to look away. You keep your eyes out front where it's the safest. LOL. Of course, I'm not advocating displaying anything that's distracting. Like every good feature, it needs to be carefully thought out, but I think technology will inevitably lead us that way, just a matter of time.
Not at all. If we are all going to have self driving cars then who needs HUD? But back to today...Having a HUD does not stop you pressing buttons...all it is is a display for basic info like speed or GPS turns...you wont get wipers and seat heaters info on a HUD! You don't want much info there as it is too distracting. I had a HUD in an Audi rental...didn't like it and kept it off.

The replacement cost for my brother in law's Corvette (a C-06 IIRC) was ~$1200 because of the heads up display in the glass along with antennae, etc.
Ouch! That's steep. You can get the regular windshield for around $500. The HUD definitely adds a few hundred to the regular windshield. The good news is just a regular windshield will give you about 90% reflectivity but it might be a little blurry...but if you want to save a few hundred it might be worth it...

The replacement cost for my brother in law's Corvette (a C-06 IIRC) was ~$1200 because of the heads up display in the glass along with antennae, etc.
Windshield replacement is free with my insurance. They spent $3k replacing the glass on my '10 Prius because Safelight messed it up and couldnt get the Lane Keeping working again. (YES! a 2010 Prius had L2 autonomy believe it or not... it auto-parked, too)

Reactions: Daekwan
There's no excuse for lacking a HUD. I get Tesla wants to do the whole minimalist thing for whatever reasons. But a HUD takes up no discernable physical space from the cockpit or interior.. and can be turned completely off for those who do not wish to use it. In many modern vehicles, it projects the most important driver information & infotainment directly on the windshield.. which would certainly fit Tesla's mantra of being the safest vehicle to drive. There is nothing safer than keeping your eyes ahead & being able to see what's happening in front of a moving vehicle.

Any time you have to look down and to the right.. to see information, operate controls, or notice a change on the center display screen: means you are taking your eyes off the road ahead of you. I would imagine a well-designed color HUD + great voice controls would allow you to operate a Tesla and control most of its operation while looking straight ahead and keeping both hands on the steering wheel.

Finally, HUDs are cheap. They've been around for over 25 years in GM vehicles. And are now available in many commuter cars like an Accord or Camry. Really no excuse for a HUD to not at least be an option on the 3/Y which are more expensive vehicles.. that only have a single display and lack many physical button controls.

Reactions: davraker
People often ask me how I like my Tesla Model Y. I say that it is a wonderful balance between practical and sporty. But, there are two things that would make it an even better car.

1. HUD
2. Softer suspension

I had a HUD on both of my previous cars and miss it daily.
With Teslas extreme minimalist approach it would be so nice to have a HUD. You could make the whole in-car display a map or just turn it off completely. Then only the driver sees the information they need.

I wonder what it looks like under the dash? If you could carve out a 3"x4" chunk near the window (near the speakers) and put a display 4" or so down, you could put your own HUD in. I'm not sure if the HVAC is in the way or what. I'm just here to throw out ideas ;)